Ua Afa Rebellion

openview

Advanced
Feb 16, 2004
United attendants in rebellion: Saying their concerns aren't being adequately addressed by their union, some United flight attendants have begun collecting signatures to dump the Association of Flight Attendants (AFA) in favor of the upstart United Flight Attendant Union. Such a move wouldn't be a first at United — more than 8,000 mechanics and related workers bolted the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers last year, opting instead for the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association. Behind the latest unrest is the recent merger of the AFA with the Communication Workers of America, which United attendants opposed. "A lot of us feel that we're nothing but dues money to the union," Eric Julien, a United attendant for 18 years and spokesman for the new union, tells the Chicago Tribune (free registration). Greg Davidowitch, president of United's AFA unit, says bankruptcy and concessions created uncertainty for employees, and the number of workers needing help from the union is "unprecedented. We do a good job, and I think we can do a better job

Oh boy....just what we need now.

United would be a big loss to AFA union. And United pioneered AFA.

Sad times and division abounds us. :(

It was only a matter of time before this happened. Go UFAU!!!! :up: Put it this way: It can't get worse!

I've been talking with lots of my flying partners about this subject, and a new union is not what we need right now (In my ever-so-humble opinion).

Strong unions are built on deep pockets (with the CWA merger we now have that). No new union would have any money compared with what CWA-AFA has.

Strong Unions are built on established relationships with management and government officials (something that no new union could have in the short-term).

United Management will relish the fact that there is in-fighting within the ranks during some of the most turbulent years of the entire history of commercial aviation.

AFA is made up of volunteers... so if Flight Attendants are so upset with things, why don't they just get in there, volunteer and change things up?

I say, the last thing we need now is more change. If people would stop complaining and actually start volunteering for the union they would then have a real voice. No union is perfect because it's staffed with volunteers who are humans and therefore fallible.

Just my two cents!

FA4UA

At NW we voted out Teamsters and voted in an independent, PFAA. So far there has been a lot of resistance by the company, ie: refusing to honor dues check-off. Its been an up-hill struggle as some F/A's who voted to retain Teamsters are now refusing to pay their dues and without the check-off it really hurts the cause of the whole F/A group. My advice: Be very careful because if the company can see a way to rid themselves of a powerful union on the property, they'll take their divide-and-conquer mentality and do it in a heartbeat!

I understand what you are saying but you have to understand that the average United flight attendant feels that they are safer with United than with AFA. THAT is the problem here. We are blatantly ignored. :(

1. The Treamsters are fighting the dues checkoff because their contract language protected it. We don't have that problem at UAL; our dues procedure will remain the same.
2. Even without the dues checkoff, PFAA is getting about 90% VOLUNTARY dues deductions from F/A credit union accounts; that speaks absolute volumes about the level of NWA F/A satisfaction with switching to an independent union.
3. As some of you have correctly pointed out, at UA, D&C has thrived under AFA, which has most certainly benefited Mgmt. That's part of the momentum behind changing to a new, member-controlled union.
4. Let's talk about deep pockets for a sec: The CWA's deep pockets will come at the expense of higher UAL dues four years after the merger date. Honest. Look it up in the merger agreement. Now, let's see... how does UFAU come up with its own deep pockets...hmm. Oh, I know! Dues! You see, AFA gives away 76% of our dues to the other AFA airlines, the CWA, and the AFL-CIO. Now, without that diversion of our dues dollars, we'll be able to afford the best of anything we want! Not only that, but with UFAU the MEMBERS decide how much dues we pay and what we do with it.
5. Volunteers. Your choice: volunteer with the current union and be drummed out like so many before you, or switch to UFAU and have a paid, professional staff manning the offices, hearing grievances, and doing the negotiating. I say those of you who want to volunteer as deck hands on the Titanic should make sure to have a life belt on. I think many of us resent having to volunteer to do what we've already paid someone else to do.
6. Did you really say that an effective union has to have a strong relationship with management?!? I'm sure I'm missing something here, because I really think that a good union should have an arm's-length relationship with management so that we don't end up with a ten (okay, 13) year contract and disproportionate concessions.

Now, all that said, I really applaud you guys who are actually happy with our current union representation and I hope you find some resolution and closure in the switch to UFAU.

Fly...I have to disagree with you. My sense is that you are a very junior flight attendant at United with no previous airline experience. And you, like many in your seniority bracket, don't think AFA has done anything for you. Let me tell you something. I have worked for 4 airlines and I will tell you that unionism is only as good as its member participation. In my experience, I think United flight attendants for the most part are apathetic as hell. Voting in a new union isn't going to change that. Keep in mind, inspite of all the givebacks, the United contract is still one of the best in the industry. I know you don't want to hear that. F/A's at American would love to have 5 paid holidays, crew meals on international flights, purser pay on narrow body equipment, etc. We fared damn well considering United was in bankruptcy in terms of what we were able to salvage. No other carrier has holiday pay and few carriers have duty rigs as good as ours. The problem that I see at United is that most United flight attendants haven't worked elsewhere and are not able to see just how good they have it, comparatively speaking. AFA has strong legislative ties in Washington and you can thank them for having smoke detectors in your aircraft lavoratories, exit path lighting, and a non-smoking environment in your workplace. These quality of work-life changes came about because of the strong legislative lobby that exists at AFA. I seriously question whether a new independant union would have the same clout. Furthermore, I am on a voluntary furlough with full medical, dental, and travel benefits for the next 3 years. I continue to accrue full seniority while in my absence from United. I enjoy these priveleges because of AFA. No other work group on the property enjoys the same privelege. The problem as I see it is that flight attendants are disinterested in becoming proactive about their own careers and merely want someone else to take care of them. Unionism doesn't work that way. After our disastrous contract in 1997, we had an opportunity to effect real change in AFA by voting in fresh blood. During our local LEC election in San Francisco, there was an outsider who ran a great campaign. She ended losing the election as result of only 13% of a base population of nearly 5,000 flight attendants participating in the election. Mark my words, an independent union will be setback to United flight attendants. There will be no deep pockets, no infrastructure for legislative affairs, and no one willing to step up to the plate. AFA is not United flight attendants' problem. Apathy is the problem.

P.S. Today is my nine year anniversary at United. I was hired on April 16, 1995. In 9 years I have not had an increase in my union dues. I do not think it is unreasonable to see an increase in dues four years down the road...that will make 13 years without a dues increase.

Black Dog: Good advice.

Pit Bull: Happy to see that you and I finally agree on something. Peace!

Jamake,

All very good points. I agree that a new union will not resolve our biggest problem, which is member apathy. But it will resolve our second biggest problem (IMO), which is being in the clutches of a bigger organization which has other priorities that may be divergent from ours.

About the legislative influence point, that is one thing that has bothered me too about an independent union. But I think that can be resolved by having an organization set up and funded by all F/A unions to speak with one voice on Capitol Hill. APFA, UFAU, and what is left of AFA can pool whatever their current expenditure is on legislative affairs into a coalition-type group to do lobbying, etc. AFA would probably be to arrogant to participate in something like that now, but once they lose UA and possibly USAirways members, they will be singing a different tune.

As it is now I am more concerned that CWA's political lobbying efforts could HARM us as UA F/As. For an example of a CWA legislative agenda that could work against us, we are one of the few unionized groups that BENEFITS from increased international trade. Labor unions in the US generally are opposed to more liberalized international trade agreements, but as a group we actually benefit from that type of thing since more int'l trade = more int'l travel. I would guess CWA's position is to actively oppose such agreements.

A coalition made up of just F/A unions can more accurately aim our money at those issues that are the most efficient for us to focus on.

JAMAKE - I am a "very junior flight attendant" I have 18 years. You see, 18 years can't hold a decent line. So you are correct, I'm junior. I think AFA stinks! BTW, better dust off your wings, you are going to be called back to work. That's the plan you know, tell you you're off, then haul you back to work so that you quit. Last month they brought back 200 and 75 quit. Who told me this rumor? My supervisor. As for the "apathy" post, I don't help my cleaning lady clean....and I shouldn't have to help my union when I pay money for them to do it. $39 a month x 20,000 people....that should be enough money to help AFA since they don't really do anything anyway.

Take the trip and write it up......huh? What's the point?

FLY:

First of all, I aplogize for assuming you were a junior flight atttendant at United. Secondly, in my experience of trying to obtain information that is reliable, I have come to find that supervisors and pilots are the worst source for accurate information, so I do not believe that I will be called back soon (barring a shutdown of USAir). Furthermore, those of us who chose to go on furlough knew full well that there could be a possibility of being called back prematurely. Nobody was forced into quitting. They made a decision to quit. Thirdly, flight attendants at United are apathetic. They don't do their homework, they don't make it a point to understand their contract, they don't show up to rallies when contract negotiations are happening, and they don't even take the time to vote in AFA elections. It doesn't matter what union represents you, without active participation there is no power. Why do you think Kevin Lum brought that silly tentative to the membership back in 1997? Because the MEC knew that they did not have the support of its membership to push for anything better. I am not an AFA cheerleader, but I do believe it is necessary to bring as many carriers together under one single umbrella so that there can be a framework for consistency at the bargaining table. It behooves us as United flight attendants to have a portion of our dues money going to organize other carriers. Bringing them on board helps to create standardized workrules and pay for everyone. I think that the bylaws at AFA are appropriate. If another carrier attempted to acquire UAL in its weakened state, wouldn't you want protection in your seniority by having DOH as the guideline?
I have been through two airline mergers and can tell you that DOH was the framework that was used in both cases and it worked. It is the most equitable method for integrating work forces. Personally, I think that voting in a new union with no infrastructure, no experienced committee members, and no established political lobby in Washington is risky. AFA is far from perfect. No doubt about it, but
I personally am not willing to start over from scratch. If you expect to make progress in your work life, you have to be willing to participate. Here is the problem at United AFA: There has never been leadership that was able to successfully rally the troops. You need the support of your troops to win the fight.
American Airlines was very successful in their strike of '93 because their APFA leadership knew how to rally their troops.

