US Airways trails peers in customer satisfaction

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
US Airways trails peers in customer satisfaction
The Business Journal of Phoenix - 9:34 AM MST Thursday
by The Business Journal

US Airways Group Inc. was edged out by its peers in the J.D. Power Associates customer satisfaction survey released Thursday.

Tempe-based US Airways (NYSE:LCC) scored 659 out of a 1,000-point total in a review of traditional carriers for J.D. Power's 2006 North America Airline Satisfaction Study. The average customer satisfaction score in this group was 675. Houston-based Continental Airlines Inc. (NYSE:CAL) was the highest-rated with a score of 697.

The survey measured seven customer-service categories, including flight schedules, flight crews, check-in and in-flight amenities.

Among discount carriers, JetBlue Airways Corp. (NASDAQ:JBLU) topped the charts with a score of 820. The New York-based airline is known for offering in-flight DirectTV service and leather seats.

Dallas-based Southwest Airlines Co. (NYSE:LUV) was a distant second in the discount category, with a score of 735, also below its group average of 739.

"All of the airlines are struggling operationally, but that doesn't mean that passengers have to suffer too," said Linda Hirneise, executive director of the travel practice at J.D. Power and Associates.

"The airlines that have high passenger satisfaction have two things in common: They have processes in place to ensure a consistent, positive travel experience, and they have the right people working for them, who make the flying experience a pleasurable one for their passengers," she said.

Findings from the study by J.D. Power and Aviation Week magazine are based on responses from 9,334 passengers who flew on a major North American airline this year between January and May.

For more: www.jdpower.com.

Not to mentiont this stuff tends to have a lag factor anyway. When US has won that Wichita State deal, it is always announced as the downhill slide of the roller coaster is beginning.

Well as much as I hate to defend anything dealing with PHL, my assumption is J.D. Power doesn't consider the operational aspects only the cosmetic.

In that regard PHL is not terrible. It's easy to get to, Easy to get parked and to your gate. The shops are average to slightly above average. It has one of the better restaurants inside an airport in the nation in Cibo. That's the kind of stuff it scores highly on to my guees.
That's exactly what they rank the airports on, signage & ease to navigate,appearance and other. One aspect they rate the airport on is baggage recovery time, if the airport handles maintenance of the baggage systems then I could see the airport being rated for recovery times, if they dont, then they are at the mercy of the airlines.

That's exactly what they rank the airports on, signage & ease to navigate,appearance and other. One aspect they rate the airport on is baggage recovery time, if the airport handles maintenance of the baggage systems then I could see the airport being rated for recovery times, if they dont, then they are at the mercy of the airlines.

You should read the Report before making erroneous assumptions: http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/rele...pdf/2006101.pdf