Because Of Ted?

He predicts Song, Delta’s own low-fare airline, and Ted, a similar operation run by United, will become “footnotes†within a year or two. “The airline within an airline model has never worked. If you’re going to fix the factory, fix the factory. Don’t create a sideshow outside and say how beautiful it is. The most consistent comment coming out of Song passengers is, ‘Why can’t Delta be like this?’ If you need to fix Delta, fix Delta.â€

Gee...you think...but ohhh no...ask our management and pilots

Another potential issue for Southwest is the decision last year by its mechanics to leave the International Brotherhood of Teamsters and sign up with the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association, a union with a feisty reputation. The current mechanics contract extends through 2005. “The mechanics are interesting,â€￾ says Allen. “If you’re a pilot and suddenly you’re not a pilot anymore, what are you? But the mechanics are highly skilled and there are a lot of places they could go. They are the scary guys in terms of being able to control the carrier.â€￾

Now you know I like this....even if it's not very accurate....this guy obviously hasn't seen the broken down war horses I know....they're not going anywhere...the can't.... :shock:

The Ronin said:
Now you know I like this....even if it's not very accurate....this guy obviously hasn't seen the broken down war horses I know....they're not going anywhere...the can't.... :shock:
He's speaking in general terms. Yes, there are some mechs who don't apply here, but there are many who do.
and we have even more experts...
FWIW, Elizabeth Bailey was the public policy architect of airline deregulation. She and Alfred Kahn were the two commissioned with designing the system we are living with today.

Ronin,
What dou speak of? Is Ted the saviour of United or not? Is United going to get the loan? Can they survive without it?

Ted is bullsh*t PR. I don't know why UAL can't make it. I just don't have the big picture with the numbers. Our pilots pay looks competitive, is it still their work rules, or still too many? Same thing with our F/A's and mechanics. Do our F/A's need to clean the plane so we can be profitable :D I know we fly different fleet types but we serve different markets. I do know we carry more management than anyone else, but even if we cut 30%-50% would that make it work? All comments are based on "the darling" airline that posts a profit...LUV. I really believe this though, no doom and gloom just reality, we are not going to get the loan. All the 15-16 yr guys are getting ready to go out the door by end of summer. Like I said, at this point it's not bad guys, good guys, just math.

Airline within an airline will never work? Amazing! Gee, what do they base this on? Oh yeah, history, logic, common sense!

Song and Ted will end up parked next to Continental Lite, Metrojet, the edsel, new coke... :lol:

I'm not convinced it will never work. However, for it to work, the airlines must be separate in the eyes of the consumer. As soon as they are not, brand confusion becomes a huge issue.

Its all about branding!

But I am amazed at the airline business, proven techniques that lead to failure are constantly repeated, and they people act suprised when the inevitable happens :blink:

The Ronin said:
Do our F/A's need to clean the plane so we can be profitable :D
On terminating flights of 3 or more hours, we do not clean the plane. On flights less than that, we do.

Election year.....ahhhhhh! B)

HPearlyretiree said:
Its all about branding!
Yup. And when I buy a Ted ticket from, say, Expedia, I'm told I'm going to be flying on United.

That leads me to wonder...how hard is it to get a new IATA code for a sub-airline? Can it even be done?

Yeah, its like getting tickets to a Beatles concert, and finding out that Yoko is gonna be the opening act!