Wow.....the signature cards are getting signed faster than anyone even imagined. See ya later AFA! :lol:

First - Why the interest in who represents United flight attendants? If you don't like a particular doctor, you get someone else. Same thing here. Looks like most UAL f/a's aren't too pleased with what we have, so were looking for a change. If we don't take the majority, we stay with AFA (doubtful that will happen) and if it passes (bet money on it) then we leave. Simple!

The AFA/CWA "spin-doctors" are out in force, trying to scare everyone and prevent us from acting on our democratic right to a federal election!

The tactic is old and has been used to keep all UAL flight attendants "in line"!

Remember the "10-year contract"?
AFA used fear to get it passed.

Remember the CWA vote?
AFA told us to vote "FOR" or accept a dues increase.

Remember the bankruptcy Re-structuring Agreement?
More FEAR...they said it was the best we could do and now we know better.

Well, the days of AFA/CWA's "reign of terror" are soon to end!

HIGHLIGHTS: AFA/CWA "SCARE TACTICS"

Because AFA/CWA has no positive record upon which to stand in this campaign, it will "spin" rumors, innuendos, exaggeration and attacks on UFAU, its leaders and supporters, and this campaign, in an effort to create fear and confusion and to prevent you from signing a card to act on our federal right for an election.

GET THE FACTS...FORGET THE FICTION!

AFA/CWA FICTION:
Not enough people will vote in the NMB election and we'll be left with no union.
UFAU FACT:
In the history of the National Mediation Board (NMB), it has never happened, in a routine challenge for representation, that a class of workers has been left without a union due a lack of voter participation! In fact, our advisors tell us that, in their experience with other elections, the voting percentage approaches 80% in the federal election, far more than the required 50%-plus-one!

For those who do not fully understand this issue, let us offer an explanation.

As reflected in the FAQ’s on this website, there is an NMB rule which requires that, after signature collection, at least 50%-plus-one total eligible voters must vote in the election to ensure that a union will be certified.

This requirement is in place to ensure a truly democratic process and is no different than the standard which requires us to collect at least 50%-plus-one signatures to gain an election! This is true democracy at work…nothing to fear!

Logically, the federal NMB process must ensure a truly democratic result. That is why a majority of eligible voters must participate in the election; otherwise, a minority of eligible voters could end up making the decision for the majority. Simple, logical, and straight-forward: a majority must vote to convince the NMB that the majority DOES want union representation. If fewer than a majority (50%-plus-one) vote, then the NMB would interpret that to mean that the majority does not want to be represented, thus neither union would be certified.

HOWEVER, consideration of the following FACTS will eliminate associated concerns and will demonstrate that any perceived "risks", as well as AFA/CWA contentions, are both exaggerated and unwarranted.

* UFAU founders, volunteers, and supporters are staunch supporters of "organized labor" and dedicated to preserving AND improving representation for all UAL flight attendants.

* UFAU has carefully considered all aspects of the NMB election process. And, the potential risk, if any, is easily justified, if not completely overshadowed by, the tremendous advantages of seeking an election for new representation.

* When UFAU gets the number of signatures required to seek an election, it will be because that many of us are concerned about our representation and wanting to change it. It will show that most of us want a choice and feel "invested" in participating in the process.

* It stands to reason that all members who sign a card to ask for an election will also take the initiative to follow-through and vote in the election.

* The signatures collected for UFAU to get an election will not include AFA/CWA supporters, because they won't be signing a card. So, it stands to reason that even more than the required number will vote in the election. AFA/CWA will be forced to get all of their supporters to vote or they will risk losing the election (and, the UAL "cash cow" that is keeping AFA/CWA afloat). This alone will ensure a record voter turnout.

* UFAU will get OUR vote out as well, no matter the cost!

