Ual F/a Chaos

From ALPA MEC communications:

"The second category of objections related to the interplay between the national policies favoring collective bargaining versus the national policy protecting the solvency of the PBGC. In summary, Judge Wedoff ruled that the PBGC solvency policy trumped the policy favoring collective bargaining.

After Judge Wedoff’s ruling, UAL withdrew its Section 1113c filing against the AFA, as the pension issue was the only issue facing the AFA. AFA’s claim regarding the Salaried and Management reduction calculations is scheduled for arbitration later this month and should resolve one way or the other the AFA’s notice to terminate their Agreement over non-pension issues."
----------------------------------------------------------

So with the 1113c filing withdrawn, there is no contract abrogation, therefore no basis for a strike. This basically takes the wind out of the CHAOS sails. Any action now would be clearly illegal.

All those hoping to see an AFA strike can now go home in disappointment.

The last paragraph also is worth posting. Very good advice to all:

"As events unfold in United's bankruptcy case this week, you will be seeing numerous press reports. Undoubtedly you also will hear endless streams of speculation and rumors from your fellow employees while flying the line. I ask you to be mindful that everything you hear and read may not necessarily reflect the facts."

Not so sure about that 767jetz, the pension was part of their contract. AFA feels like their contract has been changed without their consent. Might be a major dispute allowing them to seek self help.

Fly said:
I guess there will be a huge loss to Delta too, right?  Considering all the talk about bankruptcy filings and no forseeable DIP financing available.  Delta Stock Drops on Loss Warning.  See ya in BK Luv2Fly  :up:

John Q. Public cares about only ONE thing.  The best deal.  Even when the rumors flew that US Airways would liquidate in January, they still had full planes.
[post="268103"][/post]​

I thought we were talking about UA here. Try staying on topic. :D

IORFA said:
Not so sure about that 767jetz, the pension was part of their contract. AFA feels like their contract has been changed without their consent. Might be a major dispute allowing them to seek self help.
[post="268300"][/post]​
That is indeed AFA's position.

TheDog2004 said:
so are you guys going to strike already or what?
[post="268333"][/post]​

It's all rhetoric! All DELETED

The judge ruled in UAL's favor... WHERE'S THE STRIKE?

Today, another judge will rule on abbrogating labor agreements. He too will most likely side with UAL.......WILL THERE BE A STRIKE BY THE END OF TODAY?

Just like the TWU jointly innovated with AMR to decimate labor agreements without the benefit of a bankruptcy judge beginning in 1983, their actions have set the stage for screwing airline workers for years to come.

And now with the UAL favored pension ruling and likely contract abbrogation decision today, these actions will write the final chapter, a sad, sad one at that, for airline workers.

Just remember to keep smiling and make that passenger as happy and comfortable as you can. Make those planes depart on time. Better yet, 5 mins before scheduled departure. Make them as happy as can be so UAL can get to the top of the DOT rankings in every category.

This way UAL can say "DELETED em good and they are happier than pigs inDELETED .

That is exactly what I plan to do. I will work this afternoon and take care of my passengers as if they were my own.. You know why? Because that's my job. If I don't like it, I can quit. There is no excuse to show lack of character by mistreating your customers because you feel that your company owes you something. It's business.

It was my impression that turning over the pensions to the PBGC represented a change in the status quo. A technical interpretation would then give AFA the right to seek "self help". Of course, the legal interpretation is what ultimately matters. So far, it doesn't appear as though AFA has the guts to attempt CHAOS. That's either because they've gotten advice from counsel that they're position stands on a legal slippery slope, or, that the AFA leadership has once again issued hollow, empty threats.

IORFA said:
[post="268300"][/post]​

Once again:

"In summary, Judge Wedoff ruled that the PBGC solvency policy trumped the policy favoring collective bargaining."

JungleClone said:
That's either because they've gotten advice from counsel that they're position stands on a legal slippery slope,
[post="268388"][/post]​

That is correct.

What I'm wondering is what happened to all the people who were saying, "We don't trust the company anymore. Take it to the judge and let him decide."

Well the judge decided, and like a sore loser now they want a "do-over." What they are really saying is, "take it to someone who will see it our way, or else we'll throw a temper tantrum!" Or, "lets keep counting the votes until we get the outcome that we want."

Fly said:
That is exactly what I plan to do. I will work this afternoon and take care of my passengers as if they were my own.. You know why? Because that's my job. If I don't like it, I can quit. There is no excuse to show lack of character by mistreating your customers because you feel that your company owes you something. It's business.
[post="268387"][/post]​

I see the corporate fairy has sprinkled their magic Management Dust on you.

gatemech said:
[post="268397"][/post]​
So I take it you're one of those losers who feels justified acting like a (slang term for male body part) towards customers because of what their company has or hasn't done for them? Got it.

Are you also one of those people who, if you get in an argument with your spouse in the morning, proceeds to be rude and obnoxious to everyone else for the rest of the day?

-synchronicity, starting to understand the mentality of certain employees

It looks like management has wrapped this package up with a pretty little bow to keep AFA and the other labor groups from having any way to attack the problem. Apparently, because the PBGC technically came in to TAKE the pensions instead of UAL technically GIVING the pensions up, then it's deemed to be out of the company's control and not a violation of the contract.

Since it was clear that management wanted to dump the contract, it seems from this outsider's view that this is a distinction without a difference. This strikes me as grounds for appeal and could open the door to allowing "self help" by labor if an appeals court sees it that way. For now, it looks like the judge has effectively barred the unions from taking any "self help" action since he said the contract has not been violated, technically. We'll see what happens in court today with the rest of the contract.

In a good piece in the Chicago Tribune today, a columnist (don't have name or article in front of me right now) pointed out that labor's best strategy would seem to be to go after credible, competing plans for re-organization and push the court to consider these plans and make Tilton & Co. give up their current exclusivity. That could be the pressure point to make management come up with more labor-friendly terms. How long has UAL been in Ch. 11? Isn't it time for some competiing ideas?

gatemech said:
[post="268397"][/post]​

No, gatemech. It's called personal integrity. Screwing over the customer because one "thinks" they've been screwed over by management is playing SMALL.

FLY just happens to have a little more emotional maturity and and a lot more class than a lot of you guys.

I want my customer as my ally...on MY SIDE.

The problem is, too many guys like you are stuck in an OLD PARADIGM. FLY got it right: If she doesn't like it she can QUIT.

And please, if you're going to flame me, spare me with your rants about drinking Management's Koolaid...it's TIRED.

Have a nice day. :)

Latest posts