1,700 layoffs announced

Why don't we just stop serving anything in coach. That would save money for the company right there. No sodas, coffee, tea, water, alcohol, or snacks for the company to buy, only to give away for free. A customer buys a ticket from point a to point b, and that's all they are entitled to, a ticket from point a to b. If they want or think they are entitled to more, they can by a first class ticket. I do believe that their mind will change in a hurry once the first class ticket is quoted to them. In return they should be allowed to bring more than just terminal food on the plane. Or if that is a security issue, then make sure that all airport vendors sells their goods at the same prices that you can purchase them for away from the airport.

The point of this exercise is to raise revenue. Not having anything to serve (and therefore, sell) in coach would be pointless.

The point of this exercise is to raise revenue. Not having anything to serve (and therefore, sell) in coach would be pointless.
U are so very right....
they do that on the bus.... and on the train....
they buy a ticket.... a specific destination...
a to b....
does not include soda.... pillow...blanket...just a seat.... and a safe arrival....
EOM :up:

Southwest has only so many planes with so many seats. If they want to underprice US Airways then let them. Just charge a fair fare and the market will work itself out. However, trying to go mano y mano with Southwest is a losing strategy because of their fuel hedges and efficiency.
Amen!

Not to mention Southwest has a better CEO, better product, better routes, happy employees who enjoy a profit sharing check, a single contract, better prices, better planes, better culture...

You get my drift.

Back to the layoffs......I sure hope that the company offers the f/a's on the east a VF longer than three months as I'm hearing rumored. So you leave and come back by oh say December? Ummmmm we will be SO overstaffed at that point. Ok maybe not on Christmas (good luck finding workers) but January for certain. They need to offer a VF from maybe Sept. 1st or 2nd to around April 1st. Do the right thing the FIRST time and be done with it.

For FA's I've heard that the VF will be offered on a month to month basis and not in blocks. My source is pretty reliable. It's possible that they may do it completely differently for the east. I also heard they will everyone back by Dec.

I guess will know more come Aug. and Sept.

Here's what should be done....

RAISE THE FARES!!!!!

All airlines will follow suit if even one airline starts this. THEY ARE ALL DESPARATE, AND EVERYONE IS IN THE SAME BOAT!!!

May I repeat....

RAISE THE FARES!!!

Otherwise, anything short of this.... will be a slow bleed to DEATH!

Same old story just a different day:

The carrier will cut staff levels by 1,700 jobs companywide. Affected employees will include roughly 300 pilots, 400 flight attendants, 800 airport employees and 200 staff and management personnel. The airline didn't specify the number of jobs to be cut in Charlotte, where US Airways has about 5,500 employees.

There are so many questions one could ask of the USA management…OK here are a few of those plus a few that are not questions just suggestions:

1. I thought USA had hedged some of their fuel….?

2. Since things are so bad...why don’t Doug and Scott take a pay cut?

3. Why isn’t there a vote of “No confidence†being taken against DP and his management team by the employees? (Get the news in on it)

4. You need to find out if the rumors about FA’s :rant: and Top level Management are true and if they are you need to leak it to the press.
This isn’t their own little harem…they are acting like boys in a candy store. :down:

5. You need to send those FA’s to Coventry. (silence)

6. You need to start showing your outrage. You need to come together as a work force…if only to get DP and his team out.

7. YOU NEED TO GET PISSED OFF!!!!!!

8. Bad management is NOT rewarded.

You need to send a message to ALL those that want to play house with DP and his band of thugs that it is not going to be tolerated and that goes for BAD MANAGEMENT also.

Go out there and kick some Butt…after all “if you just sit on the sofa and wait for someone to get you some satisfaction…well you are just going to shrivel up and blow away†and that is what this management team wants you to do…MAKE them answer for their decisions. Make that stuff that hit the fan…that they are always throwing at you…fly back into their faces. Stand up and be ONE. :up:

Not to mention Southwest has a better CEO, better product, better routes, happy employees who enjoy a profit sharing check, a single contract, better prices, better planes, better culture...

Woudln't it be nice to merge with WN? They care about their employees, and run the airline in a profitable fashion. And if you think about it, all our cutbacks are just more business for them anyway. Might as well make it complete with labor.

Woudln't it be nice to merge with WN? They care about their employees, and run the airline in a profitable fashion. And if you think about it, all our cutbacks are just more business for them anyway. Might as well make it complete with labor.
Heck, US used to spill so many passengers on transcons SWA set up transcons of their own departing twenty to thirty minutes after US flights, just to supplement their loads. It was all gravy for them. Truly their success is owed to US.

I've got a question for the group. I knew how this worked pre-merger, sort of, but don't post-merger -- especially as it relates to the combining of the airport customer service work forces into one unit East/West.

With the layoffs coming primarily at LAS, how does seniority bumping work now within airport customer service? Can it trickle down to both East and West stations? Or, is it bound within the old HP work group? Or did HP even allow that sort of thing like East did?

I admit I'm not completely up to speed on the status of contract negotiations within that employee group.

Thanks for your help.

I've got a question for the group. I knew how this worked pre-merger, sort of, but don't post-merger -- especially as it relates to the combining of the airport customer service work forces into one unit East/West.

With the layoffs coming primarily at LAS, how does seniority bumping work now within airport customer service? Can it trickle down to both East and West stations? Or, is it bound within the old HP work group? Or did HP even allow that sort of thing like East did?

I admit I'm not completely up to speed on the status of contract negotiations within that employee group.

Thanks for your help.

Being that customer service has a single contract and the work group is fully intergrated, when furloughs begin, the agents in LAS will be offered openings in other station that have vacancies. The bumping won't begin until that station has a scedule change/new bid and then let the animosity begin

Latest posts