UA getting cold feet on U? (fingers crossed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mergers ??...............Acquisitions ??.................Takeovers ?? etc,

HEL*, I've got news for everyone to consider.

Not only will there NOT be ANY of the above,...IMHO, there is a 50/50 chance that DL/NW will NOT go through !!

This "thing" with OIL, is DEADLY SERIOUS, ultimately forcing EVERYONE, to stay by them selves, hunker down, and "try" to SURVIVE through this STORM.

AA (as Usual), is taking the lead by showing the Industry the Only way to try to get thru.

(Merging),..Doubling ones OIL bill is F***ing TOTAL INSANITY !

Regardless which team(airline) you/we root for,............One thing is for sure.

The LAW of the Jungle,..WILL prevail in this OIL STORM.
It ALWAYS HAS,.................IT Always WILL !!!

Good Luck to all.

AA (as Usual), is taking the lead by showing the Industry the Only way to try to get thru.

I'm just curious how AA is leading the way? UA, US, DL, & NW all announced capacity cuts weeks ago, and most of the charges that AA announced yesterday were matches of fees that other airlines already had on place. Although I will say that the $15.00 to check the first bag is something that they are testing the water for the rest of the industry.

I think he meant leading by showing what not to do. AA can't seem to buy a good press realease lately and they certainly haven't made any friends at the FAA.

Mergers ??...............Acquisitions ??.................Takeovers ?? etc,

HEL*, I've got news for everyone to consider.

Not only will there NOT be ANY of the above,...IMHO, there is a 50/50 chance that DL/NW will NOT go through !!

I have to agree. This UA/US "merger", if it ever had a chance, has now been completely overtaken by events.

Doug may be running the show but he inherited usair's legendary bad timing.

Our next logical step is to figure out a way to get rid of Tilton, Brace and McDonald.

Yes, merger attempt III is probably dead. Don't discount UAUA and LCC making another go of it under BK in 2009.

With all of the UAL and U/HP merger attempts going back to 1995, its' looking more and more like those hokey "Police Academy" movies (I, II, III, IV, V, etc.) The only thing missing is jet noise sound effects by Michael Winslow.

This "thing" with OIL, is DEADLY SERIOUS, ultimately forcing EVERYONE, to stay by them selves, hunker down, and "try" to SURVIVE through this STORM.

The LAW of the Jungle,..WILL prevail in this OIL STORM.

http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/art...;pgid=hparticle

Airline Bankruptcies: Who's Next to Fall?
Our rankings reveal which firms are well-positioned and which may falter.

Bankruptcies are nothing new to the airline industry, which has seen hundreds of carriers become defunct since the infancy of the business. But a recent spate of bankruptcies by several prominent carriers--including Frontier Airlines (FRNTQ

Sponsored by:
FRNTQ), Aloha Airlines, ATA Airlines, and Skybus--has spooked the industry and investors. While the demise of these carriers was preceded by cutthroat competitive dynamics and faltering liquidity, it seems that escalating oil prices (and in Frontier's case, nervous counterparties) finally pushed them over the edge.

Deteriorating Industry Fundamentals
With oil prices topping more than $130 per barrel, more carriers are in danger than ever before. A lethal combination of high oil prices, falling domestic demand, and unwieldy debt loads makes for treacherous terrain in this notoriously cyclical industry. Fuel now represents the single largest expense item at more than 30% of costs (exceeding labor costs), and inflation-adjusted fuel prices now exceed all-time highs reached back in the 1970s.

OH OH....You're not gonna like this!!!

Reuters/Marketwatch are reporting that the CEO's from both UAL/LCC will be meeting tomorrow (thursday May, 29) to discuss where the company's stand in their merger talks. YGBSM!!!!!
Just when you think this nightmare is over it again comes back to haunt you. When will the BOD at UAL tell Glenn to go packing and quit wasting time with LCC. God help us!!!

Cheers,
Z B)

This is telling....guess who's traveling where to meet Glenn....and kiss his ring!

"US Airways boss Doug Parker and United Airlines boss Glenn Tilton intend to meet tomorrow in Chicago to discuss a merger between the two carriers, according to a source familiar with the deliberations, who said US Airways is "ready and willing" to negotiate final details."

Sounds like DP knows he doesn't have many cards to play is about to fold. The only thing I hope for is that Glenn will drive a HARD bargain and UAL will be dictating the conditions, management, who get's axed (read fleet downsizing, HQ staff, etc). Sources at WHQ tell me that UAL isn't too keen on LCC after looking at their books and feels time is on UAL's side insofar as Glenn feels it'll just be a matter of time before DP and the suits in Tempe coming knocking with hat in hand. Looks like he was right.

It's all speculation but one of the things that could come out of this is a big rationalizing of the fleets. Don't get me wrong. I certainly hope it doesn't go forward. But, should it, then I think there'll be a big push to rid the carrier of ALL 737's and go to a single narrow-body fleet (A320/321). Significant savings/scheduling flexibility to be gained in this regard. The hard part will be who take's the hit?

Something tells me UAL will be insisting on LCC doing some severe pruning before the deal goes forward.

Cheers,
Z B)

This is telling....guess who's traveling where to meet Glenn....and kiss his ring!

"US Airways boss Doug Parker and United Airlines boss Glenn Tilton intend to meet tomorrow in Chicago to discuss a merger between the two carriers, according to a source familiar with the deliberations, who said US Airways is "ready and willing" to negotiate final details."

Sounds like DP knows he doesn't have many cards to play is about to fold. The only thing I hope for is that Glenn will drive a HARD bargain and UAL will be dictating the conditions, management, who get's axed (read fleet downsizing, HQ staff, etc). Sources at WHQ tell me that UAL isn't too keen on LCC after looking at their books and feels time is on UAL's side insofar as Glenn feels it'll just be a matter of time before DP and the suits in Tempe coming knocking with hat in hand. Looks like he was right.

It's all speculation but one of the things that could come out of this is a big rationalizing of the fleets. Don't get me wrong. I certainly hope it doesn't go forward. But, should it, then I think there'll be a big push to rid the carrier of ALL 737's and go to a single narrow-body fleet (A320/321). Significant savings/scheduling flexibility to be gained in this regard. The hard part will be who take's the hit?

Something tells me UAL will be insisting on LCC doing some severe pruning before the deal goes forward.

Cheers,
Z B)
your so full of it .

I still believe talks are on permanent hold. Tomorrows meeting is not a negotiation. It is Tilton's last ditch effort to give a final offer to the increasingly frustrated and impatient Doug Parker. One that will actually get past UA's skeptical BOD. He will be playing hard ball and presenting his last "take it or leave it" offer to Parker... pre-nup and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back