UAL Maintenance & Related Will Vote on Union Representation

They followed the same poorly written IAM contract language that has licensed UAL Mechanics making floorboards for the unlicensed people that are now doing the work on our aircraft at Timco. The move, or "shakedown", as it''s called was a mess. They created openings and pigeonholed bodies into them. If you look at the bid list there are 30 people on it that WANT to be where I am. Same for the Jet Shop and all the others. People have been waiting for openings in those areas and weren''t allowed to get them.

I''ll eventually get out of here one way or another. I''ve never worked in an environment like this: quiet, warm, Monday through Friday, day shift, donuts and coffee in the morning, strawberry shortcake at first break, potlucks every Friday, call in DAT''s.

Jeeze, I''m gonna get fat back here.

kcabpilot

WOW, sounds like the IAM really screwed you.
$30 an hour to make floor boards in a back shop, indoors, warm, weekends off and I bet dayshift too. Man, forget the grievance, you should file a lawsuit!!!

I work with guys that have over 15 years with UAL and are working 6&2 RDO pattern on mids. They work outside in the dark, rain and we have to buy our own coffee...

stop complaining, enjoy your family while you still have a chance to see them on weekends...

----------------
On 5/25/2003 9:50:30 AM 1989 wrote:

kcabpilot

WOW, sounds like the IAM really screwed you.
$30 an hour to make floor boards in a back shop, indoors, warm, weekends off and I bet dayshift too. Man, forget the grievance, you should file a lawsuit!!!

I work with guys that have over 15 years with UAL and are working 6&2 RDO pattern on mids. They work outside in the dark, rain and we have to buy our own coffee...

stop complaining, enjoy your family while you still have a chance to see them on weekends...

----------------​
I think he''s complaining about losing that 1 license pay. He went from about $35 to $30 and now $28.60 or so. It''s true, there are people that would rather be where he works and there are people who don''t mind being out on the line on 6&2 midnights with more money. Oh well, those are the tradeoffs. I agree that the contract could use revising when it comes to layoffs. A lot of us are just now finding out that it''s done this way. Maybe the IAM should have an educational program to interpret the contract because the union book is not very clear, it doesn''t give you the whole picture, only half of it.

----------------

----------------​

Gosh, really? - like I''ve never done that eh...

My point is simply this. We should still be making $35/hr out in the rain and it''s these mindless retirement shop jobs that should have been farmed out.

But thanks to the IAM it''s all been turned around backwards.

----------------
On 5/24/2003 9:58:39 AM ual747mech wrote:

Bob Owens:

Are you guyz striking AA yet? Not!!! What ever happened to all that you were telling us before?

----------------

Well I voted No on the contract and Yes on the Strike vote that our Local conducted. I''m ready and willing but I dont think that the TWU is any more likely to allow us to fight than the IAM is going to allow you to fight. Its sad. All these general Unions care about is dues flow.

But then again, this aint over yet!

Time to get a Union that has Aviation as its primary Focus!​

----------------
On 5/25/2003 3:03:48 PM ual747mech wrote:

Maybe the IAM should have an educational program to interpret the contract because the union book is not very clear, it doesn''t give you the whole picture, only half of it.

----------------​
Enough said.

----------------
On 5/24/2003 11:01:20 AM kcabpilot wrote:

They followed the same poorly written IAM contract language that has licensed UAL Mechanics making floorboards for the unlicensed people that are now doing the work on our aircraft at Timco.

----------------​

You have hit on what I think is the major stumbling block for us, the ability for unlicensed mechanics to work on aircraft and/or components. Everyone holds up the pilots as the goal to strive for but very few realize that the reason they get what they get is that EVERY ONE of them is licensed. Why aren/t any of the unions, AMFA included, lobbying for this change? Why aren/t any of the unions attempting to organize these third party facilities? If you bring up their standard of living (increase their costs),it makes the airlines less likely to give them so much work.

