US Airways AMT's - How Voting Will Work

AIRWOMAN

Veteran
Oct 20, 2005
http://www.teamsterairmechanics.org/news/hn_060224_1.htm

US Airways AMTs: Letter from Treichler on How Voting Will Work
February 24, 2006

To All US Airways Mechanics and Related Employees:
On behalf of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Airline Division, let me congratulate you all on your efforts over the last several months that have allowed the IBT to provide a showing of interest to the National Mediation Board (NMB) and force an election that will allow you to select the Teamsters as your representative.

For those of you who are not already aware, on February 13, the IBT submitted an application for an investigation of representation dispute to the NMB seeking to become the representative of the post-merger, consolidated craft or class of Mechanics and Related Employees at US Airways.

This application was filed following the NMB’s determination that US Airways and America West Airlines have merged to form a single carrier. Because the mechanic groups at the two airlines are represented by different unions, an election is necessary to determine who is the representative of the post-merger, consolidated craft or class.

Now, because hundreds of you stood up to demand the chance to choose your bargaining agent, an election should be under way in the near future. At this point, the NMB has demanded that US Airways provide it with a list of potential eligible voters by 10:00 a.m., ET, on February 28.

Once the NMB receives the list from the carrier, it will be checked against the showing of interest (authorization cards and certification for the America West mechanics) that the IBT provided.

The IBT is fully confident that the NMB will then authorize an election and set dates for the voting period, as well as dates to submit challenges or objections to the list of voters supplied by the carrier.

As with all elections conducted by the NMB, the US Airways mechanic election will be conducted using the NMB’s telephone electronic voting (TEV) system. The voting period generally lasts 21 days, although longer periods have been used for larger groups. The voting process is simple. It begins with the NMB mailing a set of TEV instructions to each eligible employee.

These TEV instructions are very important because they contain a secret voter identification number (VIN) and personal identification number (PIN) that must be used to vote in the election. Once you receive your TEV instructions we urge you NOT to wait. Vote immediately. Voting over the telephone can be done 24 hours per day and should only take a few minutes.

At the end of the voting period, the NMB tallies all the votes and certifies the union receiving the majority of votes cast.

Over the last several months, the IAM has engaged in a scare tactic campaign by telling you that if less than majority of eligible employees cast votes in the election, then the entire mechanic group will become unrepresented. While it is true that a majority (50% plus 1) of eligible employees must vote in the election to keep the group from losing all representation, there has never been a contested election among a mechanic group of this size that did not easily exceed the majority-voting requirement.

Thank you for supporting a fair election, and for your belief that U.S. Airways mechanics deserve a union that can do more. I am looking forward to welcoming all of you to the IBT very soon.

Fraternally,

Don Treichler
Director, Teamsters Airline Division

That is good to hear
Now the onslaught of some of the " others " that are on here and a really bad press release from dl142 attacking it as lies and half truths ad nauseum

but we need to do it right the first time and get the IBT voted in!!!!

Sky Beaver posts for IBT??......... :lol: :lol:
I did NOT post FOR the IBT. I posted for anyone on the board who may be interested.

Your post is TOTALLY insulting to me personally. Such a respect you have for women! NOT!! :angry:

allowed the IBT to provide a showing of interest to the National Mediation Board (NMB) and force an election that will allow you to select the Teamsters as your representative.

Truth or fiction? Has an election approved??

Because the mechanic groups at the two airlines are represented by different unions, an election is necessary to determine who is the representative of the post-merger, consolidated craft or class.

Fraternally,

Don Treichler
Director, Teamsters Airline Division

Truth or fiction? Is a election necessary to determine who is the representative of the post-merger, consolidated craft or class

Truth or fiction? Has an election approved??
Truth or fiction? Is a election necessary to determine who is the representative of the post-merger, consolidated craft or class
Whether or not there is an election has not yet been determined. The process is underway. Yes, an election will be/would be necessary if that's what the members want. And again, the process of determining whether or not there will be an election, is underway.

View attachment 4469View attachment 4468[attachment=44
8:attachment]
I did NOT post FOR the IBT. I posted for anyone on the board who may be interested.

Your post is TOTALLY insulting to me personally. Such a respect you have for women! NOT!! :angry:
air woman you will have to excuse dell for his ways he used to be the one streched out three across while he was a mechamic/inspector/lead by the way here is a photo of him

You know, I haven't posted in a single one of these IAM/IBT or IAM/TWU threads (I've got my opinion, and a strong one, but don't think that it's relevant or my place to comment), but I feel compelled to respond in this one. PineyBob (and I normally love him to death, but I really think he's gone overboard here) has felt the need to jump all over every little fault, real or imagined, in every single one of the IAM press releases. Now he's been right a great deal of the time, on the general idea that regardless of whether the IAM is better or not, whether they're right or not, they've certainly been doing a crappy job of getting their message out. But then the IBT sends out this laugh of a press release that's chock full of just as many half-truths as the IAM ones, and neither he nor anyone else calls them on it. I just can't help but see yet another example of US/West=GOOD, US/East=BAD; I sure hope I'm wrong. Let's see:

To All US Airways Mechanics and Related Employees:
On behalf of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Airline Division, let me congratulate you all on your efforts over the last several months that have allowed the IBT to provide a showing of interest to the National Mediation Board (NMB) and force an election that will allow you to select the Teamsters as your representative.

