Two Big Steps Coser

1L1R2L2R

Aug 2, 2005
If all goes well for US Airways next week, the Arlington, Va.-based carrier will be two big steps closer to emerging from bankruptcy protection.
On Tuesday, America West shareholders vote on that airline's merger with US Airways. On Thursday, a bankruptcy court hearing on US Airways' reorganization plan is scheduled to begin. U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge Stephen Mitchell will either approve or reject the plan after the hearing.
If the plan is approved, US Airways expects to emerge from Chapter 11 protection at the end of this month or early October.
In a message to employees Friday, US Airways chief executive Bruce Lakefield praised their efforts.
"In a sense, we are like a runner who is nearing the finish line after a grueling marathon. It has demanded sacrifice," his voice message said. "You have heard me say this before, and I will say it again -- your dedication and sacrifice is the reason we have been able to attract new investors."
America West and US Airways announced in May a merger that would create the nation's sixth-largest airline. While the merged airline will continue to operate under the US Airways name, the corporate headquarters will be in Tempe, Ariz., America West's home base.
:up: :up:

pitguy74 said:
That Aviator you have there, is that a piston?
[post="298343"][/post]​

Not sure I found this avatar on the net. Feel free to snag it

a320av8r said:
It's making me excited!  B)
[post="298347"][/post]​
ME TOO!!!!!
When Southwest flies into philly I hear they announce " We realize you have a choice in BANKRUPT carriers and we thank you for choosing Southwest Airlines" I guess they will have to think of another snappy arrival announcement. :D

1L1R2L2R said:
ME TOO!!!!!
When Southwest flies into philly I hear they announce " We realize you have a choice in BANKRUPT carriers and we thank you for choosing Southwest Airlines" I guess they will have to think of another snappy arrival announcement. :D
[post="298348"][/post]​

Do they really say that? If so, it fits their pax profile.

US1YFARE said:
Do they really say that?  If so, it fits their pax profile.
[post="298352"][/post]​

NO they don't say that!!! He was being sarcastic. ;) And just what is their pax profile? I used to be anti WN until I had to start flying them. They are no worse nor better than any other airline flying today. It's transporation from point A to point B. And for a quick hop between TPA to FLL it's much better than the drive across that state that I have to do once in while.

I remember when US was the "intraFL" carrier. What a shame that is gone.

trvlr64 said:
NO they don't say that!!!  He was being sarcastic.  ;)  And just what is their pax profile?  I used to be anti WN until I had to start flying them.  They are no worse nor better than any other airline flying today.  It's transporation from point A to point B.  And for a quick hop between TPA to FLL it's much better than the drive across that state that I have to do once in while. 

I remember when US was the "intraFL" carrier.  What a shame that is gone.
[post="298364"][/post]​

Did i say I was being sarcastic?.. NO because its true...
I have some friends over at Southwest and I heard it from them. Im sure its not in their written announcement but Southwest addlibs. Im sure not every flight attendant says that particular one

1L1R2L2R said:
Did i say I was being sarcastic?.. NO because its true...
I have some friends over at Southwest and I heard it from them.
[post="298370"][/post]​

Well I have flown PIT to PHL for the last 3 months and have never heard that said before. Maybe it's said behind closed doors but not to the passengers.

Sheesh, I thought it was a retina scan! Biometrics and nanotech stuff sorta scares me...unless it means I can finally come to work without having the TSA paw through my stuff.

Dea :lol:

trvlr64 said:
NO they don't say that!!! He was being sarcastic. ;) And just what is their pax profile? I used to be anti WN until I had to start flying them. They are no worse nor better than any other airline flying today. It's transporation from point A to point B. And for a quick hop between TPA to FLL it's much better than the drive across that state that I have to do once in while.

I remember when US was the "intraFL" carrier. What a shame that is gone.
[post="298364"][/post]​

trvlr64 I have to disagree with the following comment "They are no worse nor better than any other airline flying today. It's transporation from point A to point B". We will be different than SW. The new US Airways will have much more to offer at comparable prices. A customer will be able to choose eating, watching a movie, first class upgrades, assigned orderly assigned seating, etc, etc. These choices are not available on SW. SW is a super airline and I've enjoyed flying on them, but to be honest I'd much rather fly on AWA and pay a little more to have those amenities available. Even more so on long flights. It will be comparable to eating plain grits with no salt to grits and eggs with pancakes and bacon for a dollar more. Okay so you can do without the grits :D but I bet you'd sure eat them eggs, pancakes and bacon! The market is probably big enough for both approaches....sometimes you may have to pinch pennies so you fly SW with just the grits...or you sometimes you can afford to spend an extra buck and fly US with grits, eggs, bacon and pancakes. "Upgrade Your Low Cost Experience" is a slogan AWA has been using well and it probably will survive into the new US Airways. We will be a new International and Coast to Coast airline that will be unique, or at least will have a headstart (good business plans are copied, but not neccessarily successfully). Certainely we will be the first that is a LCC carrier. Being unique in this business with a larger appeal is a formula for success. Doug and team has the play, now we just have to go out an execute :up:

