They Pay me just enough not to quit! So I do just enough to not get fired!

I remember that white shop coat......... They kept it locked up and only brought it out for photo ops. As a joke, a wag kidnapped it and had "Potemkin" embroidered above the left front pocket. I think the reference was too abstruse or arcane for anyone in management to notice. The same coat appeared in many many photos, worn by different people receiving awards or shaking hands or just a shop visit by someone in a suit. :)

I remember that white shop coat......... They kept it locked up and only brought it out for photo ops. As a joke, a wag kidnapped it and had "Potemkin" embroidered above the left front pocket. I think the reference was too abstruse or arcane for anyone in management to notice. The same coat appeared in many many photos, worn by different people receiving awards or shaking hands or just a shop visit by someone in a suit. :)
<_< Damn! 1962! Uncle Sam sent me to the Far East in 62! On a "MATS" Connie no less! Long flight! :p

THIS IS WHY THE ENTIRE FLEET IS IN, BY FAR, THE WORST CONDITION THAT I HAVE SEEN IN WELL OVER 20 YEARS!!!

COMPENSATION IS MOTIVATION!! I AM NOT FAIRLY COMPENSATED THEREFORE I AM NOT VERY MOTIVATED!!!

I USED TO WORK HALF ASSED AND NOW THAT MR. OURPAY GOT 23% MORE I WORK 23% LESS THAN HALF ASSED SO I GUESS THEY GET A QUARTER ASSED JOB FROM 95% OF THIER EMPLOYEES!!

<_< Damn!--- Looks like that be me! Look again wrench! No fan! No fan reverser! It's what it says it is! A Waterwagon!!! ;) Black smoke's a dead give away!

Yes, the 1960 picture is indeed a water wagon. I just posted it just to share. Having lived in Playa Del Rey, I knew them well. Too well. Some of them barely cleared the sand dunes.

I was asking about the 1962 picture which shows the fan reverser actuators in the "operating theater". My memory is unreliable, but I don't think I remember fan reversers that far back.

Yes, the 1960 picture is indeed a water wagon. I just posted it just to share. Having lived in Playa Del Rey, I knew them well. Too well. Some of them barely cleared the sand dunes.

I was asking about the 1962 picture which shows the fan reverser actuators in the "operating theater". My memory is unreliable, but I don't think I remember fan reversers that far back.
<_< Wrench---- In the "62" photo I believe it's just the angle the picture was taken. And I do love the picture of that Turbo Compresor! I remember the trouble we had with the T.C. covers! They had bayonet latches that never lined up, so nine out of ten times, had to be beaten into place! Sometimes with passengers watching, with their noses pressed to the windows wondering what that damn mechanic thought he was doing!!!! "Sand dunes" at LAX???

<_< Wrench---- In the "62" photo I believe it's just the angle the picture was taken. And I do love the picture of that Turbo Compresor! I remember the trouble we had with the T.C. covers! They had bayonet latches that never lined up, so nine out of ten times, had to be beaten into place! Sometimes with passengers watching, with their noses pressed to the windows wondering what that damn mechanic thought he was doing!!!! "Sand dunes" at LAX???

Those are definitely fan reverser actuators. Nothing even remotely like that on water wagons.

TCs....If our rawhide mallet went on walkabout, we even used chocks. Some were so bad we had to wrap a cargo strap around the whole thing and ratchet it tight. At that time, very few of our straps were the ratchet type, so we had to go begging to another airline to get one.

Those are definitely fan reverser actuators. Nothing even remotely like that on water wagons.

TCs....If our rawhide mallet went on walkabout, we even used chocks. Some were so bad we had to wrap a cargo strap around the whole thing and ratchet it tight. At that time, very few of our straps were the ratchet type, so we had to go begging to another airline to get one.
:) -----Damn Wrench! I didn't know you had 707 experience! And yes, those are Fan reverser actuators. I found a couple of the ol' blocker door slides in my tool box the other day! I've got to clean it out one of these days! :p

For those who feel they are paid just enough not to quit: Proof that AA didn't demand enough in concessions. :D

For those who feel they are paid just enough not to quit: Proof that AA didn't demand enough in concessions. :D

Don't get all smiley over this. Your gloating indicates an incomplete understanding of the larger issues. Actually, I think you are smarter than some of your posts indicate. You need to stop letting your hatred of unions and workers rule your responses. Get out of touch with your inner self and let the intellect have some say.

