Two commercial planes have a close call in Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWAAA said:
WN substituted a different aircraft, so it's likely that the WN 737 was moving faster in its takeoff roll; the DL 717 was quickly inspected and then arrived slightly late to its destination.

My guess is that the WN 737 began its takeoff roll first, and then the DL 717 began its roll, and was quickly stopped by the ATC.
Probably a safe bet, and I'd also guess that there was some pretty good discussions with MCC/safety checks before DL left...

All hold short, Takeoff/landing, descend, climb via, runway crossing clearance should all be repeated as given by ATC.

It sounded like Delta heard the SW clearance and repeated it as a Delta clearance, stepping on the southwest transmission repeating the takeoff clearance.

I think the only pilot in this conversation is meto. I will defer to what he says is procedure and the FAA to determine what went wrong.

Cool.

While you're being deferential, I count at least 2 posters that are or were familiar with movement procedures at busy airfields, and at least one airfield operations person.

Reactions: 1 person
When I was brake riding or taxing at LGA, we had to repeat word for work back to the tower.

Reactions: 3 people
Cool.

While you're being deferential, I count at least 2 posters that are or were familiar with movement procedures at busy airfields, and at least one airfield operations person.
and tell me how many of them are licensed pilots and know not just company and federal procedures not just on taxiways but also on runways.

You dont have to be a licensed pilot to taxi or brake ride.

I am talking from experience at LGA, you know one of the busiest airports.

Had to taxi or brake ride every morning at 7:15.

Care to share your experience on moving planes?

We had to repeat to ground control word for word on what instructions were given.

Reactions: 3 people
if you are on an active runway ready to takeoff and not a licensed pilot, you will get carted off to jail if you are in command of a commercial airliner.

This conversation is over your head.

Step out and leave it to someone that is qualified to speak.

Glenn Quagmire said:
All hold short, Takeoff/landing, descend, climb via, runway crossing clearance should all be repeated as given by ATC.
It sounded like Delta heard the SW clearance and repeated it as a Delta clearance, stepping on the southwest transmission repeating the takeoff clearance.
Exactly and it happens everyday. Could have been disastrous but this incident is way overblown on this board.

metopower said:
Exactly and it happens everyday. Could have been disastrous but this incident is way overblown on this board.
Fair enough, but you know if it had been WN who had stepped on DL's clearance, we'd be talking about cowboy pilots and a lack of regard for basic safety....

Reactions: 1 person
eolesen said:
Fair enough, but you know if it had been WN who had stepped on DL's clearance, we'd be talking about cowboy pilots and a lack of regard for basic safety....
Not by Me.

Status
Not open for further replies.