TWU - Fear Based Union Leadership and Intimidation

Bob Owens said:
To those who say its anti-union (Gary Yingst comes to mind) I would say show me a National Union contract outside the airline industry that does not factor in Cost of living. The fact is you wont find one. Union Plumbers in Tulsa do not make anywhere near what Union plumbers in NY make, same with pretty much every class and craft of worker outside the Airline Industry. Harry Lombardo's mechanics in Philadelphia Mass Transit don't make what John Samuelsons mechanics in NY make (and the difference between NY and PA is nowhere near what it is between NY and OK). Only in the airlines do you have this situation where workers in a very low cost area set wages for the whole country based on their needs or more accurately, fears. Government workers have National Contracts and those contracts do factor in Cost of Living.  
On this one you and I are in complete agreement. I think this next round of negotiations could give you guys your best shot at finally instituting a COLA or per diem then you've ever had before and you should be a pit bull on getting that accomplished. I don't think we'd have the same measure of support for it in Fleet but who knows? I know they'll be a few East coast born negotiators in that room so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Here's a good link I've posted before.

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

700UW said:
Explain the TWU negotiated CBAs at WN for the ramp and FAs then, highest pay in the industry.
Those locals are structured completely different than what we have at AA. All the ramp is in one Local that conducts their negotiations and all the FAs are in another Local that conducts their negotiations, very little interference from the International and the company only sees one Local across the table, there isn't the same opportunity to exploit structural weaknesses because they aren't there, so management doesn't bother. They strike deals and get on with the business of running an airline. Despite the politically motivated picketing they are so far ahead of the rest of the industry that in current negotiations there is no-one for them to leapfrog over, so they are just kicking the can down the road. TWU, AMFA, IBT and the SWAPA. 

One Local-One Contract -simple and obviously effective. 

Now should we go into how that compares to and whats wrong with the structure that the IAM/TWU Alliance has planned for us with not just multiple Locals but multiple Unions as well? 

WeAAsles said:
On this one you and I are in complete agreement. I think this next round of negotiations could give you guys your best shot at finally instituting a COLA or per diem then you've ever had before and you should be a pit bull on getting that accomplished. I don't think we'd have the same measure of support for it in Fleet but who knows? I know they'll be a few East coast born negotiators in that room so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Here's a good link I've posted before.

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/
Fleet doesn't have the majority of their workers in low cost areas nor are they at the bottom of "the industry".  Fleet has done a better job at keeping most of their members well paid in comparison to their peers with similar skill-sets in most locations. Fleet does however need to restructure and consider how to address the future of their profession and declining real compensation. I believe Fleet needs to consider a structure somewhat similar to the Longshoremen. One thing for sure is this move towards even more fragmentation in an Association instead of consolidation into one Union with fewer Locals is the wrong way to go. 

The SWA/ Local 100 etc etc, model works. 

Bob Owens said:
Fleet doesn't have the majority of their workers in low cost areas nor are they at the bottom of "the industry".  Fleet has done a better job at keeping most of their members well paid in comparison to their peers with similar skill-sets in most locations. Fleet does however need to restructure and consider how to address the future of their profession and declining real compensation. I believe Fleet needs to consider a structure somewhat similar to the Longshoremen. One thing for sure is this move towards even more fragmentation in an Association instead of consolidation into one Union with fewer Locals is the wrong way to go. 

Bob I'd be more than fine with your one Union debate but the problem is it would have to be an industrywide one Union representing the class and craft. So right now among my group who holds the most members and has that end road closer? IAM. The very group you can't stand. Who holds the most members today among your group?

Oh and BTW not so sure about your Fleet comment? DFW, CLT and PHX are pretty low cost areas.

Reactions: 1 person
WeAAsles said:
Oh and BTW not so sure about your Fleet comment? DFW, CLT and PHX are pretty low cost areas.
But do they have more than NYC, BOS, DCA, MIA, LAX, SFO etc combined? Isn't MIA pretty close to DFW now? 

Bob Owens said:
But do they have more than NYC, BOS, DCA, MIA, LAX, SFO etc combined? Isn't MIA pretty close to DFW now? 
MIA is pretty close to DFW in membership numbers and you also left out ORD. I'll keep my fingers crossed about getting a COLA put in but it will still I'm sure receive some heavy resistance.

Bob Owens said:

You mean despite having individual Locals that gives the airline an opportunity to exploit structural weaknesses, they have been able to keep themselves in a competitive position. Huh. Go figure.

Latest posts