Well I think it was our own airline managements that lobbyed to allow this in the first place. They also helped these third party facilities get started with funding, tooling and up front contracts. They will tell you that Timco is 25% cheaper than in house but they won''t tell you that Timco has never made a profit (look up TMAS).

And then there is United Services:

http://www.unitedsvcs.com/html/maint.html

another splinter corporation off of United funds with it''s own set of executive vice presidents and all their associated staffing that, for some reason, obviously hasn''t had the time to update it''s website in over THREE YEARS.

So far UAL''s business plan has been this: cut pay and lay off every Mechanic it possibly can.

That''s about it, unless I''m missing something.

----------------
On 5/26/2003 1:36:14 AM kcabpilot wrote:

----------------

----------------​

Gosh, really? - like I''ve never done that eh...

My point is simply this. We should still be making $35/hr out in the rain and it''s these mindless retirement shop jobs that should have been farmed out.

But thanks to the IAM it''s all been turned around backwards.

----------------​

Oh, I see. I didn''t get it.
You would rather have ALL the backshops farmed out so you could still be on the line making $35.
Wow, so, screw the every mechanic that works in a backshop, just FARM those jobs out, there not important as line mechanics.
You are the perfect example of why I''m not sure how to Vote. Most of the AMFA supporters are nothing but elitists.

"Screw everybody else, I just want mine"

That is why ANY and ALL Unions fail. Because of mechanics like you. We as mechanics don''t stick together. The Pilots do and they get what they want. We don''t. The mechanics I work with complain about why is the IAM allowing management to send people on Emergency Field Service (EFS) without regard to overtime hours. Why doesn''t the IAM stop them. They claim secret agreement that''s why.
Well, the truth is, if the mechanics would stick together and tell management.
"I''ll go on the EFS if you get to me on the overtime list" no instead they tell management. "Sure, I''ll go but don''t tell anybody" then management hopes nobody files a grievance.
As I see it. Management is doing what the do. LIE CHEAT LIE LIE, but it''s the mechanics that make it easier for them to do that.
Until all UAL mechanics stick together the company will and does run the show.
No matter IAM/AMFA/IBT/TWU

I think the IAM is finished, they have pissed off too many people for too long. But, when AMFA gets in. You''ll see, we mechanics will screw it all up. Nobody will complain, because they would have to admit we screwed ourselfs by changing unions, but inside we''ll all know...

we''ll know July 14, 2003 at 2pm

----------------
On 5/26/2003 11:13:46 AM 1989 wrote:

Oh, I see. I didn''t get it.
You would rather have ALL the backshops farmed out so you could still be on the line making $35.
Wow, so, screw the every mechanic that works in a backshop, just FARM those jobs out, there not important as line mechanics.....

We as mechanics don''t stick together.
----------------​

Well I wouldn''t paint it all with such a broad brush but there are clearly jobs like sewing carpet and seat cushions or glueing inserts into floorboards that don''t require licensed Mechanics. It''s not about "screwing" the people in the back shops, it''s about utilizing and paying licensed Mechanics to do the jobs that they have the skills to do. If anyone gets "screwed" it will be his or her seniority that will determine that. If they are unlicensed well, they can always GET them if they are interested in improving their lot in life.

As for Mechanics not sticking together: totally agree with that but I think it''s a matter of leadership and the IAM has done a poor, poor job.

AMFA may not be the answer but I think we need to at least give it a shot. The IAM has no credibility left. I mean, how much more of a beating do you need to take?

----------------
On 5/26/2003 11:51:50 AM kcabpilot wrote:

Well I wouldn''t paint it all with such a broad brush but there are clearly jobs like sewing carpet and seat cushions or glueing inserts into floorboards that don''t require licensed Mechanics. It''s not about "screwing" the people in the back shops, it''s about utilizing and paying licensed Mechanics to do the jobs that they have the skills to do. If anyone gets "screwed" it will be his or her seniority that will determine that. If they are unlicensed well, they can always GET them if they are interested in improving their lot in life.

