******major Announcement*******

Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
American Airlines Removes MD-80 Pillows
11/17/2004 8:26:00 AM

FORT WORTH, Texas, Nov 17, 2004 (AP Online via COMTEX) -- Say goodbye to pillows on American Airlines MD-80 jets.

CBS MARKETWATCH TOP NEWS
U.S. stocks to open higher on Kmart-Sears merger
Sears, Kmart set $11 billion retailing merger
U.S. Oct. CPI up 0.6%, core up 0.2%
Euro hits record high vs. dollar ahead of G-20
Chicago Climate Exchange bears fruit in Europe

TRACK THESE TOPICS
My Portfolio Alerts
Company: Northwest Airls Inc Add
Create
Company: AMR Corporation Add
Create
Get Breaking News sent directly to your inbox
Create A Portfolio | Create An Alert
The Fort Worth-based airline this week removed pillows from its 334 MD-80s in a move expected to save time and money by enabling workers to clean the cabins faster, said spokesman Tim Wagner.

"It will streamline our cabin service," he said.

Since crews won't be spending time picking up pillows, they should be able to make cabins cleaner, Wagner told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram for a story in Wednesday's editions.

Wagner estimated the airline would be saving "in the mid-six figures" because of the move.

The pillows will be relocated to its other planes, Wagner said. The airline doesn't plan to remove pillows on other aircraft.

MD-80 passengers should be able to use the adjustable headrests in place of the pillows, he said.

American has 704 planes. The MD-80s are used for shorter slights and are assigned to its hubs at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport and O'Hare Airport in Chicago.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press, All rights reserved

Were the pillows removed with union labor or did they use management scabs?

Rob said:
Were the pillows removed with union labor or did they use management scabs?
[post="201640"][/post]​

Were the cabins cleaned with union labor?

The question from management seems to be why are the cabins dirty?

If the company would focus on ensuring that the sidewalls, overhead bins and ceiling panels were clean coming out of heavy maintenance, that would be a start.

Buck said:
Were the cabins cleaned with union labor?

The question from management seems to be why are the cabins dirty?

If the company would focus on ensuring that the sidewalls, overhead bins and ceiling panels were clean coming out of heavy maintenance, that would be a start.
[post="201685"][/post]​

The cabins cleaned overnight in SAN are cleaned by scabs. The twu gave the job of RON cabin cleaners away within the blink of an eye. The ramp and day shift cabin cleaners just go about their day as if everything is fine.

It is only a matter of time before AA claims the fuel needed to fly these dirty cabins is hurting our bottom line. Perhaps when they take the pillows off the aircraft we will save fuel not carrying the extra weight! Hey! Pay raises for everyone! :up:

Ken MacTiernan said:
The cabins cleaned overnight in SAN are cleaned by scabs. The twu gave the job of RON cabin cleaners away within the blink of an eye. The ramp and day shift cabin cleaners just go about their day as if everything is fine.

It is only a matter of time before AA claims the fuel needed to fly these dirty cabins is hurting our bottom line. Perhaps when they take the pillows off the aircraft we will save fuel not carrying the extra weight! Hey! Pay raises for everyone! :up:
[post="201837"][/post]​

There won't be any pay raises Ken but hey look at the bright side in 2 years the only Mechanics at AA will be you line Mechanics us Overhaul guys will be unemployed or atleast we will not be working for AA anymore, you guys will be working for less pay and benefits than you are now but you will still be at AA and you will probably be able to get AMFA in at that time.

I am not crazy about the idea of having to look for another job but I will deal with it, sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you. ;)

Ken I wouldn't spend to much time worrying about what Overhaul in Tulsa is going to do as we won't be here too much longer. B) We will leave this Airline to you for what it is worth. ;)

Raptor said:
There won't be any pay raises Ken but hey look at the bright side in 2 years the only Mechanics at AA will be you line Mechanics us Overhaul guys will be unemployed or atleast we will not be working for AA anymore, you guys will be working for less pay and benefits than you are now but you will still be at AA and you will probably be able to get AMFA in at that time.

