Ua Positioned To Gain Market Share In Den

So, what was UAL ontime on arrivals in January and do post the lost bags again.

As for July and August, UAL arrival (+14) was around 82%, seems not to be in the latest release. Wonder why?

D8, that was the "most recent" DOT report.

you lost more bags per pax than SWA, AWA, Alska, Airtran and Cal, and were only marginally better than network carriers U, UAL, and NWA.

"As for July and August, UAL arrival (+14) was around 82%, seems not to be in the latest release. Wonder why?"

Uh, again, that WAS the latest report. If I wanted to make you really look bad the link would have been the one for Q1, when your on-time 14 was 14 out of 17.

Busdrvr,

As far as I can see, UAL latest press release talks about on time departures, cannot seem to locate arrival(+14) numbers.

When your main base of operations gets hit by a great big snowstorm that takes a couple of day to dig out from, numbers are bound to suffer. The numbers for first quarter were Jan 81%, Feb 76%,March 78%.

As far as the bag situation is concerned, at times it is better than most, some times worse.

It is a moot point anyway, while jetBlue is a great airline and an even better place to work, we operate about 1/8 of the flights UAL does. I simply took offense at the "lackluster ontime performance", especially since, barring power outages or snowstorms, we do very well. I believe the numbers for 2002, which we did not report to the DOT, would have put us in the top 3 or 4 in all the good numbers:)

Of course, we always do well in DB's since we do not oversell our flights.

D8, no, your 2002 numbers would have put you in FIRST place and by a significant margin. that's the point. eroding performance with growth. Yes I would expect B6 to have a larger variation in performance to to regional issues. So in some months when you do REALLY well, we may have a snow storm in DIA and a monsoon at NRT.

"Of course, we always do well in DB's since we do not oversell our flights."

That will likely change as you add frequency (or your load factor will go down). Currently, if you get stuck in traffic and miss the one flight to DEN you got to buy another ticket for the next day. Add a few more flights and folks "expect" to get on the next one (and if they don't, they'll write nasty letters and tell all their freinds that you suck). Then if you start trying to increase revenue by offering connecting service.... :shock:

Well, hopefully we will stay on top of that. Although, I am sure we both can agree, that seats are a very time limited commodity. If a passenger does not make a flight, due to the airline, obviously one have to accomodate them very well, but if it is due to the customers fault, not really much can be done. If the customers does not make the flight, the seat, if one does not overbook, becomes "spoiled milk". I still think not overbooking is the right thing to do, denied boardings are not fun for the customer, expensive for the airline and not good for business when viewed as a service industry.

Man, we need to get out more, talking about ontime performance. Something the airlines consider important, but passengers, in general, seem to care about price, price and price.

We now return to the regularily scheduled program:
Ua Positioned To Gain Market Share In Den.

Well, hopefully we will stay on top of that. Although, I am sure we both can agree, that seats are a very time limited commodity. If a passenger does not make a flight, due to the airline, obviously one have to accomodate them very well, but if it is due to the customers fault, not really much can be done. If the customers does not make the flight, the seat, if one does not overbook, becomes "spoiled milk". I still think not overbooking is the right thing to do, denied boardings are not fun for the customer, expensive for the airline and not good for business when viewed as a service industry.

The customer actually created the overbooking problem.
Buyiny tickets on 2 airlines so he had a seat if one canceled is why overbooking happened.
Becase airlines shadow each other and never go out on a limb, they never stopped this procedure.

Having a non refundable ticket is the only way to correct the problem. The customer owns that seat whether he sits in it or not.
It is so simple that it is too complex for the ceo's to grasp.
Lcc is the better solution.

Diesel8 said:
Man, we need to get out more, talking about ontime performance. Something the airlines consider important, but passengers, in general, seem to care about price, price and price.

We now return to the regularily scheduled program:
Ua Positioned To Gain Market Share In Den.
Yup, one only needs to look at Airtran's (another industry "darling") truely dismal operational performance to understand your point. But back on topic, UAL IS a LF carrier, now they are just trying to match the costs with the revenue.

UAL's record "on time" number is for ON TIME +0. And even then, it's for DEPARTURES. Nothing to do with your scheduled + 14 stat.

For the 1st quarter of 2003, Jblu was 14 out of 17 for all the reporting airlines in DOT on time +14. [/quote]
Not to defend JB or any other airline, but I don't think the general public gives a whole lot of weight to on time. For any airline a difference of a couple of flights, one way or another in the 14 minute time frame, can move them up or down in the rankings. It doesn't take a whole bunch of flights to move a couple of tenths of a percentage point.

Welcome back United Chicago!

Looks like United finally has some competent marketing and business analysts working for it. Denver is a great entry market for United's TED since it is a hub city and TED will connect to mainline international flights and at the same time serve the leisure-pleasure market.

Busdrvr said:
Stop it!! you're confusing Him!!! ;) . You get a guy who got his "dream job" flying for FRNT wages after a few years of slugging it out in a EMB-120 fresh out of high school, and he has no knowledge of the way this business works.
Busdriver, One question- How often were you beat up in High School? :(

Capt of the football team, all state wrestler, recruited college athlete... Hmm, not often :rolleyes: