Ual F/a Chaos

spacewaitress said:
These links are more telling...

Observer notes May 5

Observer notes May 9

These are from AMFA website
[post="268062"][/post]​

More telling? Yeah, it tells that they are still negotiating and inching closer to a last minute deal.

One interesting thing in particular was AMFA's desire for an 8% DC contribution instead of the 4% offered, saying that 4% is below the pilot's 6%. Pilots are going to lose way more with the elimination of the DB plan in 3 ways:

1- pensions were way above the PBGC cap as opposed to the mechanics.
2- pilot's took a higher% pay cut at every turn, along with bumping to lower paying equipment, so our 6% is of a much lower number to start with.
3- Pilots are currently required to retire at 60 instead of 65, so the pilot's PBGC cap is actually lower than the mechanics.

(I'm sure there are some mechanics who really love the fact that they will get a significantly higher pension guarantee from the PBGC than pilots will.)

In light of those facts, 4% DC contribution sounds equitable to me. But for the record, I hope the mechanics get as much as they can while still reaching an agreement. I don't care if you get a 25% DC plan, as long as an agreement is reached that satisfies both parties.

While the notion of a strike seems far fetched, it is likely that UA will suffer some effect of booking away. Strike or no strike, the bad press will have a detrimental effect on UA. Good luck.

All I know is that I tried to book seats for a last minute business trip to ORD later this week on AA, and everything I wanted to book was sold out... UA, no problem. What's that tell you?...

I guess there will be a huge loss to Delta too, right? Considering all the talk about bankruptcy filings and no forseeable DIP financing available. Delta Stock Drops on Loss Warning. See ya in BK Luv2Fly :up:

John Q. Public cares about only ONE thing. The best deal. Even when the rumors flew that US Airways would liquidate in January, they still had full planes.

luv2fly said:
Flyer talk? Mostly seasoned travelers with miles to burn. The rest of John Q. Public will probably not want to take chances with their summer vacations.
[post="268102"][/post]​
That's just what I was thinking. Loads during April on all my trips were relatively light...except for Ted flights to Vegas. On my trips so far in May they have been okay, but there are seats available. I think it depends on the market really. United's always done a pretty good job of keeping seats full...just haven't been able to make money doing it.

That's because we have overpaid employees and pension liabilities that haven't been paid for the last 18 months.

More telling? Yeah, it tells that they are still negotiating and inching closer to a last minute deal.
Yeah and they're really close on job security issues, which is what any strike will be about.

From May 5:
"This deliberate disregard of the number one issue identified by the AMFA membership causes one to wonder.

This latest Company offer casts grievous doubts about any chance for
member ratification. The members have overwhelmingly identified job
security as one of the few things that could induce them to vote yes. Instead
of offering language to all technicians as of the date of signing the Company
chose to strike a division within our ranks—those with some hope for a
future with UAL and those left without that hope.

The most disturbing thing about the senior leaders at United—Tilton,
McDonald, Brace, Hacker, and Tague—is their failure to fully appreciate the
importance of the goodwill of its entire maintenance workforce. Even in the
midst of eleven years of failed management initiatives, our members take
pride in their work and consistently deliver superior support to the airline.
We approach, however, a tipping point. If the Company and legal system
attempt to force this group of talented technicians to accept a court mandated
contract, then we will all find ourselves in uncharted and dangerous territory."

From May 9:

"The Company continues to resist the top two priorities of the Negotiating Committee.
The Company doesn’t feel that it needs to offer any more job security than it already has
offered. Its 4% DC replacement plan offer also remains well below the union target of
8% and also below the pilot deal at 6%. Tomorrow starts the last day before the
beginning of the 1113© trial. The next 24 hours should tell a great deal about the
direction of these negotiations."

The company says they'll contact AMFA by 9am, that was today...wonder what happened.

Until I read that they have made progress on that issue, I'll remain cautious at best.

Former ModerAAtor said:
All I know is that I tried to book seats for a last minute business trip to ORD later this week on AA, and everything I wanted to book was sold out... UA, no problem. What's that tell you?...
[post="268101"][/post]​

that maybe you should fly United? Enjoy the extra leg room, channel 9, and the audio entertainment on every flight... :D

Busdrvr said:
that maybe you should fly United? Enjoy the extra leg room, channel 9, and the audio entertainment on every flight... :D
[post="268117"][/post]​

Nice try, but AA will enjoy the extra business!

Busdrvr said:
that maybe you should fly United?  Enjoy the extra leg room, channel 9, and the audio entertainment on every flight... :D
[post="268117"][/post]​

and don't forget that we are going completely Wi-Fi to be completed by 2006!! :up: (Can't even get audio on US! :shock: )

QUOTE(Former ModerAAtor @ May 10 2005, 07:36 PM)

From where?? Pray tell. B)

MCI transplant said:
<_< Get it right aa! With TWA it was Uncle Carl, not daddy Frank!!!And the man's right! With you it's all talk!!! Let's leave these people with their own proplems, and stick to the aa board!!!Signed:" Just another one of aa's redheaded stepchildren!"
[post="267864"][/post]​
If anyone has read my posts on this matter, they will see that I am not telling them what to do. What they do is totally up to them (just like the USAir people). In fact, I have said that I think UA will exit bankruptcy and survive. I have also said that I think that UA employees will do what the USAir employees did. It seemed to me that Busdrvr was attacking AA employees and I responded to his attacks. He does the same thing on the USAir board when USA320Pilot says something he does not like. While he talks about the relatively recent accidents at AA; spanning from the 1995 Cali accident to the 2001 Airbus accident; he seems to forget that before 1995 AA went for about 16 years without an accident (the one DC-10 in ORD I believe in 1979). As to the "forklift", someone has stated that the other operators of the DC-10 at the time used the same procedure. AA just got bit in the a$$ first.

MCI transplant said:
<_< Get it right aa! With TWA it was Uncle Carl, not daddy Frank!!!And the man's right! With you it's all talk!!! Let's leave these people with their own proplems, and stick to the aa board!!!Signed:" Just another one of aa's redheaded stepchildren!"
[post="267864"][/post]​

Reread my post.

Back