Thinking Outside The Box

Oct 31, 2003
First, the FLL focus city US is creating, seems to be a very good idea. A vast diverse population in southern Florida should serve these announced destinations well. Hopefully the company will staff this new focus city well. Not to the bare minimums as the rest of the operation. Having said that, this should help on the revenue side, good luck with it !!!

Obviously, when a customer buys a ticket on an airline, they want to get from point a to b at a reasonable price and have a good overall travel experience. They also want to perceive value in the cost of the ticket. So what sets one company apart from its competitor, in either what it does well or falls short on from a customer perspective, will either mean repeat business (revenue) or next time having that customer go to the competition.

The company to this point has spent the majority of it's time and effort, beating the drum on costs. Mainly employee costs. Not much being said about revenue enhancement. If revenue for the company were higher and sustainable the need for cost cutting would continue but not at the pace that it has.

To increase revenue then, there's an old saying in business, you have to spend money to make money. Following are some suggestions to set US apart from the competition. But money would need to be spent. Your not going to get something for nothing.

Traveling is a stressful experience, especially for families with little ones. Also the customers who have to sit around these little customers find it stressful also. These little customers need to be occupied.

1. Have magazine and newspaper racks at gate areas to occupy the customers time sitting at the gate.

2. Coloring books and crayons , small puzzles ,for the little customers.

3. Tvs in the gate area

4. Direct tv onboard the aircraft in every seatback

5. XM sattelite radio in every seatback

6. A new customer satisfaction department, set up to call every customer who has completed travel on US, wether they fly once a year or twice a week, to gauge their traveling experience on US. What they liked and didn't like and actually have somebody follow up on the customers concerns. To what the company could do better to set it apart from the competition and increase revenue from repeat and new business.

7. Timely and honest updates as to why flight delays and cancellations have occurred

The company needs to be a LEADER in customer satisfaction and VALUE. Just a few thoughts of mine. Please add to the list or rip it apart.

The present attitude of the company is that it is no problem to spend millions for current and departing exec's, but is not interested in spending a dime on the customer experience. It still goes back to the days of USAir with Colodny. "Here we are, pay the price, take it or leave it". We can not even get a supply of pillows and blankets on the west coast for our red eye's, so I can't see the company forking over money for much of anything, with regards to our customers.

Bluetoad,

you are correct I have experienced Jetblue. Well worth the money I might add. The direct tv is a big hit for them. People in the US are technology hungry and eager to try new items. USairways is using technology against the employees to reduce costs by reducing headcount. The next step has to be to use technology to enhance the travel experience. The "added value" that I'm talking about. Neeleman knows this and is executing it.

As an example of where USairways stands on this, in 1986 American Airlines had the aadvantage machines to spit out boarding passes so the customer didn't have to wait in line to see an agent. It was used as an option for the customer. USairways introduced their kiosks in 2003 to eliminate customer service positions.

What is so frustrating to todays consumer is to make a phone call to an answering computer then after going through the phone tree and more than likely not getting any satisfaction, pushes whatever button to speak to a "LIVE" person. After an extended wait (assuming the customer hasn't hung up at this point) alot of times the "LIVE" person on the other end of the line can't be understood because of the thick accent.

Sure, companies see the cost savings because of lower wages and benefits. But what about taking into consideration the amount of lost revenue to the company because the caller just is fed up, hangs up and calls the competition ?? I've done it myself. My time is worth something. When I'm ready to spend my hard earned money I'll give it to the company who treats me the best and provides what it is I'm ultimately looking for !!!

I say get Bill Gats to buy USAirways and make it private, clean house of existing management, and let microsoft develop new In Flight Entertainment and be the leader of the Industry!!!!!!! Gives Mr. Gates a whole new avenue for Microsoft!!!!!