BAGGAGE HANDLERS THREAD

I admit i thought it would pass until i read the rest of it that a friend of mine let me see and it sucks while the money may look good the outsourcing in there stinks I WOULD NOT VOTE FOR IT..

Based on past T/A's, I'm going to say that the folks in the Hubs will take the $$$ bait, and toss those stations listed for extinction in 2016 under the bus faster than they know what happened. Sad, but proven to be true in most cases.

What is the typical gate crew compliment at AA for a MD-8X/737/757 turn? Are any of your 757's containerized or have telescoping trays? (Ours ain't and don't).

Edit: I think you will like the A320 family, pretty straightforward to service.

(TWA) Company seniority? Likely (if it isn't already in effect).

Occupational and/or classification seniority reset to DOH? I doubt it.

Correct that TW or OZ DOH was used for company seniority date, which is of dubious benefit since it doesn't determine bidding or furlough.

Union/bidding seniority was defined under Kasher. It's been 12 years, and the TW guys were a fairly senior workgroup to begin with, so there might not be a lot still around to benefit from unwinding Kasher.

What is the typical gate crew compliment at AA for a MD-8X/737/757 turn? Are any of your 757's containerized or have telescoping trays? (Ours ain't and don't).

We used to budget a five man crew plus the crew chief, but how it was staffed in the stations wasn't entirely consistent.

Nobody is using containers on the 757 if you look at US based passenger airlines. There are still a few Euro carriers trying to use them on the 320, but I can't say I've seen them in the US lately. Maybe Air Canada, but they're not a US based airline...

Don't recall how many, but some of the 757's and 738's have the sliding carpet in the belly. When it works...

Correct that TW or OZ DOH was used for company seniority date, which is of dubious benefit since it doesn't determine bidding or furlough.

Union/bidding seniority was defined under Kasher. It's been 12 years, and the TW guys were a fairly senior workgroup to begin with, so there might not be a lot still around to benefit from unwinding Kasher.

We used to budget a five man crew plus the crew chief, but how it was staffed in the stations wasn't entirely consistent.

Nobody is using containers on the 757 if you look at US based passenger airlines. There are still a few Euro carriers trying to use them on the 320, but I can't say I've seen them in the US lately. Maybe Air Canada, but they're not a US based airline...

Don't recall how many, but some of the 757's and 738's have the sliding carpet in the belly. When it works...

The sliding carpets are being removed from all 757/738s. AA claims they are a revenue burden when it comes to weight restricted flights and leaving folks behind. Lots of delays now due to only 2 fsc's on a 737/757 when you need 4 or 5 without a carpet.

At LGA an MD80 will get a 3 man crew plus a crew chief, (Someone has to have their hands in their pockets).

In the interest of allegedly saving weight and fuel costs,not to mention actually maintaining them,the sliding carpet loading systems are being removed from the 737's and 757's.At this point,if you open a 37 and it has a carpet,it's a bonus.Sabre entry to check tail numbers w/o carpet shows well over 150 37's to be sans carpet and about half of the remaining 75's.

Local management seems to think 3 + the crew chief is more than adequate to handle these carpetless aircraft.I'd be willing to bet the number of shoulder,knee and back injuries is skyrocketing.

We actually had to do an ARS read through trumpeting the benefits of removing the sliding carpet system and the vauge promises to 'revisit' staffing levels.

Revisiting means extend the part timers and continue to harass crew chiefs when delays inevitably occur.

don't expect things to get any better with a US management team , the 757.s here had sliding trays in them. key word "had" They have been gone for a few years now and rarely are there extra staffing to work it. Wait to you AA guys get a hold of an A321 the front bin is large and deep enough for a small house, with no trays or carpet.

At LGA an MD80 will get a 3 man crew plus a crew chief, (Someone has to have their hands in their pockets)

In the interest of allegedly saving weight and fuel costs,not to mention actually maintaining them,the sliding carpet loading systems are being removed from the 737's and 757's.At this point,if you open a 37 and it has a carpet,it's a bonus.Sabre entry to check tail numbers w/o carpet shows well over 150 37's to be sans carpet and about half of the remaining 75's.

Local management seems to think 3 + the crew chief is more than adequate to handle these carpetless aircraft.I'd be willing to bet the number of shoulder,knee and back injuries is skyrocketing.

We actually had to do an ARS read through trumpeting the benefits of removing the sliding carpet system and the vauge promises to 'revisit' staffing levels.

Revisiting means extend the part timers and continue to harass crew chiefs when delays inevitably occur.
Here in Las Vegas, they give us four man teams and a crew chief for a total of five. Providing that management covers sick calls or no-shows in the morning. With this Recent influx of senior people, we've got a station full of FSCs With a terrible misguided sense of entitlement, in other words their belly shy.

Here in Las Vegas, they give us four man teams and a crew chief for a total of five. Providing that management covers sick calls or no-shows in the morning. With this Recent influx of senior people, we've got a station full of FSCs With a terrible misguided sense of entitlement, in other words their belly shy.
Really Bob, I have thirty plus years with AA and have destroyed both my knees and back from working the bellies. So since my seniority allows me to bypass the belly, I have a "terrible misguided sense of entitlement". Hmmm...kinda thought that was what seniority was all about, not being first in the "non-rev" line to catch a flight.
You sound just like what AA is all about, outsource all the high seniority jobs and leave the ramp or quit as our only options.
No Bob, no misguided sense of entitlement, busted my ass for enough years in the belly that I have earned
the right to say NO!

Reactions: 1 person
Hey 700, if you were a true union man you would know the lead or crew chief as we call them would not pick the most senior guy in most situations to do the worst job in most eyes. Most leads as you should know lets the guys pick by seniority. If I have thirty years and low man, you bet, if it's the belly, I would do my best. If I have "seniority" options, I would not choose the belly. Anything else, 700?

We generally keep the crew chief out of the equation, the crew knows who is going in and who is staying on the ground.A crew chief who likes to be overly hands on finds himself explaining delays a lot more than a crew chief who doesn't sit on the shoulder of their crew like a parrot.

Ironically it's the junior guys that tend to have 'aluminum allergy' and will simply show up at the gate with carts, then get butt hurt when advised to enter the aircraft belly.Really funny to watch a new guy go up the loader into the aft of an '80 and make a left, thinking he's going to be 'Short Side Suzy' and leave the senior guy to the long side.So to the long side they go and instead of letting the aircraft and wheels do the work, they have to show how manly they are throwing the bags end over end while not wearing knee pads.

Of course the new guys are all gone, I think now the junior P/T'er is an '04 hire.

Latest posts