For those of you who are not already aware, on February 13, the IBT submitted an application for an investigation of representation dispute to the NMB seeking to become the representative of the post-merger, consolidated craft or class of Mechanics and Related Employees at US Airways.

This application was filed following the NMB’s determination that US Airways and America West Airlines have merged to form a single carrier. Because the mechanic groups at the two airlines are represented by different unions, an election is necessary to determine who is the representative of the post-merger, consolidated craft or class.

So this basically says that the IBT filed their stuff, and that they were successful, "an election is necessary", it's all set.

Now, because hundreds of you stood up to demand the chance to choose your bargaining agent, an election should be under way in the near future. At this point, the NMB has demanded that US Airways provide it with a list of potential eligible voters by 10:00 a.m., ET, on February 28.

Once the NMB receives the list from the carrier, it will be checked against the showing of interest (authorization cards and certification for the America West mechanics) that the IBT provided.

The IBT is fully confident that the NMB will then authorize an election and set dates for the voting period, as well as dates to submit challenges or objections to the list of voters supplied by the carrier.

But this here says that NOTHING NEW HAPPENED. They're still waiting for the NMB to decide just like they were yesterday, but they just randomly decided to send out a press release screaming that the election is coming.

Over the last several months, the IAM has engaged in a scare tactic campaign by telling you that if less than majority of eligible employees cast votes in the election, then the entire mechanic group will become unrepresented. While it is true that a majority (50% plus 1) of eligible employees must vote in the election to keep the group from losing all representation, there has never been a contested election among a mechanic group of this size that did not easily exceed the majority-voting requirement.

And this is the most ridiculous part of all, considering it's really one of the most important things to consider with this whole issue. The IBT says "While it is true that a majority (50% plus 1) of eligible employees must vote in the election to keep the group from losing all representation, there has never been a contested election among a mechanic group of this size that did not easily exceed the majority-voting requirement." If you read into that sentence, it tells you absolutely ZERO.

Again, "there has never been a contested election among a mechanic group of this size that did not easily exceed the majority-voting requirement." They're clearly implying that there've been plenty of groups lose representation, they just claim it can't happen here. I'd like some specific facts, and so far all I've seen is 700UW list specific workgroups at USAir/Piedmont/PSA that in fact lost their unions, and specific workgroups at the wholly-owned Express Piedmont/Allegheny that in fact lost their unions. I've also seen numbers that show the HP workers barely voted in their unions in the first place, after taking multiple tries. Those are all facts. This is double speak.

One more time, "there has never been a contested election among a mechanic group of this size that did not easily exceed the majority-voting requirement." What's "a mechanic group of this size" supposed to mean? Does that mean that there's never been a mechanic group bigger than this that was decertified, but that there've been a bunch of smaller ones decertified? Or does that mean that there's never been a mechanic group smaller than this that was decertified, but that there've been a bunch of bigger ones decertified? Or does it mean that there's never been a "mechanic" group of this size that was decertified, but that there have tons of other classes/crafts besides mechanics that are this size that have been decertified? Let's take a really narrow meaning. They could be claiming that "there has never been a mechanic group with exactly 3,502 mechanics that did not exceed the majority-voting requirement." That would be no doubt true. It would also be completely meaningless and tell no one anything of any value, other than perhaps showing the IBT is just as full of it as the IAM.

Heh, and someone was accusing me of having an axe to grind with Tempe. I've apparently got an axe to grind with everyone. :p

(I'm also cranky because I got up waaaay too early to watch the Olympic hockey finals, and my beloved Antero Niittymaki lost.)

Here's a cyber hug to the Lady of The Boards...XOXOX

Gentle spirits have a rough time on these wicked boards don’t they Air-- :)

You know, I haven't posted in a single one of these IAM/IBT or IAM/TWU threads (I've got my opinion, and a strong one, but don't think that it's relevant or my place to comment

Interesting ringmaruf. The interpretation of the flier can be taken different directions. What I get out of it is different, at first glance, than what you have extracted. You are correct about the IAM/IBT verbal battles. I still hold to the view point that the IBT is overall in a better position than the IAM. I would be hard pressed to give you one certain point that make me believe the way I do. If I was required to give that opinion it would have to be the resistance of the IAM to see change coming and its unwillingness to change. The IBT sees that unions will have to change and adapt. One very bold move by the IBT is leaving the AFL-CIO, I believe this to be a wise move. Everyone will have there opinion on that point but only time will tell.

All unions have their "trash talk" and political views and are not perfect in anyway. For now the IBT is the lessor of the two evils. :)