United to charge for checking single bag

Man, I thought AA would be alone in this stupidity. I figured since nobody else was signing up, this fee would go away. Oh well.

I pity the poor CSRs and FAs who have to deal with this now. Gigantic bags in the cabin as "carry ons" and arguments at the gate over checking a bag and the fee. This will be fun.

Also, do non-revs pay the $15?

This fee is just insanity and will only push for more government intervention.

From a revenue side, I don't see how this is going to help the overall operation. CSR's, FA's, & Ramp are going to be working a small nightmare for each departure. Flights will be delayed further, and for what? $15? Seems like they are grabbing for pennies whilst the complications will cost dollars.

Seems like they are grabbing for pennies whilst the complications will cost dollars.
Actually, from a revenue point of view this makes more sense than charging for just the second bag. Most people would pack lighter to avoid the second checked bag. But due to security limitations, most people except the really seasoned traveler need to check at least one bag. Many do not have the "carry on only" option. Especially people traveling with kids/strollers/car seats. So this will certainly raise more revenue.

It will also have the effect of saving fuel, since passengers will pack less to avoid the overweight charges which have also gone up, and the second bag charge. Every 1000 pounds of weight saved per flight adds up to significant fuel savings.

No, a family of 4 will try to jam everything into their 8 pieces of carryon. The overhead bins will get stuffed immediately. We'll have to gate check everything. Plane will get delayed. Flight attendants won't help tag bags because.....we don't tag bags. CS will blame delay on inflight.

Late planes, no extra $$, pissed off passengers and crews........this stinks.

The Bozo Beancounters that came up with this fee never get on a plane. It is just another way to piss off the casual traveler when they are arguing over the bags they can carry on or have to pay extra for. It also will piss off the elites when the plane is delayed to deal with all the carry ons that don't fit in the cabin.