UAL Maintenance & Related Will Vote on Union Representation

Boomer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
http://www.amfanatl.org/Pages/05_Organizing/UALElection.pdf

30 April 2003

The National Mediation Board has ruled that the Maintenance & Related Class and Craft will vote to determine their Union Representative.

The resepective parties have until 4 pm, ET, on 21 May, 2003, to challenge the List of Potential Eligible Voters. Responses and/or Objections must be filed by 4 pm, ET, 30 May 2003.

Notice and Sample Instructions will be sent on 5 June, 2003.

Telephonic Electronic Voting Instructions will be mailed to Employees on 12 June, 2003.

The voting period will be from 12:01 am, ET, 12 June, 2003 until 14 July, 2003 at 2pm, ET.

Good Luck to all.

----------------
On 4/30/2003 9:45:38 PM wts54 wrote:

Great news now we can get rid of this
ramp and cleaner union hopefully forever.
Get them the hell off the property.

----------------​
According to the article, if less than half of the members vote, there will be no union.
Unions only help the slow and dumb employees. If you mechanics are as sharp as you all talk, you would all be better off without the union.
Get paid on your own merits. The sharp guys would be getting 40% raises and the dumb guys that only know how to change a tire would make less than a cleaner.
I guess we will see how many sharp guys are out there soon.

I like the second paragraph.

http://www.iam141m.org/united.htm

AMFA Puts Future of United
Airlines and its Employees at Risk

Washington D.C., April 30, 2003 – The National Mediation Board (NMB) today announced it would hold an election between the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) and the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) for representation of United Airlines’ Mechanic & Related employees. These employees are currently represented by the IAM.

"We will defend our members from these anti-labor predators that prey on working families when they are most vulnerable," said Robert Roach, Jr., IAM General Vice President of Transportation. "AMFA organizers have lied to our members by making undeliverable promises in order to gain support for this election. They spread more lies and propaganda than the former Iraqi information minister."

AMFA currently represents Northwest Airlines Mechanics, Cleaners and Custodians, and have remained idle while the airline transferred their members’ jobs to non-union and foreign contractors.

"Since AMFA began collecting our dues in 1999, Northwest has gutted our contract, we’ve lost seniority rights and the ability to file a meaningful grievance, and we now pay one of the highest dues rate in the industry," said Robert Lemire, a Northwest Airlines mechanic and AMFA member. "I have seen 5,000 good technicians change careers and am tired of watching my work contracted out of the country at an unprecedented rate due to the actions of inept and inexperienced negotiators. It is sad to think United’s mechanics may suffer the same fate."

Ballots for the Telephone Electronic Voting (TEV) election will be mailed on June 12, 2003 and tabulated at the NMB headquarters in Washington, DC on July 14, 2003.

"In spite of the sacrifices more than 80,000 families are making, United’s survival has been put at risk by a group of scam artists working out of a real estate office in New Hampshire," said Roach. "United’s unions have been meeting with potential investors to secure the exit financing necessary for United to emerge from bankruptcy. Labor peace is the single common requirement for exit financing, and AMFA’s actions have jeopardized United’s ability to emerge from bankruptcy.

"AMFA has been successful in isolating the Technicians from all other Northwest employee groups, in addition to the internal disruption between the AMFA-represented licensed mechanics, non-licensed mechanics, cleaners and custodians created by their divide and destroy policy," said Lemire. "They have created chaos where there was once order."

"Sadly, the hard work of so many people to keep United Airlines alive may all be in vain, said Roach.

More information on AMFA’s campaign to destroy United’s workforce can be found at www.iam-amt.org. For more information on the Machinists Union, visit www.goiam.org.

I guess those AMFA supporters are the ones that will be layed off by UAL so they can be employed by Boeing?? UAL has already planned for this.

----------------
On 5/1/2003 4:40:47 AM atabuy wrote:

----------------

----------------​
According to the article, if less than half of the members vote, there will be no union.
Unions only help the slow and dumb employees. If you mechanics are as sharp as you all talk, you would all be better off without the union.
Get paid on your own merits. The sharp guys would be getting 40% raises and the dumb guys that only know how to change a tire would make less than a cleaner.

