Twu Is Superior Union

proAMFA

Senior
Sep 28, 2003
Surprised to see me complimenting the TWU?

I call them as I see them and if I were a baggage handler or a supply person I would want the TWU to represent me. The baggage handler and supply person have done very well with the TWU at AA. They have a better sick time policy than the mechanics and they even took less of a paycut. I am told that, with overtime, some of the baggage handlers at the line stations will break $100K and many will easily make over $75K. That's not bad! You don't always need a good education to do well you just have to have the right union.
If your outta high school and you want desent pay and benefits without having to go to college or vo-tech make sure you go with the TWU. You also get BBQ, T-shirts, hats, Big Splash and tickets to Talons and Oilers games. You won't have to decide who to vote for either, they'll tell you who to vote for.

That's part of the reason I am an AMFA supporter. One of my best friends worked at Braniff. He supports AMFA at AA also. I've also talked with former Ozark and Hughes Air West guys. Many of the former Ozark guys at TWA were behind the movement at TWA to get AMFA. AMFA had three strikes at Ozark and the only union employees that crossed the picket was the IAM employees. When the Pilots went on strike did we support them? When the F/A's go on strike did we support them? TWU International rep Orlando CROSSED THE PICKET LINE TO FLY WHEN THE F/A'S WERE ON STRIKE! This man was a union representative!

The TWU does not know what unionism is. In fact by contract if the co. tells us to work on items from an airline on strike we have too. That will NEVER be the case after our first negotiated AMFA contract.

If you're really a union man vote AMFA when you get your ballot

I know of more than one Mechanic working for AA that was working for Braniff who claim to be happy with the representation AMFA gave them at Braniff.

Who do you believe? The TWU advocate trying to save himself from returning to work at a toolbox, or the mechanics who were actually working there?

proAMFA said:
Surprised to see me complimenting the TWU?

I call them as I see them and if I were a baggage handler or a supply person I would want the TWU to represent me. The baggage handler and supply person have done very well with the TWU at AA. They have a better sick time policy than the mechanics and they even took less of a paycut. I am told that, with overtime, some of the baggage handlers at the line stations will break $100K and many will easily make over $75K. That's not bad! You don't always need a good education to do well you just have to have the right union.
If your outta high school and you want desent pay and benefits without having to go to college or vo-tech make sure you go with the TWU. You also get BBQ, T-shirts, hats, Big Splash and tickets to Talons and Oilers games. You won't have to decide who to vote for either, they'll tell you who to vote for.
Actually, the twu with their wholesale erasure of 50+ years of work rule gains, is not the union for *anyone.* All they did was make it harder for the rest of us to negotiate our own cba's ("American took all these cuts, why won't you? We have to stay competitive you know."). All of this without a full (re)vote by the members. AA's twu faithful & union leaders should be ashamed of themselves. By the way, to earn 100K on the ramp anywere, you'd have to work an inordinate number of hous per week (at least 70+). Anyone can make that kind of $$$ if they're willing to live at the airport. No thanks. :down:

I call them as I see them and if I were a baggage handler or a supply person I would want the TWU to represent me. The baggage handler and supply person have done very well with the TWU at AA.

No they have not. Baggage handlers are similar to Longshoremen. While the job may not require the skill level of a mechanic it is hard, dangerous work and it pays nowhere near what a Longshoreman gets.

They have a better sick time policy than the mechanics and they even took less of a paycut.

OK they dont get whacked for the first eight hours of sick time at half pay but as far as the paycut they are worse off than we are. Our wage is still above the 2000 rate, theirs is not.

I am told that, with overtime, some of the baggage handlers at the line stations will break $100K and many will easily make over $75K. That's not bad!

Its not good either. In order to make that kind of money they have to live at work. In order to make $100K they would have to work 75 hours a week.

You don't always need a good education to do well you just have to have the right union.
If your outta high school and you want desent pay and benefits without having to go to college or vo-tech make sure you go with the TWU.

Go ask Bill Gates. Being a baggage handler used to be a good job, its not anymore. The turnover is huge, airplanes, even live trips often wait for extended periods of time simply because there is no one around to load, push them off the gates or park them. The fact is that the TWU is not a good union for any airline worker whether they are mechanics, baggage handlers or flight attendants.

You also get BBQ, T-shirts, hats, Big Splash and tickets to Talons and Oilers games. You won't have to decide who to vote for either, they'll tell you who to vote for.

Those things are no substitute for a good wage. We need to go to AMFA. They need to go to the AGW. Lets not get distracted and start making petty unwarranted attacks on workers who are not as well off as we are. We should be thankful for the ability that we have and promote ourselves, not knock others who are trying to make a living down.

Sorry, I had to take a break from all of this monotony!!

Braniff 2. Thanks for getting my back CIO. It seems the amfa supporters can't grasp that concept. Wasn't it Decision 2004 who was turning on one of his own just a few weeks back??!! Brutal!!!

twuer said:
Sorry, I had to take a break from all of this monotony!!

Braniff 2. Thanks for getting my back CIO. It seems the amfa supporters can't grasp that concept. Wasn't it Decision 2004 who was turning on one of his own just a few weeks back??!! Brutal!!!
How come TWU supporters claim that AMFA stuck it to Branniff 2 workers but Branniff 2 workers claim that AMFA is the best union they were ever in?

From what I was told by Eve Stewart, a former Branniff 2 mechanic they got all their money up front while the other unions dragged it out in court and got pennies on the dollar months later.

Latest posts