US Airways Flight Attendants Outraged by Management Pay Increases

I agree. East is $247 million and West is $68 million.

That should have been the appropriate way to handle this with your boy providing what % of the $68 million would be the West f/as and provide the appropriate language for their profit sharing until a negotiated transition agreement is achieved.

Perhaps you are correct, but it doesn't take to much imagination to envision the following scenario:

1. Tempe makes it well known that they offered profit sharing for the West f/a's, but the East MEC rejected the idea.

2. Tempe then offers the West f/a's profit sharing equivalent to the total amount that would have been paid anyway.

3. Tempe generates good will toward the company while driving an iron wedge between East and West AFA.

Perhaps I'm just being cynical, but I can understand why East AFA made the call they did.

You do realize, PITbull, that you're getting into a whole can of worms....

By breaking the East & West profits apart, East has over a 10% profit margin - triggering the 15% of profits over a 10% margin language. Which would have the effect of increasing the size of the pot.....

Jim

Stop throwing these east/west numbers around....without west, there would likely be no US East...everyone in the investment and aviation community is well aware of that fact, get over the division and grow up.

Perhaps you are correct, but it doesn't take to much imagination to envision the following scenario:

1. Tempe makes it well known that they offered profit sharing for the West f/a's, but the East MEC rejected the idea.

2. Tempe then offers the West f/a's profit sharing equivalent to the total amount that would have been paid anyway.

3. Tempe generates good will toward the company while driving an iron wedge between East and West AFA.

Perhaps I'm just being cynical, but I can understand why East AFA made the call they did.

E X A C T L Y.

Post of the day.

The folks at West have the good fortune of working for the company that bought East. And they're reaping the rewards (or spoils).

Y'know, the thread title gave me deja' vu - how many times have we read about some labor group being offended about taking concessions to pay for management bonuses?

Uhhh, doing the same thing and expecting different outcomes is the classic definition of insanity.

For the love of God, if you aren't going to DO anything different, at least hush up and quit embarrassing yourselves in public.

And to the East F/A's - you had the best labor negotiator in aviation. For the ones who had a hand in her ousting, you've got what's coming to you.

I don't believe you are correct. Doug should have never put East in that situation or any group. The operation is separate and AWA still has amendable contracts that YOUR management has suspended for discussion.

E X A C T L Y.

Post of the day.

The folks at West have the good fortune of working for the company that bought East. And they're reaping the rewards (or spoils).

I think if you keep repeating that over and over again, you may just start to believe it.

AWA didn't have enough money to get them to Sept 2005; let alone buy USAirways.

I think you better go through the court and POR. Its investor money; not AWA. They only kept their managment and got rid of most of U's senior management.

You do realize, PITbull, that you're getting into a whole can of worms....

By breaking the East & West profits apart, East has over a 10% profit margin - triggering the 15% of profits over a 10% margin language. Which would have the effect of increasing the size of the pot.....

Jim

Jim.

We are talking 3,000 more f/as bringing in their W-2, thats about adding 60% more f/as with only $68 million more to add in. When I left U in Dec., there were only approx 4,700 f/as in the East. There have been retirements since then, quits, and another VFLR of about 168.

(LOL...i just got what you posted).

PITbull,

Sorry - didn't mean to imply that the pot would increase enough to offset the effect of both sides getting the profit sharing. Only that the total pot would be bigger than it currently is. Using the non-GAAP numbers, looks like about $2 million extra.

Jim

:lol: I was typing this when you "got" it....

Well, I was just recalled and I won't be getting much, probably just a bill for the cost of accounting to calculate my share. LOL. Kidding.

I do not like the idea of breaking it apart East/West, we are one company now and to move forward we have to stop the us/them attitudes.

It was very nice that the East shared the profit sharing with the West, but it should have been handled differently so that everybody gained. Not just take from one group to give to another.

Part of me wants to say "I tought you guys (& gals) had a contract". What are you complaining about?

I do feel that all employees should get a profit sharing. Which leads me back to "Why isn't it in the contract?"

