Ua Fares Well In Airline Service Study

whlinder

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
IAD
www.playandmusic.com
Link

WASHINGTON - Airlines generally arrived later, lost more luggage and caused more consumer complaints in 2004 than they did the year before, an annual study of aviation quality finds.

Only four of the 14 major airlines rated in both 2003 and 2004 improved, according to the report released Monday. They were AirTran, Atlantic Southeast, JetBlue and United.

whlinder said:
Link
[post="260423"][/post]​

In the past month or two I have ridden both DL and AA First Class on long haul services. Can honestly say I was looking to see if there was a difference between us and them.

Just my take, the AA plane was a 757 and the airplane was very dirty. The coffee was served in a plastic mug versus the UA china cup and saucer. The food was served in the tray it was cooked in versus a nice china plate. The flight was just OK I would say. The seatpower for laptops was not easily found.

DL was also a 757. The f/a's were great. Really nice and seemed genuine in their concern for the pax. Other than that the food was OK and the coffee is served in a nice big coffee cup. Not china but good sturdy cup. The DL airplane was absolutely trashed. The seats were worn severly and torn in many places. The tray table was wobbly and the video was intermittent. The entire airplane was just dirty. Also, there was no seat power for laptops that I found anywhere in or near this seat. Again the people were absolutely grand.

Compared to UAL Fclass service I think we win hands down. I know it sounds like I am a homer but the differences were striking to me.

magsau said:
In the past month or two I have ridden both DL and AA First Class on long haul services. Can honestly say I was looking to see if there was a difference between us and them.

Just my take, the AA plane was a 757 and the airplane was very dirty. The coffee was served in a plastic mug versus the UA china cup and saucer. The food was served in the tray it was cooked in versus a nice china plate. The flight was just OK I would say. The seatpower for laptops was not easily found.

DL was also a 757. The f/a's were great. Really nice and seemed genuine in their concern for the pax. Other than that the food was OK and the coffee is served in a nice big coffee cup. Not china but good sturdy cup. The DL airplane was absolutely trashed. The seats were worn severly and torn in many places. The tray table was wobbly and the video was intermittent. The entire airplane was just dirty. Also, there was no seat power for laptops that I found anywhere in or near this seat. Again the people were absolutely grand.

Compared to UAL Fclass service I think we win hands down. I know it sounds like I am a homer but the differences were striking to me.
[post="260437"][/post]​

I told everyone that this would happen when AA outsourced their cabin cleaning. Isn't outsourcing just great?

aafsc said:
I told everyone that this would happen when AA outsourced their cabin cleaning. Isn't outsourcing just great?
[post="260463"][/post]​
Just think what's going to happen with the maintaince :shock:

It just goes to show you how bad these surveys are. UA's On Time performance was down YOY, the customer Complaints were up YOY and the Mishandeled Bag Ratio was flat YOY. The only improvment was made in the Denied Boarding category, and that was probably because people had booked elsewhere because of the BK. This survey is a joke. TWA rated high when they were in BK, so did CAL. The exception is US, although miracles do happen.

Amazing how there's not enough demand to increase airfares, yet we still deal with the denied boarding dillemma. This has just gotta be Rocket Science--gotta be.

casual rat said:
Amazing how there's not enough demand to increase airfares, yet we still deal with the denied boarding dillemma. This has just gotta be Rocket Science--gotta be.
[post="260547"][/post]​
In a sense, it is. The higher the load factors, the more likely you are to have DBs. As long as the airlines continue to oversell based on an assumption of no-shows, this problem will necessarily persist.

Incidentally, B6 doesn't have this problem, because they don't overbook.

Borescope said:
Just think what's going to happen with the maintaince :shock:
[post="260501"][/post]​

Thank God AA does almost all of it inhouse. Maintanence is one area where quality must remain high.

Borescope said:
It just goes to show you how bad these surveys are. UA's On Time performance was down YOY, the customer Complaints were up YOY and the Mishandeled Bag Ratio was flat YOY. The only improvment was made in the Denied Boarding category, and that was probably because people had booked elsewhere because of the BK. This survey is a joke. TWA rated high when they were in BK, so did CAL. The exception is US, although miracles do happen.
[post="260503"][/post]​
Actually, I think US was rated #1 the first time in bankruptcy.

UAL_TECH said:
"The only quality that passengers are concerned about is the quality of the low fares,"

Cute

I guess I should probably get out of this industry because passengers (and that's exactly what they are) have no idea what they are in for if something goes wrong at 30,000 feet.

Back