Thought I'd run this up the flagpole, from the Elliott travel blog

As a side note.....I believe that some of the airlines offer incentives for doctors to announce themselves to the flight crew, or register as doctors in their profile. I remember speaking to a doctor once who does this with one of the other domestic airlines -- I think it was DL, but I'm not sure.

Lufthansa does this

Link to press release

And from Lufthansa's website:

Doctors on board

I'm feeling conflicted on this one. On the one hand I see where the good doctor getting involved helped US and the other customers on board the flight, but if the same thing had happened in a store or restaurant would the doctor have EXPECTED the company to provide him with "something"? Free meals every week for a year, a voucher for store goods, 52" flat screen with surround sound?

If the same thing happened in a store or restaurant, the doctor wouldn't have had to assist the patient for 4 hours, unless that's how long it took the ambulance to arrive which is highly doubtful.

I think the vouchers were to much. He should receive NADA, ZERO, NOTHING.

Good Will is just that.

I bet he sent a bill too.

BTW the form the F/A fills out in the medical kit is a letter of thanks.

The champagne that he took and dosent drink shows the greedy mentality of him.

The helping of a person in need and a simple THANKS from the F/A should be enough

Well here comes my warped view on the topic.

First, what if the situation didn't have a happy ending? What if the person had died while the doctor was caring for her? Where would the buck end? Doctor or Airways? I'll bet Airways would get the suit and counter-sue the doctor.

The guy was inconvenienced, lost at least one day on his planned 'relaxing' vacation, and offered medical assistance that most doctors would ask for proof of insurance first and a written document barring them from liability second.

In today's world nothing is free and morals are long gone!

Even if insurance would have covered the airline's loss, the doctor should be compensated. If not tickets, then put him on his vacation over-time clock and compensate him his rate for his hours of work.

Bet those Tel Aviv First class tickets look a lot better now, don't they?

Has anyone considered that the doctor may have gone against Medlink's wishes because HE didn't want to divert? He knew if there was a diversion, hours if not a day may have been involved. Losing four hours of sleep on a flight OR lose a day??? Hmmmmm. Asking for free airline tickets and turning down a free bottle of bubbly just shows his lack of moral character. Just sayin. :up:

Has anyone considered that the doctor may have gone against Medlink's wishes because HE didn't want to divert? He knew if there was a diversion, hours if not a day may have been involved. Losing four hours of sleep on a flight OR lose a day??? Hmmmmm. Asking for free airline tickets and turning down a free bottle of bubbly just shows his lack of moral character. Just sayin. :up:

BINGO!! We have a winner.

According to the doctors own words.........the US Medlink physician highly suggested that the flight be diverted but wasn't because he induced vomiting and kept her hydrated.

He had ulterior motives plain and simple. He didn't want to delay his vacation with his wife.

Also why did he feel it was necessary to "stay" with the passenger for 4 hours? I've never had any doctor "stay" with me when I'm in the hospital. He was simply yards away from her and he could have returned to his seat at any time he felt she was stable and checked on her throughout the rest of the flight. Or had the crew awaken him so he could get some sleep.

His whole story is filled with ME ME ME attitude and he wants US to pay for his trip to Tel Aviv. Call me cynical, I don't care, he's just wanting something for nothing.

And as for getting a bottle of champagne from the flight crew as a kind jesture. I've received many bottles of wine and a bottle of champagne from a UA F/A once. Did I drink them? No, because I don't drink. But I accepted them and gave them to friends or total strangers. Again his complaining of not drinking alcohol is more whining to gain something for nothing.

Give the doctor a pass to go swimming off the Cape with the rest of the sharks. When you help like that it is just flat greedy to expect more than a thank you.