UAL Maintenance & Related Will Vote on Union Representation

Why is it people who want to change unions are "blind with rage and anger"? Maybe the majority are just not happy with IAM leadership and want change.Its pointless to bring up
these arguments against AMFA if everyone was happy with the IAM there wouldnt be any controversy would there?Let a democratic vote happen and may the best union win even if
we dont have some peoples superior intellect to know whats good for us.The company-union days at UAL are over.

Getting rid of the IAM is probably like getting up in the
morning and finally getting relief from being constipated for a week.
Oh what a relief it will be when they are flushed down the sewer hole.
Sorry some of you dont like people getting rid of this old company
union,but change will be good.

----------------
On 6/16/2003 5:59:39 PM atabuy wrote:

----------------
On 6/16/2003 10:52:38 AM gatemech wrote:

----------------

On 6/16/2003 9:02:01 AM novaqt wrote:

I''m sorry you voted to change your union at this time. Unions, in general, are all about DUES and Grievances. Nothing more. Just because you have become disenchanted and blame the IAM for your woes is no reason to vote in a new union at this time when the company who has given you a job, is in bankruptcy. When United gets back on its feet and becomes profitable again, that is the time to change your union if you so desire. I do not understand individuals who are so blind-sided by their anger and rage that all common sense and intelligence goes out the window.

No union is perfect and that includes AMFA. If you think for one minute, they are any different from any other union, think again.

----------------​

Now is probably the best time to change unions. The contract we have now will stay in place for six years. In reality there should be labor peace. Don''t count on it. Anyway this will give AMFA six years to settle in and get ready for the next contract. That’s six years to pick apart and rewrite the IAM contract. During the six years USAir & American should be on board with AMFA. Now that is true power in numbers.

----------------​

I would have a hard time paying union dues to someone for 6 years without getting anything in return. What happens 7 years down the road if AMFA turns out to be a dog. The union dues will probably go up with AMFA also.
Seems like a lot of trust in a union who has done nothing up front but blow smoke.
Just my 2 cents worth.

----------------​

Well Jim I have a hard time paying any union dues. The fact is that AMFA can do no worse than the IAM. As far as 7 years down the road goes I think Sen. McCain will get his way and we will never vote on a contract again.

Anyone who attended the AMFA informational meeting in SFO on 6/11/03 saw the true colors of the IAM. IAM leaders arrived with their goon squad to interrupt the meeting by shouting belligerent insults at the AMFA officials and supporters. Many long time staunch IAM supporters were embarrassed by the IAM leadership who stood in the corner snickering while their hand picked thugs disrupted the meeting with their juvenile antics. The IAM proved to everyone present they are merely cowards and bullies without a shred of integrity or respect for their own dues paying members. It is disgusting to think the dedicated professional AMT's of UA have actually been paying these goons all these years for such incompetence.

atabuy,
Give it a rest.
You are beginning to sound desperate.
UT

----------------
On 6/16/2003 9:40:35 PM ualflynhi wrote:

Hey atabuy do you work for UAL ? Are you in management? Just wondering.

----------------​
ualflynhi,
Retired from Ual. Mechanic.

I don''t think this is as much about unions as it is about the company.
I don''t think any union could have done much better with the circumstances Ual was facing.
There is no history or facts to say AMFA will be any better than the IAM.

Look around at all the airlines and see that everyone wants to change unions.
No one is happy with what their union has done for them.

My point is, why pay higher union dues to a group who will do nothing for you for 6 years. The Iam has faults, but it would be a good time to make changes within the union you have.
Maybe change the bylaws to incorporate the same practices AMFA has.

You have 6 years to make these changes. Sit in on negotiations. Make good work rules that will benefit everyone.

I think the company needs to change also. Sometimes the ideas they have are stupid.
When I was younger, my attitude was something like yours. The ESOP changed my attitude. I thought if there was a chance to change the culture, it was then. The problem was, too many snakes hid under rocks until Greenwald left. Then it went back the same old ways as before.

It isn''t the unions who you need to change. It is getting St. Patrick to rid the company of the snakes so we can all work together as a team.
Some snakes went into union positions too, so that needs cleaning out.

Again, this is just my opinion, and what happens will not make a difference to me.
Between the union and the company, I made a nice living. It is never about what you make as much as it is about what you can save out of it.

Set your goals on retiring early, and starting your own business. Don''t be frustrated with thigs out of your control. You will be a lot happier.

Good luck to you all.

----------------

Now that is true power in numbers.

----------------​

In what way? The only way I can think that having all mechanics in one union would give us extra power would be if it were legal for all mechanics in the industry to walk out in sympathy if one carrier were to go on strike. I haven/t seen this ability in any contract, including AMFA''s.

----------------
On 6/17/2003 9:43:16 AM will fix for food wrote:

----------------

----------------​

In what way? The only way I can think that having all mechanics in one union would give us extra power would be if it were legal for all mechanics in the industry to walk out in sympathy if one carrier were to go on strike. I haven/t seen this ability in any contract, including AMFA''s.

----------------​

Look at the carpenters, plumbers, ironworker, boilermakers, etc. They have power being in the same union as each other. I think the whole concept would be to take your knowledge with you. Company seniority for shift and lay-off purposes. Pay for knowledge not seniority. Now I may not deserve top pay this would encourage learning to get to top pay, which in turn the airline gets top-notch mechanics. The problem with the whole idea is that it will never fly with the government. I feel all aircraft mechanics should be in the same union.

I hope y''all go to your Union meetings for the next several years to come. I''m going to find it pretty damned funny when all the IAM leaders become AMFA leaders.

AMFA @ INDY ?
YES!

AMFA will hold an informational meeting at INDY on Fri 27 June 2003
Holiday Inn Select
2501 S High School Rd
Lambert Room
12:00 - 5:00 PM

Got questions?
Get answers.

----------------
On 6/17/2003 9:43:16 AM will fix for food wrote:

----------------

----------------​

----------------​
I believe its in the RLA.

----------------
On 6/16/2003 11:13:19 PM DB Cooper wrote:

Anyone who attended the AMFA informational meeting in SFO on 6/11/03 saw the true colors of the IAM. IAM leaders arrived with their goon squad to interrupt the meeting by shouting belligerent insults at the AMFA officials and supporters. Many long time staunch IAM supporters were embarrassed by the IAM leadership who stood in the corner snickering while their hand picked thugs disrupted the meeting with their juvenile antics. The IAM proved to everyone present they are merely cowards and bullies without a shred of integrity or respect for their own dues paying members. It is disgusting to think the dedicated professional AMT's of UA have actually been paying these goons all these years for such incompetence.

----------------​
Were they the same guys that were spreading fear a short while back?