----------------​

I really don''t care for unions myself. In aviation it is a must. If there wasn’t a union for the mechanics at UAL nobody would have more than a couple of years seniority. The management is full of the worst people you can imagine. All mechanics aren''t so perfect either. As bad as the IAM is having a union in place keeps people from getting walked for no reason. Believe me it would happen if there were no union. The days of the big industrial unions are going away. The IAM has given up on the mechanics. I feel they are stealing from me. I''m not getting what my dues pays for. Maybe AMFA won''t be any better. I''m willing to give them a try. All this talk from the IAM about UAL going CH 7 because of this is crazy. They claim AMFA has lied to the members. They need to look in a mirror. I saw it last time we wanted a vote. Hundreds of names that they stated were part of the mechanic & related. None of them were paying union dues. I understand that a large number of those people signed an AMFA card. I would put money on it that the IAM says they are not mechanic & related. It is time for change. The industry is changing. UAL is changing and the union needs to be changed too.

Good news for the AMFA vote would be that laid off employees can vote. Providing they are not working for another carrier or in their field for someone else.
It is in the NMB rules sec 9.204

----------------

----------------

----------------​

----------------​

Shows how much you know. Maintenance management loves dumb guys and wants them as lead mechanics so they can control them.

----------------

----------------​

Make sure you don''t let the IAM know you''re an AMFA voter. They may identify the ballots of known AMFA voters and discard them. On the last AMFA-IAM vote, I was told to put my ballot in an envelope and then put that envelope in another envelope. As I said on "the-mechanic" bulletin board I wondered about the monkey-motion with the envelopes at the time. It occurred to me later that any ballots with double envelopes could have been discarded. I was told that 1,100 ballots were discarded in that election, and that would have made a difference. If you''re voting AMFA, tell the IAM you''re voting for the IAM so that your ballot will count. They''ll probably try to mark your ballot somehow. Watch for IAM polling to take place soon....or maybe they''ll just use the results from the last poll. Hopefully it won''t make a difference this time.

----------------

----------------​

atabuy:

So whose going to be determining who is smart and who is slow and dumb? Will it be up to those really sharp management people we have? I can see your point, UAL management only has really smart people, there aren't any dummies there.

I'm thinking maybe you should put the crack pipe away for awhile.

and by the way atabuy: do YOU know how to change a tire?

----------------

----------------

----------------​

----------------​
atabuy,
It is quite evident that you have never worked under the first line supervision at UAL.
Speak of what you know (or think you know) and move on.
Unions are a failure of management!!!
If there were ever a shining example for the need of unionization in any organization,
UAL would be the ''POSTER BOY''!!!

IMHO.
:) UT

If there were ever a shining example for the need of unionization in any organization,

UAL_TECH,

How true that is.

----------------
On 5/2/2003 3:57:23 AM UAL_TECH wrote:

​

----------------

----------------

----------------​

----------------​

atabuy,

It is quite evident that you have never worked under the first line supervision at UAL.

Speak of what you know (or think you know) and move on.

If there were ever a shining example for the need of unionization in any organization,

IMHO.

:) UT

----------------​

UT and the rest of the mechanics class.

I have worked for both good and bad leadership, and have found out one thing that is always constant.
Good workers never get hassled, and bad workers do. Bad workers are usually not inferior mechanics, but attitude stops them from giving even 70% to the company in productivity.

There are good and bad attitudes in both management and the mechanic class.
The whole shame of this is; no one makes someone have a bad attitude. The person chooses to be happy or mad about anything in life.

You guys all want to be victims, but the perpatrator of your offense is yourself.
Grow up and take responsibility for yourselves. Go to work with a positive attitude and don''t worry about the other guy. As long as Ual gives you the money to support your family and makes sure you are working in a safe enviorment, forget about Ual making you happy. That is your responsibility again.

Now if Ual does not meet your needs, get another job with some one else who you think will make you happy. Don''t pull everyone at Ual down because you are dissatisfied.