Unbelievable Performance At Sav--lga Sos.

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
I flew home from Hilton Head Sunday morning with my family--what a great little airport. It is apparently dominated by DL and US, but there is also AA, Airtran, etc.

We checked in with a nice lady who told me that half the kiosk have been down for a few weeks and no one had been there to fix them as yet. She was very pleasant, and told us all was on time--for now :)

We went through security and stopped in the multi airline lounge (shared by all airlines obviously on the honor system). We arrived at the gate and there was quite a crowd. Obvously there were 3 flights due to depart at approximately the same time--PHL and LGA at the same gate, and CLT at the opposite gate which was mainline. I noticed the same young lady who had checked us in was at the gate preparing to board PHL.

I was amazed that this young lady and one other person were able to organize and board 2 express flights as well as handle a main line arrival, all within 5 to 10 minutes--they boarded PHL, announced that LGA would board as soon as they closed PHL, and made an announcement that CLT's aircraft had arrived and that they would board shortly. I have NEVER seen 3 flights so tightly scheduled and handled to perfection by only 2 people...my complements to the SAV crew--if anyone knows them please pass this along (CCY will get this too for what it's worth).

THIS is an example of things going right--all the luggage was loaded, there were rampers to take the carry ons, and it appeared that all flights departed within minutes of schedule.

Of course, we arrived at LGA right on time and waited 15 to 20 minutes for an agent and the rampers again. One ramper finally showed up, realized he was alone, and singlehandedly tried to operate the conveyor and get the carryons out. I could see the frustration on his face, and if my lipreading skills were still intact I could tell he wasn't happy ;). At about 25 minutes past engine shutdown another ramper showed up to help.

Again, my hat's off to SAV :up:

LGA--at least they're consistent :down:

With all due respect with my friends at LGA, when is SOMEONE going to realize they are understaffed there????????????

My best to you all......

So I guess you didnt fly from HHH ( Hilton Head ) as I first thought. But I agree with you, the people in SAV do an exceptional job. They often get passengers bused over from HHH due to Hiton Head weather and handle it without any complaints. Art, you might want to talk to one Airbus Captain who always claims to have an in with the LGA Station Manager, about staffing. If you think staffing is bad now, wait until summer hits and the agents who took the buyout are gone without being replaced.

You'll find that same service at many of the smaller stations. I know here in Salisbury, the Piedmont staff is excellent. They're often at the mercy of PHL, but always do a great job boarding outbound passengers and baggage and filing daily lost baggage claims when bags don't connect into SBY from PHL; and do so with a smile and a little kindness.

Hope777 said:
So I guess you didnt fly from HHH ( Hilton Head ) as I first thought. But I agree with you, the people in SAV do an exceptional job. They often get passengers bused over from HHH due to Hiton Head weather and handle it without any complaints. Art, you might want to talk to one Airbus Captain who always claims to have an in with the LGA Station Manager, about staffing. If you think staffing is bad now, wait until summer hits and the agents who took the buyout are gone without being replaced.
[post="266296"][/post]​

Hope777,

I know the station manager at LGA too, and have emailed her to make her aware of the situation. I am not sure she is responsible for Express however.

I tried to go into and out of HHH, but the flights were sold out. Also, as I had my family with me I didn't want to subject them to a 2 hour flight on a DH8 (DCA).

For what it's worth, I emailed CCY about SAV, and already received a response, so recognition should be on the way.

My best to you all......

Again, my hat's off to SAV

Sky high states: Did you pass out any chocolate bars in SAV? :up:
I, soooo, appreciated mine. You're a wonderful traveler and enjoyed my chat with you. Thankyouverymuch, again. :p