Not disagreeing with you Eric......but todays environment for flying is nothing more than greyhound in the sky. There is nothing that truely distinguishes US, from DL, NW, AA, etc. on domestic flights. The cuts to service on all of the airlines from just 5 years ago is remarkable. My comment still stands.....transportation from point A to point B. UA is the only airline that sets itself apart with their NY to LA business flights that are a premium price. The perks on these flights are nice. But we pay for them too.

Care to explain why PIT to BOS is consistently $1160.90 R/T? While flying WN via PHL is only $300.00 R/T. Where is the US premium on this route for such a high price? I bet WN is making money on this route but US isn't. I'm being forced to fly WN at this outrageous price. And if you compare what I get once onboard it's the same. 1 cup of coke and a bag of peanuts/pretzels (well not anymore on US).
For $1160.90 I should be getting an inflight massage with a happy ending!?!? :up: Heck I can fly to Europe for less.

The "new US" will be the same as the "old US" in my book. It will just have a new livery. As a Chairman's Preferred for the last 5 years I've witnessed what's happened to you and US. So for me there is no change of modus operandi. I will still be able to pick my seat, get first class, purchase a meal on board, yada, yada, yada.

What will make the "new US" truely different is how much $$$ is spent in marketing the new airline. US needs to start showing the flying public why they are the "carrier of choice" once again. When Bronner ran the airline I didn't give a rats behind about golfing in Alabama. I want to hear and see how flying US is going to take me to the places I really want to go and at a price that is reasonable. I love HP's Mexican destinations. I can't wait to take a flight back to Cabo San Lucas and on to Hawaii soon.

And if you go back and read my post, you'll notice I said that for a quick hop across Florida WN actually makes sense, when it comes to flight schedules, for me. They operate a lot of flights from TPA to FLL for when I have to fly that route. Yes DL and CO still have intraFL flying, too bad US doesn't.

As someone that has flown US for the past 9 years, almost weekly, I want to see results of the "new US". I hope they overcome being just transportation from point A to point B (avoid PHL and it's possible :shock: )

It will be nice to see US and it's employees be a proud airline again.

PS......orderly seat assignments? Have you ever watched a plane full of elites in PHL at the boarding gate? It's not pretty. And kinda funny to watch all those people jockey for a position in line just to get on the plane. The gate agents definitely have to change the way they board a plane. Calling Zones 1 & 2 at the same time is ridiculous I think.

trvlr64 said:
Not disagreeing with you Eric......but todays environment for flying is nothing more than greyhound in the sky.

It will be nice to see US and it's employees be a proud airline again.
PS......orderly seat assignments? Have you ever watched a plane full of elites in PHL at the boarding gate? It's not pretty. And kinda funny to watch all those people jockey for a position in line just to get on the plane. The gate agents definitely have to change the way they board a plane. Calling Zones 1 & 2 at the same time is ridiculous I think.
[post="298471"][/post]​

I appreciate your post trvlr64, everytime I think of "orderly seat assignments" I think of SW boarding procedure which can be total chaos. No I've never seen a plane full of elites in PHL at the boarding gate, but if you say it's not pretty I believe you. I would like to readdress the greyhound bus issue. Let me again point out there are important differences between SW and what will be the new US Airways that the average consumer will appreciate in my opinion. Having the option of First Class, Meals, Movies at LCC prices is not what I would classify as traveling by Greyhound and is not in the same class as SW. This transformation of US Airways has not happened as of yet, but give it time. I really don't know to much about JBLU, but they do have perks at low cost. Right now with a young fleet and young workforce they are on a honeymoon so to speak. The real test will come in time. JBLU as far as I know doesn't have International flights, US Airways does. Okay so UAL, DAL, AA, COL all offer First Class, Meals, Movies, Overseas flights and more, but not at LCC prices (at least as of yet). We will be different from all other airlines and will offer the best of both worlds; Low Cost & Travel Perks. Why pay the same for less? (SW vs New US Airways) Why pay more for the same? (Legacy Carriers vs New US Airways). This will give the New US Airways a distinct advantage in the market place. For how long...well that depends on many factors, but the New US Airways will have a head start!

Latest posts