Two Big Steps Coser

EricLv2Fish said:
or you sometimes you can afford to spend an extra buck and fly US with grits, eggs, bacon and pancakes.
[post="298401"][/post]​

i don't think i'd pay 10 cents for the greek scrambled eggs they are serving these days

trvlr64 said:
I remember when US was the "intraFL" carrier. What a shame that is gone.
[post="298364"][/post]​
FWIW, US was never the INTRAFL carrier. That was Piedmont Airlines. US scrapped it shortly after it's acusition of Piedmont. Kinda like PSA was the INTRACA carrier. Empire/Piedmont INTRANY service. US and all their arrogance decided it wasn't profitable. Its' sad that all that arrogance and lack of management and vision still exist today. Hopefully the right people will learn from past blunders and the new US won't get liquidated as well.

700UW said:
32% of Piedmont's gross revenue came from the Florida Shuttle.
[post="298591"][/post]​

And about 90% of PSA's gross was intra CA, right?

It never made sense to me why CCY gutted the California and Florida Shuttles, especially when they made their previous owners so much money. I guess Southwest and others have CCY to thank for setting them up so well.

Must have been that cool northern efficiency, and yes I am from the north myself.

Terry Trippler, an often-quoted airline analyst, boldly predicted the end of US Airways in December 2004, telling the traveling public to "stick a fork in them, folks. They're done."

Nine months later, the twice-bankrupt airline is far from cooked.

"I was wrong," Trippler now admits. "I wrote them off. But this is why they are the most determined group of survivors I have ever seen. ... This airline deserves to succeed because they fought back."
The long-sought happy ending for US Airways could come this week, as it seeks final approvals for a merger with the smaller, younger and more profitable America West Airlines, in Tempe, Ariz. On Tuesday, America West shareholders will cast their votes from Tempe, and on Thursday, the deal will come before U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge Stephen Mitchell in Alexandria, Va. Mitchell has the final word on whether the merger makes sense and whether US Airways should be allowed to exit Chapter 11 bankruptcy for the second time in three years

EricLv2Fish said:
Having the option of First Class, Meals, Movies at LCC prices is not what I would classify as traveling by Greyhound and is not in the same class as SW. This transformation of US Airways has not happened as of yet, but give it time.

On what percentage of flights will movies and/or meals be available? 10% maybe?

I really don't know to much about JBLU, but they do have perks at low cost. Right now with a young fleet and young workforce they are on a honeymoon so to speak.

JetBlue also has a more efficient operational model (for now) than US Airways, America West, and all of the other legacies. Their productivity in ASM's per employee is tops in the industry, even higher than Southwest's, though they are aided in large part by a very high average stage length. And jetBlue prices far more rationally than either US or HP.

The real test will come in time. JBLU as far as I know doesn't have International flights, US Airways does.

jetBlue flies to both NAS and STI which were not in the United States the last time I checked. They also serve more cities in Puerto Rico than US Airways.

Okay so UAL, DAL, AA, COL all offer First Class, Meals, Movies, Overseas flights and more, but not at LCC prices (at least as of yet).

US Airways isn't offering Overseas flights at LCC prices, either -- at least, not yet. I'll believe the LCC pricing when I see it. And US Airways/America West's fares are no better than Delta's Simplifares -- and Delta hasn't been making noise about supposedly becoming a low-cost carrier.

We will be different from all other airlines and will offer the best of both worlds; Low Cost & Travel Perks. Why pay the same for less? (SW vs New US Airways)

With all due respect, you have fallen victim to the marketing line that America West/new US Airways is a "low-cost carrier" (at least as far as fares go). $450 each way for walk-up coach on PHX-DCA, or $400+ each way walk-up for PHX-ICT or PHX-MEM doesn't strike me as being any more low-cost than Delta's Simplifares.

The "new US" will have 360 mainline aircraft and 353 regional aircraft in its network. None of the regional aircraft offer First Class -- so the chances are close to 50% that this particular perk will not be available on a given flight. Nor are regional aircraft "low-cost" -- one need only look at FlyI for confirmation of this.

What will the "new US" offer that beats Southwest on routes under 2.5 hours or so? An assigned seat? Perhaps a first class cabin if you're not on a regional jet or prop? No food or movies on short routes, and the combined company is reducing its domestic long-haul flying.

Why pay more for the same? (Legacy Carriers vs New US Airways). This will give the New US Airways a distinct advantage in the market place. For how long...well that depends on many factors, but the New US Airways will have a head start!

Well, I question your assumption that US Airways will be priced significantly lower (or offer more) than the other legacies like CO, AA, DL, NW, or UA. CO and HP charge exactly the same fares ($299 each way refundable) between IAH and PHX -- but CO will give you a meal for free on the flight. They (CO) give you the headsets for free if you check in online. They'll even sell you a first class seat for the refundable coach fare. AWA wants $165 more each way for First.