United Names Kathryn Mikells CFO; Jake Brace to Retire Nov. 1

UALIADCS

Oct 17, 2005
Kathryn Mikells will be named SVP and CFO, succeeding Jake Brace, EVP and CFO, who is retiring November 1.

In her new position, Kathy, who has held several leadership roles in the finance organization, will be responsible for treasury, tax, the controller function, budgets, financial planning and analysis, accounting, external financial reporting and, for administrative purposes, internal audit. She also will be responsible for mergers and acquisitions, fleet planning, corporate development and investor relations.

Jake has served since 2001 as CFO, as well as in the role of chief restructuring officer, leading our $23 billion restructuring. Since joining United in 1988, Jake has held several leadership positions, including VP-Corporate Development, VP-Financial Analysis and controller, and SVP-Finance. Prior to joining United, Jake also held leadership positions with American Airlines. He will continue to serve in an advisory role to Glenn Tilton and our board of directors.

Reporting to Kathy will be SVP-Corporate Planning and Strategy Greg Taylor, VP and Controller Dave Wing, VP and Treasurer Stephen Lieberman and, for administrative purposes, General Auditor Ed Rogowski. The enterprise optimization and continuous improvement organizations, as well as the division business directors, also report to Greg and ultimately roll up to Kathy.

Reporting to EVP and Chief Administrative Officer Pete McDonald will be SVP-Strategic Sourcing and Chief Procurement Officer Grace Puma, VP-Corporate Real Estate Ajay Singh, and managing director of Strategic Sourcing-Fuel Bob Sturtz, who is responsible for fuel procurement.

"Jake has brought significant capability to the role of CFO, combining strong business acumen, a solid financial background and critical thinking at a time when the company was going through a complex restructuring," said Glenn. "We thank Jake for his unwavering commitment to United and for leading the work that enabled this company to restructure and compete in a challenging competitive environment. We wish him well in the next phase of his career. Kathryn is a demonstrated leader who successfully managed critical departments within the finance organization. She is well suited and well prepared to take on the role of chief financial officer."

Kathy most recently served as VP-Investor Relations, representing United to the business and financial analyst community, and working closely with investors. Prior to that, Kathy held the role of VP-Financial Planning and Analysis, responsible for business development and analytical support for business decisions and financial planning, including overseeing the company's operating and capital budgeting functions. She was previously VP and treasurer, where she was responsible for our treasury department, including corporate finance, risk management, cash management, insurance and corporate tax.

"I have worked with Kathy for more than 10 years, and this is a role that she has prepared for, worked hard for, and that is well deserved," Jake said.

Kathy joined United in 1994 as a financial analyst. She has held several leadership positions, including VP-Corporate Real Estate, director-Corporate Planning, managing director-United NetVentures, CFO-Mileage Plus, director-Financial Analysis, and manager-Operating Budgets and Treasury.

Prior to joining United, Kathy spent six years in the financial services sector, including positions at GE Capital's Corporate Finance Group, Household International and Canadian Imperial Bank. She holds an MBA from the University of Chicago and a BS degree in finance from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

In her new role, Kathy will report to Glenn and will continue to be based at our corporate headquarters in Chicago. Contact: Marie Reinke - HDQPR - Unitel 997-8182

News Archive

Jake will certainly not be missed. I wonder if he actually decided to "retire" or if this was the least worst option for him. It is possible that he was given an ultimatum by the folks controlling the money. All I can say is that there is alot going on behind the scenes right now at UAL, and what you see in the media and press reports is being carefully rationed.

IMO you will see many more management changes to come in the upper ranks. (Possibly even the CEO. ;) )

Jake will certainly not be missed. I wonder if he actually decided to "retire" or if this was the least worst option for him. It is possible that he was given an ultimatum by the folks controlling the money. All I can say is that there is alot going on behind the scenes right now at UAL, and what you see in the media and press reports is being carefully rationed.

IMO you will see many more management changes to come in the upper ranks. (Possibly even the CEO. ;) )

767, what do you think is going on? Finally so messed up that drastic change is inevitable? Or maybe Tilton is making changes to save his own tail? Or...? Do you think CAL is on the horizon this fall?

All I can say is I read the headline and said "YYYYYYEEEESSSSSSSSSSS" !!!!!!!!!

........and oil is down to $111. Not a bad Friday. Not bad at all.

767, what do you think is going on? Finally so messed up that drastic change is inevitable? Or maybe Tilton is making changes to save his own tail? Or...? Do you think CAL is on the horizon this fall?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What pieces do you think CAL will want and what will be divied up amongst the other surviving carriers??

I wonder if LCC will hire any alpa pilots to crew the purchased routes??

Hmmmm.......just pondering.......

Hmmm... looks like the USAir/USAPA players are bored with their drama and hoping to stir the pot here a bit.

:lol:

Hard to say. Tilton could be making changes to save his tail, hoping he might keep a position in the background in the event of a merger with Continental. But I think there is alot of pressure being brought to bear on him to step down by certain key investors. The BOD will never vote him out, so the pressure needs to come from the outside.

Of course the easiest way for him to leave and save face is for CO to revisit the merger scenario. Remember that when the merger plans between UA and CO were scuttled, and then the same for the backup plan with US, oil was on the rise. And the main reason people stepped away (contrary to what's said on internet message boards) was that fuel prices made the transaction cost prohibitive. Mergers have large upfront costs before any savings is realized. With oil pushing $150/barrel, the name of the game was liquidity, survival, and reductions. Now oil is on it's way back toward the $100 mark and maybe below, and this is "game changing."

At this point nothing would surprise me. But IMO it's safe to say that Tilton's days are numbered, and a merger with CO is a definite possibility later down the road in '09. I've even heard some names thrown around for a new CEO as some former CO talent that helped with their turn around years ago.

Proper management and an improvement in employee/management relations, with the resulting boost in morale would turn this place around very quickly. We shall see...

Wow! Only about 10 years too late!!!! It is more than "about time" that Brace was sent packing. I wonder if this might not be at least semi-related to the pilots recent calls for Tilton's ouster. Maybe Brace is being sacrificed to try to appease the pilots, and maybe Wall Street, since he is viewed as being just as incompetent as Tilton. I'm just surprised by the move because Tilton seems to suffer from near George W. Bush-esque blind loyalty.

So this is definately a positive move for UA. Unfortunately, it still leaves the elitist, incompetent gas-bag Tilton running the show.

It's time for the BOD to "triangulate their core competencies in order leverage the synergies necessary to promote the good work needed" to find a new CEO!!!! :up:

As for Jake Brace............may the bird of happiness crap on your window!!!