* We need only a 50%-plus-one majority to cast a ballot for either UFAU or AFA/CWA in order to guarantee a union and union representation! We do not need that many to vote specifically for UFAU or AFA/CWA to guarantee having a union. As long as more than a majority cast a vote (for either union), then the union receiving the simple majority of those votes will win and become the certified union.

* We all have every reason to believe that the voting numbers will FAR exceed those necessary and that this election will result in record voting numbers.

* Making comparisons between an "AFA/CWA election" and a "federal" election are ridiculous. No one votes anymore in AFA/CWA elections because it's an exercise in futility. Most will appreciate the significance of a federal NMB election and will take the process more seriously.

* AFA/CWA thinks that our membership isn't smart enough to understand the importance of voting! UFAU knows that this membership is smart and savvy! UFAU and its supporters TRUST the membership to make the right choice!

* UAL mechanics and Northwest flight attendants had NO problem getting enough people to vote. Why would we be any different?

This election will be historic and unprecedented...we'll have a union and it will be UFAU!

AFA/CWA FICTION:
We'll be left without a contract.
UFAU FACT:
The Railway Labor Act guarantees that there will be no loss in pay, benefits, work rules, or any other contractual rights as a result of changing (or seeking to change) unions.

AFA/CWA FICTION:
The UFAU campaign is all because of the UAL bankruptcy filing.
UFAU FACT:
Informed observers know that this membership has been in agony over our lack of representation for much longer than UAL has been in bankruptcy. It all started in 1997 with the "10-year Contract" and AFA's refusal to yield, at that time, to the recommendations of its own membership survey. And, FAIR was started years ago, long before UAL filed bankruptcy. No, the bankruptcy and AFA's continuing failures to secure our future (especially in relation to the other unions on the UAL property) and to represent the best interests of this membership are just a FEW of the reasons that UFAU was created!

AFA/CWA FICTION:
The leaders and supporters of UFAU are just a "handful of angry flight attendants".
UFAU FACT:
The UFAU campaign is an effort to turn the membership's residual anger and frustration with AFA/CWA into a productive and pro-active resolution to secure our rights, dignity, and future - financially and otherwise! And, only one week into the campaign, hundreds - if not thousands - of UAL flight attendants already support UFAU and the need for change!

AFA/CWA FICTION:
UFAU supporters have done little to try and change AFA from within or to work within the existing system.
UFAU FACT:
Many UFAU supporters, including former AFA/CWA representatives, have tried to change AFA/CWA from within. In trying to keep the membership aware, informed, and involved in fostering positive change, some were ultimately brought up on charges and/or forced to resign. Clearly, AFA/CWA is not willing to yield to the wishes of the membership and/or its leaders.

AFA/CWA FICTION:
UFAU salaries will be "exorbitant".
UFAU FACT:
The salaries of UFAU leaders and representatives will be but a fraction of the costs of those in AFA/CWA budgets, as demonstrated in the UFAU Constitution!

AFA/CWA FICTION:
UAL flight attendants will have no voice on Capitol Hill.
UFAU FACT:
UFAU will have a strong voice on Capitol Hill, along with all flight attendants in the industry, as well as members of all labor unions, whether independent or AFL-CIO affiliated. See the UFAU FAQ's for more information!

Blackdog said:
At NW we voted out Teamsters and voted in an independent, PFAA. So far there has been a lot of resistance by the company, ie: refusing to honor dues check-off. Its been an up-hill struggle as some F/A's who voted to retain Teamsters are now refusing to pay their dues and without the check-off it really hurts the cause of the whole F/A group. My advice: Be very careful because if the company can see a way to rid themselves of a powerful union on the property, they'll take their divide-and-conquer mentality and do it in a heartbeat!
Blackdog, I beg to differ with your statment about PFAA and the "Powerful Former Union". Over the course of 30 years the IBT "Teamsters" provided the rank and file of Northwest FA's with subpar contracts year after year. Northwest mang. was clearly sadden to see the Teamsters removed from the property. The IBT had given the company nearly everthing that it had ever wanted. Evidence of the cozy relationship can been seen with the Dues Check Off issue, as well as the Board of Director seat. It is a no brainer when your dues monies stays home and is used for your needs and not to support a huge Union cesspool of bureaucracy. The percieved power of large Unions is just that ...smoke screens. All of the gains mention here such as Smoke Free aircraft were brought about by the enitre Industry not one single entity. . i.e Norhtwest was the first U.S airline to go smokeless world wide. The test of the "power" of a large Union is when they back up it's rank and file, with action. The International Brotherhood of Teamsters failed miserably every time (no strike fund, dues check off poison pill). I wish Ual crewmembers well in their fight for independance. It is a great feeling to know that 100% of your dues monies are staying at Ual. Bigger does not mean better...we (PFAA) know that to be a fact.

Back