Two commercial planes have a close call in Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you aren't able to be in a position to be accepting a takeoff clearance
That's what was happening here. Recall?
In Kevlingo " know thy place"

Reactions: 1 person
WorldTraveler said:
But you aren't able to be in a position to be accepting a takeoff clearance That's what was happening here. Recall? In Kevlingo " know thy place"

Yes, because as everyone knows, only pilots waiting for take off clearance, have had radio communication problems with the tower. 

Taxi & Tow crews have NEVER been involved in any sort of runway incursion event EVER.

Our tower communications are pristine!

Reactions: 2 people
Kev3188 said:
Cool.
While you're being deferential, I count at least 2 posters that are or were familiar with movement procedures at busy airfields, and at least one airfield operations person.
How about A&P's who are also private pilots? I tell you what Kev, I won't comment on any theological missionary dissertation discussions if you won't either. ;-)

ThirdSeatHero said:
Yes, because as everyone knows, only pilots waiting for take off clearance, have had radio communication problems with the tower. 

Taxi & Tow crews have NEVER been involved in any sort of runway incursion event EVER.

Of course they haven't because they can't accept takeoff clearances.

Know thy place.

Glenn Quagmire said:
All hold short, Takeoff/landing, descend, climb via, runway crossing clearance should all be repeated as given by ATC.
Very true. The airport in this situation (and also the other airport in the same city) prefers a read back of all instructions.

How about A&P's who are also private pilots? I tell you what Kev, I won't comment on any theological missionary dissertation discussions if you won't either. ;-)
[/quote
being an A&P has nothing to do with it.

being a pilot does.

If you want to argue that you are a licensed pilot, then say so and I can respect that.

And those who are not need to acknowledge they are neither licensed mechanics or pilots.

ThirdSeatHero said:

It is clear that some have no idea what a runway incursion means. Those of us mechanics who have taxied and run up aircraft for all of our adult life have been properly trained.

Private pilots actuality talk to ATC. I don't hold my ATP, multi turbine, but I do know slightly more than a washed up, forced to retire, cubicle dwelling, donation seeking, rocking chair wannabe airline analyst, about 139 certificated airport movement areas, and ATC communications.

I think this thread has run its course Moderaters. DL crew effed up here. Stuff happens. Kudos to the Controller for preventing the deal.

Reactions: 4 people
who is arguing about what a runway incursion is? proof?

if you aren't a mechanic, then you have no legal proof that you are licensed to talk about anything.

We aren't taking the SAT to see who can come up with the highest score.

If you have knowledge and licenses exist that you choose not to pursue, then you don't have the qualifications to speak.

and your assassinating characterization of others does nothing to prove that you have any qualifications.

Meto is a licensed 777 pilot and has held pilots licenses for decades. He doesn't need to attack others to demonstrate his qualifications. Everyone knows he is qualified.

thanks for being honest, Q.

Anyone else want to go next?

btw, while you are unwinding your undies, I never said that what anyone said about ATC procedures was incorrect... I just want to hear it from a pilot or someone who actually holds a license that involves receiving a takeoff clearance while on an active runway.

that doesn't include rampers, ex-airline mechanics, and union organizers.. .or unlicensed cubicle dwellers. :)

Glenn Quagmire said:
It is clear that some have no idea what a runway incursion means. Those of us mechanics who have taxied and run up aircraft for all of our adult life have been properly trained.
Private pilots actuality talk to ATC. I don't hold my ATP, multi turbine, but I do know slightly more than a washed up, forced to retire, cubicle dwelling, donation seeking, rocking chair wannabe airline analyst, about 139 certificated airport movement areas, and ATC communications.
I think this thread has run its course Moderaters. DL crew effed up here. Stuff happens. Kudos to the Controller for preventing the deal.
It's always a qualifier with him. I'm not worthy; I've only moved aircraft under their own power on the same runways, at the same airport (many times through that exact intersection), and talked to the exact same controller. But I'm not a pilot, so what do I know?

WorldTraveler said:

Of course they haven't because they can't accept takeoff clearances.

Know thy place.

Another gem of your particular brand of ignorance.

The FAAs definition of a runway incursion -

What is a Runway Incursion?
  • Any occurrence at an aerodrome involving the incorrect presence of an aircraft, vehicle or person on the protected area of a surface designated for the landing and take off of aircraft.

Don't see anything in there talking about accepting take off clearance as a required qualifier

Bad ATC communication can put a Mechanic Taxi or Tow in front of an on rushing aircraft just as easily as another live flight.

Thus endeth the lesson

Know thy place.

Reactions: 3 people
WorldTraveler said:
being an A&P has nothing to do with it.

being a pilot does.

If you want to argue that you are a licensed pilot, then say so and I can respect that.

And those who are not need to acknowledge they are neither licensed mechanics or pilots.

As a licensed A&P that can be held just as liable for a runway incursion as any pilot - IT HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH IT.

Damn, you're ignorant

no where did I ever say that a runway incursion couldn't involve just a pilot.

but again, this incident involved two aircraft under the command of two licensed pilots.

I never said that what anyone else said about ATC communications was incorrect but you all have blown my request for confirmation from an active, licensed pilot into much more than what I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.