----------------​
Wait a min here!! We do exactly that at AA. Its called "Overhaul Support Mechanic". Licensed mechanics work in the hanger doing Skilled work, and unlicensed people work in shops doing "Arts and Crafts" Instead of using $60000+ licenced mechanics to change seat cushions they use guys without licences and pay them 8.85 to 19.00. They also accrue pension years and get full benifits. But the amfa supporters hate this and constantly lobby management to farm this work out as they did at NWA.

kcabpilot,

You''re pretty funny!!!
You #### about how the iam ''pigeon'' holed you into a job.
Then you #### that ''your'' job should be farmed out.
What a self centered roid!!!
Thousands of mech''s on the street, and that is the best you
can come up with???

Welcome to SFO, I hope you had the opportunity to say
''Good Bye'', to the mech that you bumped into the street.
(He/She would probably put all fasteners in correct and not
#### about it!!!)
Get a little compassion, and get a grip of where we are.
Don''t blame union ''leadership'' for mech''s not sticking together.
There is enough backstabbing, and ''petty'' bitching going around
as it is.
IMHO,
UT

THE ROOTS OF UNIONISM WERE SOWN WAY BACK IN THE EARLY 1900''S WHEN A SMALL GROUP OF AVIATION AFICIONADOS TOOK THE TIME TO MODIFY THEIR BICYCLES INTO MOTORIZED "AIRCRAFT".THIS TASK TOOK MANY HOURS OF PERSONAL SACRIFICE AND COST THE DEDICATED A HUGE PERSONAL COST.AFTER MANY HOURS OF TOIL AND WORK,THE WRIGHT BROTHERS FINALLY REACHED THEIR GOAL OF POWERED FLIGHT.COMMENCING THAT DREARY DAY IN KITTY HAWK NORTH CAROLINA,THEY REVED UP THEIR NIMBLE AIRSHIP AND KNOCKED OVER THE HORSES AND CARRIAGES BEHIND THE GE CFM-5 ENGINE THAT LIFTED THEM UNTO THE LOFTY HEIGHTS THAT THEIR FLIGHT HAD DESTINED THEM TO.SOON AFTER CLIMBING OUT TO 25,000 FEET DID THEY REALISE THEIR CONTRIBUTION TO MANNED POWERED FLIGHT:THE UNIONISTS WOULD SOON BE BEATING THEIR DOOR DOWN FOR REPRESENTATION AND SHORTLY THERAFTER THE SAUDI''S WOULD BE LOOKING FOR CUSTOMERS.
GOD BLESS AMERICA

----------------
On 5/27/2003 11:33:43 PM UAL_TECH wrote:

kcabpilot,

You''re pretty funny!!!
You #### about how the iam ''pigeon'' holed you into a job.
Then you #### that ''your'' job should be farmed out.
What a self centered roid!!!

----------------​

Get a clue UT, my job WAS farmed out. That''s why we''re back here making carpet kits and floorboards to supply Timco.

----------------
On 5/28/2003 6:36:17 AM kcabpilot wrote:

Get a clue UT, my job WAS farmed out. That's why we're back here making carpet kits and floorboards to supply Timco.

----------------​

The reason you're there is because they closed Oakland. The reason they closed Oakland is because you didn't want to try to save the company from going bankrupt by voting down the recovery plan. I know you're going to say "the ATSB was going to turn us down anyway". If you knew we were going to get turned down, then you have a crystal ball like a lot of the ___ that post here. Like they say, hindsight is 20/20. Were you one the ___ that said full pay till the last day? Well it's not full pay anymore and you're still here? I agreee with UT, a lot of us mechs are me! me! me! me!

Btw, quit complaining already. Bid out as soon as you are able to if you don't like it there. If you can't wait then quit. Just be thankful you got a job.