Unions ...would You Be Safe With Out It?

Teflon said:
There was a campaign as I worked on it, it was an election between the CWA and IAM and the CWA won the vote.

It was after the IAM was certified on the ramp.

I am curious as to why only the ramp was involved in the origional campaign for certification of the IAM. The PPG covered everyone. I believe that the classifications where only in place to save the company money.(training,uniforms?)
I can only imagine that Res. carried the vote and was involved in CWA representation at U.

Justaramper, you are wrong, I was fleet service at that time and US Air ramp was only teamsters at BOS, PHL, PIT and BUF, at PSA they were Teamsters at all stations.

There was no landmark case by the NMB, they ruled an election because of the numbers of fleet at Piedmont, and the union failed to get the 50%+1.

The fleet and customer service groups are ruled a seperate class and craft by the NMB that is why at the differant airlines for example

AA: fleet TWU, CSA:non-union
WN: Fleet TWU CSA: IAM
TWA both groups were IAM, organized at differant times and under two seperate contracts.

NWA both IAM, two differant contracts.

Teflon....Here is the case.....At the time of the USAir/PSA merger, there was a union on the property {IBT}..They voted because only 4 cities were Union on USAir and all cities were Union at PSA...The vote went in favor of a Union by only 4 votes, thus making USAir Fleet Service all Union....

Now comes the re-vote when Piedmont is bought...? But why...? The entire system for Fleet Service is Union...? It was a "landmark" case as it had never been done before...

We were "wined/dined" at Piedmont with the "square table" meetings and made promise after promise of nothing but company cooperation if we would vote this Union out...Ask a PSA employee for his promise....Uncle Ed sent them a quarter and a letter...

It was a very political job and done well by USAir, many people forget that USAir/PSA vote. Of course the IBT did a terrible job of trying to impress the Piedmont employees. They insulted many at meetings and acted like they were smarter than the rest. All USAir did was feed off there mistakes and point out how "crooked" they were.. Of course give an employee a $5/hour raise and they can be bought easily... No matter what a pro-union advocate said, it couldn't convince alot to reconsider there vote.

dell...I never said I was a trade unionist example....? I was just pointing out some facts from the past....Why the insults...?

REACC1, do you not comprehend? The Ramp at UAL has been IAM for years, Public Contact Employees (PCE) were just unionized in 99, differant class and craft, differant contracts.

The CSA and RES Agents at US Airways voted to join the CWA vs the IAM in the election, plain and simple democratic process.

Twicebaked said:
I saw this on the AFA website and thought it really painted a picture. Many of us may be unhappy with our union representation and the money that we pay, but this put it into perspective for me. Hopefully, this will be read by more people here.
Your post implies that the union person does have a voice and that is not true unless you accept your union representative as speaking on your behalf. How much of a voice will you have if you can't even vote on a strike or sympathizing on one? NONE. Because most unions are structured to tell the members what to do. And when the members decide against what most unions tell them then the union shelves elections and does new ones to make sure nobody is confused. Remember? There is no voice.

To answer your comparison question correctly you need to compare the non-union carriers with us. As far as mechanics go, the mechanics working at Delta are doing much better than us. Ramps at both Continental and Delta make significantly more than any IAM represented ramp employee and have better benefits. Productivity is much greater though that allows both of these airlines to cut cost while offering enhanced benefits.
Flight attendants at Delta are the highest paid in the industry although that may soon change because they don't have a voice.

That doesn't mean our company will be fair because it won't. A union is necessary at US AIRWAYS because the character of our company demands that we have a union and any employee without a union at US AIRWAYS is a fool.

That is because of two reasons, they want to keep the unions out and CO does not make more then us and second and most important they have EXECUTIVES who know how to run an airline. And funny how DL says they need paycuts now in order to survive.

Strike Facts comments:
Your post implies that the union person does have a voice and that is not true unless you accept your union representative as speaking on your behalf. How much of a voice will you have if you can't even vote on a strike or sympathizing on one? NONE. Because most unions are structured to tell the members what to do. And when the members decide against what most unions tell them then the union shelves elections and does new ones to make sure nobody is confused. Remember? There is no voice.

Wrong, wrong wrong again! AFA Members vote at an emergency meetings to vote on honoring pickets, just like in '92.

Who are you again, and what strike facts do you claim to know?

Teflon,
Yes, I comprehend. Do you? In out stations UAL employees bid their shift and where they work (CS or ramp) based on seniority. They are cross utilized. Only in the hubs and certain big cities are they departmentalized. Im talking about out stations with 40 flights or less per day.

strike facts said:
To answer your comparison question correctly you need to compare the non-union carriers with us. As far as mechanics go, the mechanics working at Delta are doing much better than us. Ramps at both Continental and Delta make significantly more than any IAM represented ramp employee and have better benefits. Productivity is much greater though that allows both of these airlines to cut cost while offering enhanced benefits.
Flight attendants at Delta are the highest paid in the industry although that may soon change because they don't have a voice.
Hey man wake up, the onle reason these peeps are paid so well is to keep union off the property! Not because there nice guys. Climb out of your delusional hole dude! Tell me you weren't fresh born out of the turnip patch?