Time to Monger a Rumor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who needs cash, it usually done with credit, stock and taking on debt.

They seemed to have a credible offer for F9.

Not to disparage the West or the East - believe me the East hasn't shown the value that many would like to attribute to it. But what are things really worth?

Time will tell. Depending on the dynamics the value probably changes for each entity.

What I'm interested in is - has anyone else heard what I have heard and does it seem plausible that we will be split up?

I don't mean to sound like USA.... but when you hear things multiple times you begin to wonder.

Don't forget that Republic Holdings also owns pretty much all the commuter slots in DCA and LGA... and they do no flying out west, so if Bedford wanted his paws on anything, I'd have to suggest its the east side.
But that's not what I heard (granted, that's not saying much) AND the fact they went for F9 with $100 million.

Time and time again, someone posts that AA really needs another hub, this time in Charlotte, NC and that the CLT hub would bring AA untold riches. Generally, that rationale is posted by the same two or three individuals.

As if hubs in Chicago, Fort Worth and Miami, the third, fourth and seventh largest metropolitan areas, aren't enough. What AA really needs is a hub in the 34th largest metro area. The O&D must be staggering.

Well now for my 2 cents worth.

I talked to a j/s pilot that works for AA and asked him about this today. He was clueless about the possibility but was delighted at the idea. He thought it was a grand idea because it would offset the Delta/Norhtwest merger.

But when I asked him about intergrating our unions he got a bit befuddled. I think he is new and just didn't know what to say.
That's okay.

As for the question....can we split the operations? No...we can not. We are operating under one certificate.

It's all or nothing.

Time and time again, someone posts that AA really needs another hub, this time in Charlotte, NC and that the CLT hub would bring AA untold riches. Generally, that rationale is posted by the same two or three individuals.

As if hubs in Chicago, Fort Worth and Miami, the third, fourth and seventh largest metropolitan areas, aren't enough. What AA really needs is a hub in the 34th largest metro area. The O&D must be staggering.
So STL is doing so well and RDU is going gangbusters?.

No one particularly wants to be part of AA but you hear this stuff so is it not pertinent to ask?

Apparently everything is set in stone at AA and nothing will ever change - keep thinking that way.

If you haven't noticed from earlier posts that it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense and is not desirable from our point of view.

Please read the whole thread when visiting.

Will this also end in another big announcement on Friday? :lol: Will there be a skirmish among posters on who first mentioned it? :lol: Is there a better word than sad to describe this? maybe pathetic? :D

....can we split the operations? No...we can not. We are operating under one certificate.

It's all or nothing..
Maybe not exactly the same thing but as I recall in one of the UA go rounds the 75s would go to AA with crew.

I guess AA wanted something from US. Imagine what would have happened to those guys if the merger had gone through.

I would imagine since AA is furloughing people they might not be in such a grand position as they are accustom to.

American Airlines is sitting on a goldmine and yet losing Millions :lol: Nice.

Anyway. I don't know if you're aware. But apparently there is too much capacity in the skies - or so they say - and there needs to be consolidation. If US Airways and American Airlines merge - that would be called consolidation. Charlotte and Philadelphia and DCA/LGA slots would just be a benefit (more furniture to burn) to American Airlines consolidating with US Airways. No one is saying American Airlines needs Charlotte and Phili to survive. If American can't make NYC, Chicago, Miami, nor Dallas Texas work, well... I highly doubt Phili and Charlotte can fix American's problems...

Anyway, doesn't Philadelphia, Charlotte, and DCA make money for US Airways? Or was that before the recession? I recall hearing the whole "East operations made money yet West lost money" but I can't remember how long ago that was :p

weird I heard Kirby say we are losing big money in LGA and i quote:

"(LGA) is an operation that loses a lot of money, it's the least profitable, most unprofitable flying that we have" (Scott Kirby 07/29/09)

Be Careful,

I believe the argument is if USAPA wins its appeal and the case is remanded back to Judge Wake's court lets say for the sake of argument Addington loses and USAPA is not guilty of DFR. Now we have a federal order, which would apparently override the McCaskill-Bond amendment to the Omnibus bill, where the union would apparently be free to re-order seniority inside the contract.

Now for example, lets say US Airways and American merge. American's Flight Attendants are unhappy about the McCaskill-Bond amendment so they decide to do what USAPA has taught the industry. The APFA and its members decide to elect a new union, use their majority votes to impose their will on the US Airways Flight Attendants, and they staple the US Airways Flight Attendants to the bottom of the merged seniority list, just like the APFA and American Flight Attendants did to the TWA Flight Attendants.

When you think about this deeper not only is USAPA's actions hurting the pilots it has the potential to be very damaging to every employee on the property if a merger occurs like you indicated to start this thread. I encourage every US Airways employee to closely read this link, by clicking here to think about how the pilots union's actions could affect you.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

This analysis is not correct.

1. McCaskill- Bond did not become law until Jan 1. 2008. This merger was announced in 2005.
The bill clearly states it applies to mergers after the effective date of the bill.

2. Judge Wake himself has stated, as has the Supreme Court, that seniority can be revisited, even inside a contract. This can occour if it is in the best interest of the bargaining unit.

3. USAPA is making no law here. The law has always stated this. It goes back to case law since 1964, with Humphrey v. Moore in the Supreme Court.

4. Any change to a seniority list must be in the interest of the bargining unit as a whole.

5. Judge Wake did not allow the jury to hear any of the case law supporting USAPA's position and this will form a majority of the appeal.

The scenario you describe is highly unlikely.

All mergers are in fact acquisitions so it's an irrelevant distinction.

The Bond-McCaskill law takes effect if at least 51% of a company is acquired. This could be a player.

Now there's an interesting point. If the company were to be split along east-west line, the east is more than 51% of the operation and Bond-McCaskill would apply. The west, being less than 51%....well?

As for the question....can we split the operations? No...we can not. We are operating under one certificate.

It's all or nothing.

Operating under one certificate has absolutely nothing to do with the corporation's ability to part itself out. Eastern was operating under one certificate when it sold its shuttle operations to Trump. That's just one of many examples.

weird I heard Kirby say we are losing big money in LGA and i quote:

"(LGA) is an operation that loses a lot of money, it's the least profitable, most unprofitable flying that we have" (Scott Kirby 07/29/09)

As I mentioned in the Big Announcement thread, so much of the LGA flying is done by a mishmash of cost plus carriers, it simply isn't viable.If that flying were pared down to Eagle and the wholly owned feeders of US, it might be a different story.

AA is in stall mode with labor negotiations at the moment, so I really can't see them leaping into anything until they get their ducks in the proverbial row.

Good luck to everyone.

Okay how does a passenger get routed on AA from RIC, ORF, GSO, to TPA? Just one example. AA's east coast, north - south service stinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.