The lower rungs of mgmt have no union to protect them from a wage decrease. The pay can be adjusted more quickly . . . apparently, up or down.

Needling aside, all the employees should share in the profits.

As i look at these posts i notice that all the people that are crying are union people. Where are the non union people at? i know both the east and west have them.

Maybe you dont hear from them because they are happy. i am non union. i make a good salary, get my vacation time and then some, sick time and i will get a raise this year, if the company was not doing good i would understand that i probably would not have recieved one.

Maybe unions are not as good as people they represent think they are. maybe you would be better off without them. your unions hype everything up promise you stuff they know they cant deliver get the membership all fired up and then blame everyone else for their failures.

I am non union and never plan to be in one. I am also not part of management but my goal is to get into management.
I do not need a union to tell me how much i am worth, i know how much of a salary i should make and if i think i am not making enough i look for a new job.

You all really need to seriously look at your positions and think. The days of your high salaries are over they are not coming back.Executives are going to cash out stock options no matter what industry you are in so get over it.
If you are really sick of the company you work for like i read on these posts then leave the company and that excuse everyone uses of sacrafice is getting old. Leave there are other jobs out there some might even pay more than you are making.

As i look at these posts i notice that all the people that are crying are union people. Where are the non union people at? i know both the east and west have them.

Maybe you dont hear from them because they are happy. i am non union. i make a good salary, get my vacation time and then some, sick time and i will get a raise this year, if the company was not doing good i would understand that i probably would not have recieved one.

Maybe unions are not as good as people they represent think they are. maybe you would be better off without them. your unions hype everything up promise you stuff they know they cant deliver get the membership all fired up and then blame everyone else for their failures.

I am non union and never plan to be in one. I am also not part of management but my goal is to get into management.
I do not need a union to tell me how much i am worth, i know how much of a salary i should make and if i think i am not making enough i look for a new job.

You all really need to seriously look at your positions and think. The days of your high salaries are over they are not coming back.Executives are going to cash out stock options no matter what industry you are in so get over it.
If you are really sick of the company you work for like i read on these posts then leave the company and that excuse everyone uses of sacrafice is getting old. Leave there are other jobs out there some might even pay more than you are making.
EXACTLY!!!

Union contracts are just that. Contracts. You chose them and you chose to stay employed under one. Good, bad, abrogated, whatever. Fight/negotiate for a better one when you can.

Non union employees are not guaranteed anything. I believe that I and my coworkers, deserve this upcoming pay raise. Non union doesn't necessarily equate to management as many define it. Many of us that are non union are at some level between the union employees and management and not really management. We are workers just like the union employees. And in the west, these raises come later and later each year so it's not really a yearly raise after all. It's more like 16-18 months between raises.

And it's totally true. No one had any idea if we were going to be awarded any pay increase this year. It sure didn't look like it for quite a while.

I guess I don't understand why "union" employees are so bitter towards "non union" employees. Some of us were union before and chose to move into a non union position. And not necessarily to get out of the union but because of career path choice.

Let's all just be happy that we are still were we choose to be and reap the rewards that we can right now and strive for more.

I guess I don't understand why "union" employees are so bitter towards "non union" employees.
Let's all just be happy.....

I don't think that the union employees are bitter towards non union employees, as they are disappointed and pissed that management is gorging themselves at the stock option and bonus trough, and offering raises to non contract people, (who never took massive pay cuts in the first place) after they (at least on the E) have taken massive cuts in pay and benefits that essentially enabled management's new success. While out of the other side of Doug Parker's mouth, he is saying the contract employees have to remain cost neutral (read concessionary to the W, and/or remain post Ch 11 rates to the E). Not that I can blame Parker for going for the bucks and "balancing his portfolio," and giving out pay raises to everyone else, but the timing was extremely bad, and will come back to haunt him in transition talks with the unions.

The bottom line is this, and it's really quite simple: If the non union employees aren't going to be "cost neutral" after this merger, and clearly management isn't, you'd have to be an idiot to think the contract workers are going to sit still while the new multi-millionaire management tells them they're not going to get anything. Doesn't seem hard for me to understand at all.