Tired of apologizing/ Curtians

T

tay

Does anyone else feel like this. I am so tired of apologizing to our customers because of the decisions that someone else has made. Like, I am sorry we only have 8 pillows per plane. I am sorry that your seat is filthy because our management has decided that clean planes are not a priority. I am sorry that there is no toilet paper or soap in the bathroom. It must have been overlooked by utility. I am sorry that there is no music selections avialable for your 5 hour flight to the west coast. I am sorry that row 8 on the a330 is where they put the babies right behind the last seat of Envoy. I am sorry that the curtians have been removed and now there is a line for the envoy/fc restrooms. I am sorry that your video screen is not working but there is nothing that I can do about it. I am sorry that your meal on a 767 Transatlantic Flight is ice cold because an oven does not work and somebody forgot to check, so now you have to wait 45 more minutes for a meal. I could go on and on...
And this is just from my perspective as a flight attendant. Adn as a flight attendant, I am not empowered to do anything but say I sorry and offer a comment card.....That''s it!!!
YOu know maybe it is like this at every airline, I don''t know this is the only one that I have ever worked.
It is just sad. I used to love this job, now I dread going to work. (Thanks in advance for all those who suggest that if I don''t like it I should quit) Morale is at an all time low. I just want USAIRways to be in a place where I don''t have to say I''m sorry, where I don''t have to be ashamed. I am not complaining, I am just SAD...anyone else feel like this?

I can only speak for myself, but the line employees deserve a huge amount of credit for trying to make things pleasant in spite of all the cutbacks in services. I''m just sorry that you all are having to take pay cuts and face layoffs in order to keep the company afloat. You deserve better; US has the best employees in the business.

Tay,

I am also saddened by what this company has become. I work in customer service and I spend the majority of the day apologizing for management’s decisions. Our management is the "dullest and the dumbest" in the industry. The only thing they have gotten right is that they know they can depend on the pride of the workforce to keep our customers coming back. I use to think that we would never give up no matter how bad our environment got. Now I believe we have finally reached our breaking point. Morale is at an all-time low and we are now going sideways. We can only hope that they leave soon and we can get a real, honest airline management team. (Excuse the oxymoron)

Tay,

You are doing all that you have been empowered to do. I would suggest for you to let customers know what is going on by calling, wirting, or emailing consumer affairs when they rech their destination. Their number and email are in the back of the Attache, as well as the website.

Case in point is A/C 651. A lot of paint is missing from this 767, and may posters on this board have mentioned it. I saw her last Sunday in PHL doing the AMS run. I debated and then wrote Dave about it later in the week. The only way things will change is if non-front line employees here it from the passengers.

tay

First of all I want to ThANK YOU for caring!!!

As a CP, I also notice the “little thingsâ€￾ from time to time (mostly the dirty planes). But from one of the many “cockroachesâ€￾, we also realize that it is not your fault. And while I know you get tired of having to say you are sorry for this or that, many of us appreciate what you do and the positive attitude the vast majority of you and your fellow employees exhibit while we are in your presence.

I left US for almost six months after BBB made most of us mad as h**l last summer. I tried several different carriers trying to find a new “homeâ€￾. I primarily flew DL and the attitude of those folks is horrible and from what I can tell, Leo is making life very difficult for those who are continuing to try to treat the customer with any respect. Trust me when I tell you that it is your desire that sets US apart from all the rest and the reason I came back. I am on ten legs this week and they are all on US metal because of folks like you.

Don’t give up! I really appreciate what you do!

1.gif

----------------
On 6/7/2003 4:49:51 PM longing4piedmont wrote:

----------------
On 6/7/2003 4:02:47 PM TailSpin wrote:

Our management is the "dullest and the dumbest" in the industry.

----------------​

I know that you will not believe it, but that honor goes to Leo and the boys and girls in ATL. Things are tough right now and I realize that working for US is not a bed of roses, but the management team was at least in the airline business before they showed up here. Leo and the bean counters are quickly driving Delta into the ground and my bet is they don''t survive if their current management stays in place. They are driving long term loyal customers away in droves and many are showing up at US. (it''s easier to get rid of a rat than a cockroach) From what I can tell, (a real compliment to US employess) the visable morale is vastly better than DL.

But then you may right about BBB

----------------​
What kind of statement is that? It may be your opinion that DAL is heading into the ground, but on what basis? Because they have changed the skymiles program to cater to loyal customers? If you are indeed a frequent flyer, their decision to change the program is yeilding positive cash results and may be a model for bthe rest of the industry. Or is it the RJ''s, the kiosks, etc? As far as employee attitude, it is simply a case of employees never going through hard times before. For your info, the employee attitude is starting to be addressed. And as far as Leo goes, he runs DAL like any businessman or woman runs their business..to make money. It is also funny that when you visit other forums, there is always someone speaking of other airlines demise. Personally, I think that DAL will weather this storm because they are attacking costs. We all know that you have to stop the bleeding before you can rebuild the business..

----------------
On 6/7/2003 4:02:47 PM TailSpin wrote:

Our management is the "dullest and the dumbest" in the industry.