I am not crazy about the idea of having to look for another job but I will deal with it, sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you. ;)

Ken I wouldn't spend to much time worrying about what Overhaul in Tulsa is going to do as we won't be here too much longer. B) We will leave this Airline to you for what it is worth. ;)
[post="202008"][/post]​

Raptor, I do worry about Tulsa and MCI. These are stations that repair AA a/c and are manned with A&Ps. I also care about UAL and NWA & USAir AMTs as well as every AMT in our profession. Why? Because I should. As you should. Why are you so willing to accept a scenario that will not happen? The attitude you show is exactly what teamtwu counts on.

Listen, you said you would try for one year to rid the twu from our future. The fix was in at the NMB. Nothing has changed. The twu international officers are still not elected by the membership. The only supporters of the twu hide behind an alias. We are still under concessions. Raptor, if you agree that the twu is best for AA AMTs then why are we facing layoffs again? The twu gave concessions to save jobs. The twu will sacrifice the few to prevent from fighting for the many... always.

The twu is a cancer in our profession. Most people who realize they have cancer fight it. You can look for work outside of AA but you can also fight this cancer too.
Whichever you choose I wish you the best.

Ken MacTiernan said:
Raptor, I do worry about Tulsa and MCI. These are stations that repair AA a/c and are manned with A&Ps. I also care about UAL and NWA & USAir AMTs as well as every AMT in our profession. Why? Because I should. As you should. Why are you so willing to accept a scenario that will not happen? The attitude you show is exactly what teamtwu counts on.

Listen, you said you would try for one year to rid the twu from our future. The fix was in at the NMB. Nothing has changed. The twu international officers are still not elected by the membership. The only supporters of the twu hide behind an alias. We are still under concessions. Raptor, if you agree that the twu is best for AA AMTs then why are we facing layoffs again? The twu gave concessions to save jobs. The twu will sacrifice the few to prevent from fighting for the many... always.

The twu is a cancer in our profession. Most people who realize they have cancer fight it. You can look for work outside of AA but you can also fight this cancer too.
Whichever you choose I wish you the best.
[post="202098"][/post]​

Ken I am glad you are worring about our jobs down here but I really don't think we will be able to save them, that does not mean I won't fight AA with everything that I have as I have nothing to lose, I am not saying that the TWU is best for AA I am saying that right now I am concentrating on fighting the company and only the company that is more than enough on my plate, maybe some can handle more on their plate, and if they can more power to them, I would hate to see too many people concentrating to much on the TWU and then AA sneaks up on them and KOs them without us even getting in one punch :(
You can hate the TWU if you want but don't forget to hate AA also. ;)
As for me AA is at the top of my crap list by a long shot.
I really don't think I will be working at AA much longer and with what it has become I am really not to bothered by it.
One thing you line guys can be sure of if they do get rid of maintenance you won't have to worry about me bumping to any line station, I was born in Tulsa and I intend to stay here AA or not.
If AA ask's for another concession I for one am ready to strike if the majority vote to do so. ;)

Take care Ken I wish you the best as well. :)

Wish me luck on my Deer hunt this weekend :up: I allways get excited about this time of year.

Raptor said:
Ken I am glad you are worring about our jobs down here but I really don't think we will be able to save them, that does not mean I won't fight AA with everything that I have as I have nothing to lose, I am not saying that the TWU is best for AA I am saying that right now I am concentrating on fighting the company and only the company that is more than enough on my plate, maybe some can handle more on their plate, and if they can more power to them, I would hate to see too many people concentrating to much on the TWU and then AA sneaks up on them and KOs them without us even getting in one punch :(
You can hate the TWU if you want but don't forget to hate AA also. ;)
As for me AA is at the top of my crap list by a long shot.
I really don't think I will be working at AA much longer and with what it has become I am really not to bothered by it.
One thing you line guys can be sure of if they do get rid of maintenance you won't have to worry about me bumping to any line station, I was born in Tulsa and I intend to stay here AA or not.
If AA ask's for another concession I for one am ready to strike if the majority vote to do so. ;)

Take care Ken I wish you the best as well. :)

Wish me luck on my Deer hunt this weekend :up: I allways get excited about this time of year.
[post="202104"][/post]​
Removing Pillows:

Give Me a Break, Major Annoucement.. I don't think so.. At the line stations such as ORD, where I am located,Who Really Cares About Pillows>>>> Management layoffs, Were there really any????? Did the company lay off management... NO>>>> Did the company play another shell game?.... YES... Here is the company's layoff as far as management in AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE at Chicago O'Hare Aircraft Maintenance....
We had one supervisor retire, Bill Peterson, We have one supervisor going out on Medical, Jacquie Toscano, and we had one supervisor leave to go to American Eagle, Bill Walker, Therefore, WE DO NOT NEED TO LAY OFF ANY MANAGEMENT in Chicago... WE ARE EVEN..... DOES THIS SOUND FAMILIAR..You are blind if it does not........WAKE UP YOU TULSA MECHANICS.... >>>>>.... We are going to lay off mechanics systemwide.The company is continually protecting its Management...WHERE IS THE SHARED SACRIFCE???If you guys can't see we are continuing to be the sacrificial lambs get your heads out of your behinds....

The "Shared Sacrifice" was the furloughing of TWA mechanics only, there is your shared sacrifice.

Nightwatch said:
The "Shared Sacrifice" was the furloughing of TWA mechanics only, there is your shared sacrifice.
[post="202139"][/post]​

I wonder if the SHARED SACRIFICE will be the scabs when our union BROTHERS AND SISTERS try to shut down the airlines in support of AFA. Oh yes we will support them as much as our union AA BROTHERS AND SISTERS supported us.

Evil is allowed to grow when good people remain silent.

Workingman said:
I wonder if the SHARED SACRIFICE will be the scabs when our union BROTHERS AND SISTERS try to shut down the airlines in support of AFA. Oh yes we will support them as much as our union AA BROTHERS AND SISTERS supported us.
Evil is allowed to grow when good people remain silent.
[post="202143"][/post]​

What are your crying about? If you are referring to the seniority issue, you got binding arbitration and you got your full TWA seniority in your bases as per the ruling by the arbitrator.

Nightwatch said:
[post="202139"][/post]​

Incorrect statement. AA mechanics were also furloughed.

I am pointing to the fact that the recent furloughs at MCIE and STL are targeted at TWA mechanics and related. Are you telling me there are AA mechanics amongst those? AA is finally going to be able to rid itself of the older workforce, you know, the ones topped out in benefits and pay.

There is no shared anything with you all, the only saving grace is that once we are all furloughed/retired then the company can come after you. Your cushion is shrinking, your protectionary clause is not bullet proof, and you may be real close to experiencing your first furlough. You have absolutely no solidarity amongst your rank and file, the company has and will continue to walk all over you while you sit back and cry about the union's actions or lack thereof.

Wish you all the best of luck! :lol:

aafsc said:
What are your crying about? If you are referring to the seniority issue, you got binding arbitration and you got your full TWA seniority in your bases as per the ruling by the arbitrator.
[post="202149"][/post]​

I am talking about Carty and AA lying in court, you know the PA (if you flip on one in buying a home your down payment is gone). I am talking about the TWU not helping the laid off TWA mechanics. I am talking about our union BROTHERS AND SISTERS (ha ha) not telling their TWA union BROTHERS AND SISTERS that the company was hiring at one station while at the same time the company was still getting rid the TWA folks. I am talking about the company putting these new employees above the TWA people while our UNION BROTHERS AND SISTERS REMAINED SILENT. Do really believe that over 20,000 laid off TWA folks owe you anything? Do you really think all the laid off folks at all the other airlines owe those companies and unions anything? Then you really will never get it.

Workingman said:

I am talking about Carty and AA lying in court, you know the PA (if you flip on one in buying a home your down payment is gone). I am talking about the TWU not helping the laid off TWA mechanics. I am talking about our union BROTHERS AND SISTERS (ha ha) not telling their TWA union BROTHERS AND SISTERS that the company was hiring at one station while at the same time the company was still getting rid the TWA folks. I am talking about the company putting these new employees above the TWA people while our UNION BROTHERS AND SISTERS REMAINED SILENT. Do really believe that over 20,000 laid off TWA folks owe you anything? Do you really think all the laid off folks at all the other airlines owe those companies and unions anything? Then you really will never get it.
[post="202226"][/post]​

I suppose you TWAers would have been more than happy to displace every AAer that you could have!

Prior to 9/11 AMR was about the most financially strong carrier. We all know what happened afterwards. Do you think TWA would have survived on its own?

Be happy what you got.

Latest posts