United Tries To Get A Leg Up On American

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
FULL STORY HERE

United Airlines Inc.'s latest advertising campaign kicks rival American Airlines Inc. in the shins, but American isn't taking it sitting down.

American is wasting no time striking back.

"We are puzzled why United Airlines is spending an estimated $15 million to $20 million to advertise a product that nearly three out of four customers can't fit in," said American spokesman Tim Wagner.

FULL STORY HERE

you can not argue that the product offered by UA for business tvls.is superior to AAs from ORD. Who wouldnt want the schedule, more personal space, newer a/c, ammenities, and RJ f/c seating-wnen paying a premium-
The S80 invation to ORD-has us banking on loads vs yeild-the "leg up" we did gain with MRTC will help keep some but not all FF milage junkies loyal to AA-
curious to see how this plays out-the ORD battle of UA ans AA is always something to watch..

FA Mikey said:
"We are puzzled why United Airlines is spending an estimated $15 million to $20 million to advertise a product that nearly three out of four customers can't fit in," said American spokesman Tim Wagner.

I'm "puzzled" as to what he's talking about. "nearly 3 out of 4 customers can't fit in" ? What? The seat? Yes, it's true American's have gotten fatter but 3 out of 4?
I don't get it. :blink:

Besides, if that's so it makes AA's newly downgraded product even worse doesn't it? :down:

laura62 said:
I'm "puzzled" as to what he's talking about. "nearly 3 out of 4 customers can't fit in" ? What? The seat? Yes, it's true American's have gotten fatter but 3 out of 4?
I don't get it. :blink:
[post="259183"][/post]​

UAL's expanded legroom is only available in the first few rows of the coach cabin. The remaining 75% of the cabin has less legroom.

It's misleading at best.

Former ModerAAtor said:
UAL's expanded legroom is only available in the first few rows of the coach cabin. The remaining 75% of the cabin has less legroom.

It's misleading at best.
[post="259188"][/post]​

United always advertised Economy Plus as an enhancement to its economy cabin. They never said it was the whole economy cabin. That is why it is called Economy Plus. There is also an economy part of the cabin. There is one plane model with about 30% of its seats in the Plus configuration. The majority of aircraft, the ratio is more like 40%. And there are some plane models that have not been converted yet. I don't know if they will ever be. If you fly United you can find out which plane model was not converted, by asking or looking up.
American was the one that retaliated by turning their economy all "plus". I remember AA advertising, not long ago, directed at United that they had "more leg room" in the whole airplane. Maybe to point out that United didn't, only the Plus section.
Now AA goes back to its old configuration and wants United to do the same?
I don't know if United will change it or not, or if it is good finacially, but the Frequent Flyers sure love it.