----------------​

I know that you will not believe it, but that honor goes to Leo and the boys and girls in ATL. Things are tough right now and I realize that working for US is not a bed of roses, but the management team was at least in the airline business before they showed up here. Leo and the bean counters are quickly driving Delta into the ground and my bet is they don''t survive if their current management stays in place. They are driving long term loyal customers away in droves and many are showing up at US. (it''s easier to get rid of a rat than a cockroach) From what I can tell, (a real compliment to US employess) the visable morale is vastly better than DL.

But then you may right about BBB

Tay,
As a F/A, you are either domestic or international, but not both.
Not into the suds are you?

My apologies to tay & tailspin. In what I thought was a simple way of saying thanks to the you and the employees for all you do for a guy who does travel 180 to 200 segments a year and spends $50,000 plus a year doing it (does that dq me from being a cockroach), this tread seems to have gone in a direction I did not intend.

For that I am sorry!

Everyone has their own technique, but as a US Airways pilot years ago I made a personal vow to stop apologizing for things that are out of my hands, like ATC delays and thunderstorms that close the ramp and gates that are occupied. I will make a pa and state the situation and the reason but refuse to say "I'm sorry" or otherwise apologize. Try it - it's not your fault.

PineyBob,
I''m an agt, and I do not take anything out on my passenger!

Now the imbiciles at the top, I''d like one day to tell them a few facts of life.

That takes me to another story..

Eff mond,Jun 9th, a couple of stations will be Mainline X-press..

Some EASP chic came to our station,well my spvr introduced
us, I started telling her how this company has sucked the life out of each employee,and for a company that has just come out of BK,they can take those "nasty blue,thanks for flying buttons and throw them away!
Which is what I did with mine..Gladly, any day would I wear my Flag(not US STYALIZED)pin on my uniform..
I really went off on her.

U sends employees with 4-5 yrs sen to visit stations and get input,well she damn well got our stations!

They look so sympathic, that''s not what I''m looking for.
I want adequate work lighting, adequate staplers, printers that work,do not mesh new softwear WITH ANCIENT EQUIPMENT!
It don''t work that way.

If I only had the cents this company wastes, I''d be a RICH!

You''ve heard the cockpit crews tales, now tis time for the ATO true stories!

Trash to be dumped daily, not save our budget and have the agents do it, so you Mr Sta Mgr can reap your BONUS AND THE EMPLOYEE"S GET SQUAT!

Let''s have housekeeping dump every 2 days..

Bull!

This company HAS not Ethics..

nuf said!

Tay,
You made mention of east/west coast flights that leave allot to be desired for in terms of cleanliness but nothing about west/east coast flights.

In recent years management on the West coast (specifically LAX) saw to it that Utility had enough personal on duty to thoroughly clean a plane in the 15 minutes that was given.

Upper management now believes that that same job that''s been done with no less than 6 people is going to be done with 3.

You will now see one person dumping the trash in the front galley, another performing the same duties in the back galley and the last wiping down and restocking the mid and aft lavs. Once they finish their duties 2 of cleaners will head downstairs, one will dump the biffy''s while the other fills the a/c with potable water.

Management has stated that Utility will be allowed the same 15 minutes on the a/c, if they are on there any longer than that they will be subject to disciplinary action. Imagine that... possibly getting terminated for wanting to make an airplane more pleasant for the very people that are paying your wages.

If you notice I made no mention of first class or the rest of the cabin. That''s where you as the flight attendant comes in. It will be your responsibility to collect all pillows and blankets and neatly fold and stow them in the proper overhead. Instead of making 3 or 4 runs to pick up newspapers and whatever else the passenger doesn''t want you''ll be making no less than 5 or 6 trips down the center aisle.

To my understanding should anyone get a little airsick it''ll be up to the f/a''s to make sure the majority of the mess is picked up. If a passenger changes little junior''s diaper and decides to stuff that diaper in the seat pocket, you got it babe ... its your job to make sure it gets tossed.

So if you think things are bad now Dave and his crew has just made them worst.

Tug

In Customer Service, the rule is to NEVER refer an
unhappy psgr to Consumer Affairs but rather handle
all complaints locally. The idea being that this way, the complaint wont''t be "charged" to the station. But I hand it out anyway. Sloppy service
will NEVER improve if complaints keep getting swept
under the rug.

Tay,

Like you, many of us flight attendants feel the same way. No one in management seems to care enough to even listen to our concerns. We can only do our best with what we have at hand to work with, and these days that seems be only empathy and a kind word.

What''s amazing to me is how many of us in all the customer service areas really do care about the customers satisfaction. I''m really proud to work with such fine people and so disappointed that management doesn''t understand what an asset this is to our company.

Tug, I am so sorry to hear LAX is being cut back in personel yet again. I always appreciated getting on a cleaned airplane there and never having to ask for forgotten supplies. Is management attempting to turn LAX into another F/A cleaning station? Why was the decision made to cut back? The flights are usually full or close to full.

Is there anything we flight attendants can do, like write letters? Silly me! Who in management cares? Don''t we have a Vice President in charge of Air Craft Appearance? How bad do things have to get before s/he takes notice?

Dea

Mr. bob said: "So C''mon over to the "Dark Side" Graduate from a rat to a cockroach."

Well, there goes our advertizing budget for this year.

Latest posts