Well, some ARE quitting. As you well know, the free market speaks. That means those who can earn more will leave. The free market also speaks, telling us that the ones who are leaving are worth more. The obverse side of that coin is that the ones who stay, at least some of them, are not worth more to other employers. Fair enough. But, and (Aye, Here's the Rub).........we are losing our best people, and what is left is a lower quality workforce. A reverse Darwinism, if viewed in the microcosm of AA rather than the economy as a whole. Not "Survival of the Fittest", but "Remaining of the Least Fit". I remember wags in the Army said NCO stood for No Chance on the Outside. That sardonic irony could apply here, as well.

Many employers try to have the pay low enough so that some quit, but not too many. The problem is that most of the ones who leave are the more-qualified, as evidenced by the fact that they left for better-paying or more secure jobs.

Since I joined AA in the CR days, the ones who left were the best guys, for the most part. During the good times, few left, though. Now, they are leaving in larger numbers, and turning down recall. BTW, with all the layoffs I have been through, all the lops come back, over half of the OK guys come back, and less than half of the most highly qualified. Lower management has commented on this time and again, but there are broader issues, of course.

WE WILL SEE IF YOU ALL FEEL THE SAME AS SOON AS WE MAKE A GREAT BIG SMOKING HOLE IN THE GROUND AND THE FAA IS BREATHING DOWN OUR NECKS READY TO SHUT US DOWN!!

WE WILL SEE IF YOU ALL FEEL THE SAME AS SOON AS WE MAKE A GREAT BIG SMOKING HOLE IN THE GROUND AND THE FAA IS BREATHING DOWN OUR NECKS READY TO SHUT US DOWN!!

Ah, the sign of an emotionally stable and balanced safety professional.... Good thing my AAdvantage account isn't overstuffed with miles at the moment, so I can give UAL and CAL more of my business without worrying about whether or not I make elite status for next year, and I'll be able to do so knowing my likelihood of arriving is higher.

Then again, I thought AMR's mechanics were supposed to be far and above superior to anyone who doesn't carry a union's initials on a piece of cardboard in their wallet, so I suspect your "I'm going to hold my breath until I turn blue" argument would be better served on the 3 year old class at the local day care center....

So that is how you expect a company to prosper? The employer treats the workers as bad as they can get away with, counting on the fact that the worker has already invested years into a place and has obligations that make leaving difficult and the worker does as little work as they can get away with? That doesnt sound like a success plan to me.

Don't get all smiley over this. Your gloating indicates an incomplete understanding of the larger issues. Actually, I think you are smarter than some of your posts indicate. You need to stop letting your hatred of unions and workers rule your responses. Get out of touch with your inner self and let the intellect have some say.

Well, some ARE quitting. As you well know, the free market speaks. That means those who can earn more will leave. The free market also speaks, telling us that the ones who are leaving are worth more. The obverse side of that coin is that the ones who stay, at least some of them, are not worth more to other employers. Fair enough. But, and (Aye, Here's the Rub).........we are losing our best people, and what is left is a lower quality workforce. A reverse Darwinism, if viewed in the microcosm of AA rather than the economy as a whole. Not "Survival of the Fittest", but "Remaining of the Least Fit". I remember wags in the Army said NCO stood for No Chance on the Outside. That sardonic irony could apply here, as well.

Many employers try to have the pay low enough so that some quit, but not too many. The problem is that most of the ones who leave are the more-qualified, as evidenced by the fact that they left for better-paying or more secure jobs.

Since I joined AA in the CR days, the ones who left were the best guys, for the most part. During the good times, few left, though. Now, they are leaving in larger numbers, and turning down recall. BTW, with all the layoffs I have been through, all the lops come back, over half of the OK guys come back, and less than half of the most highly qualified. Lower management has commented on this time and again, but there are broader issues, of course.
Well done!

Back