Two commercial planes have a close call in Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ain't a pilot, I ain't a mechanic, but I run down runways and taxiways every day.... So don't say that only a pilot is qualified to interpret ATC communications. I hold my movement cert and get re-qualified every year......

Reactions: 5 people
robbedagain said:
to be stopped short of 2000 ft for the intersection  What would the speed roughly be for both planes
robbed, I think it's very unlikely that the WN plane was a full 2,000 feet from the intersection, as the runway is just 6,500 feet and the intersection appears to be less than 3,000 feet from the takeoff point, so there's almost no chance that the WN plane was 2,000 feet from the intersection. Obviously, the WN plane was barreling down the runway very fast, because that airplane was taken out of service. As the WN plane had the right of way (and knew it), it probably started its takeoff roll first (before the DL plane). The WN plane was going fast, and had to step on the brakes to stop (which takes some distance), so it's practically a given that the WN plane was very close to that intersection by time it skidded to a stop. If the WN plane had been rolling slowly, no need to take the plane out of service.

The DL plane was obviously going much slower, as that plane continued to ATL after a brief inspection (it was barely delayed on arrival at ATL). Since the DL plane was going much slower, it may have been 2,000 feet from the intersection, as the controller noticed the DL plane and yelled "stop."

Reactions: 5 people
blue collar said:
It's always a qualifier with him. I'm not worthy; I've only moved aircraft under their own power on the same runways, at the same airport (many times through that exact intersection), and talked to the exact same controller. But I'm not a pilot, so what do I know?
Nothing apparently. Neither do the rest of us, experience be damned.

ThirdSeatHero said:
Another gem of your particular brand of ignorance.

The FAAs definition of a runway incursion -

Don't see anything in there talking about accepting take off clearance as a required qualifier

Bad ATC communication can put a Mechanic Taxi or Tow in front of an on rushing aircraft just as easily as another live flight.
+1

ThirdSeatHero said:
As a licensed A&P that can be held just as liable for a runway incursion as any pilot - IT HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH IT.
...Or anyone else who happens to be out there...

Dog Wonder said:
Like you?
*Chuckle

LD3 said:
I ain't a pilot, I ain't a mechanic, but I run down runways and taxiways every day.... So don't say that only a pilot is qualified to interpret ATC communications. I hold my movement cert and get re-qualified every year......
Exactly.

And as noted earlier, part of why this forum is preferable to some that are populated with the "airplanes-are-neato" crowd. Smaller numbers, but many still here actually, you know, do the job...

Question is how far and how fast was the WN aircraft going? How did they abort? How hot did their brakes get? Did they deploy reverse thrust? Change flap settings while this happened?Were they removed ? All things that would trigger re dispatach or aircraft change. This stuff should never happen but it does everyday
All great questions. Won't happen, but I'd love to hear what the discussions with MCC all entailed.

Reactions: 6 people
no one said that other people's experience doesn't count.

The question was asked of licensed commercial pilots because they are the only ones that can receive takeoff clearance from ATC.

Nowhere did I say that others aren't capable of speaking with ATC including on the runway or that they might be right.

nowhere

Reactions: 1 person
WorldTraveler said:
and tell me how many of them are licensed pilots and know not just company and federal procedures not just on taxiways but also on runways.
Don't need to be a pilot to know procedures...and FAA procedures trump company procedures on the movement area... Crossing instructions are just as important as take off instructions.

Reactions: 4 people
Status
Not open for further replies.