Uplifting News Perhaps?

It's true that AA dumped the TW DC9s, 717s, and some 757s. That's around 80 airplanes. Let's not forget that AA dumped the remaining AA 727s (w/ 737 replacements deferred) and 70 plus F100s. AA has dumped more airplanes than TWA.

jsn25911 said:
Rusty - is the 19% increase in international flights due partly to the Stl International that went to the AA people when the TWA people were layed off. (changing the flights from TWA LLC to AA) Or is the 19% increase up and beyond that?

Also can anyone tell me if the additional 19% international flight increase is worked by thel AA f/a's or did foreign nationals get some of the flying?
AA stew

You have been rude, arrogant and now you are controlling - you don't want to acknowledge that TWA people are here to stay - live with it. You haven't heard the last of those three initials - TWA!

Now you state that TWA people can not mention TWA.

Above is the post that you so rudely changed to "you" vs "us". I was asking the question of how many of the TWA changed from TWA-LLC to AA - thinking that was part of the increase.

AAStew said:
JSN
You don't merit a reply, but regardless I will. You are the one who brought up TWA. If you don't like AA, and want to talk about TWA please go to Airlines of The Past or you can get a Singada vida!!!
Rusty - is the 19% increase in international flights due partly to the Stl International that went to the AA people when the TWA people were layed off. (changing the flights from TWA LLC to AA) Or is the 19% increase up and beyond that?

Also can anyone tell me if the additional 19% international flight increase is worked by thel AA f/a's or did foreign nationals get some of the flying? Posted by JSN

AA stew:

Rudness, arrogance, now the adjective " controlling" - all because you can not handle the fact that TWA is part of AA. Live with it!

Now you state that TWA people can not mention TWA.

Above is the post that you so rudely changed to "you" vs "us". I was asking the question of how many of the TWA changed from TWA-LLC to AA - thinking that was part of the increase

AAStew said:
As far as I know the ONLY international (if you want to call it that) route that belonged to TWA that we are flying is STL-SJU. TWA buyout was a bad move for AA. WSe are not profiting at the cost of TWA employess or assets but we are paying for it due to bad foresight on the part of Don Carty. I am sorry if this offends the TWA folks but we bought a lemon.
Here is the actual post that changed from asking a question about the 19% increase. It changed from that question to a debate of "you" vs "us".

Ifly2 said:
...you would have had to have had a very powerful crystal ball to see the last three years' carnage in this industry coming in 2000, when the deal was put together.
Hmmm...I guess I had one. Too bad PlaneBusiness isn't archived somewhere. ;)

mweiss said:
Hmmm...I guess I had one. Too bad PlaneBusiness isn't archived somewhere. ;)
Right! I remember clearly a whole lot of people predicting EXACTLY what would happen with the acquired, planes, routes, etc.
The crystal ball was "the past".

:D

From the Fort Worth Star-Telegram
---AIRTRAN WILL ADD ROUTE FROM DFW TO S. FLORIDA---
AirTran will broaden its expansion at Dallas/Fort Worth Airport later this
year with nonstop service to Fort Lauderdale. The city will be the fifth
destination AirTran has added since it acquired additional gates at the
airport. In the past year, AirTran had added nonstop flights from DFW to
Orlando, Las Vegas, Baltimore/Washington and Los Angeles, in addition to
routes to its hub in Atlanta.

From the Associated Press
---CRUDE OIL PRICES SOAR TO NEW RECORD HIGH---
Crude oil prices soared to a new record high above US$44 a barrel on
Tuesday after OPEC said it couldn't immediately boost production. The
rise in prices was also fueled by fears of terrorist attacks in the United
States, disruptions to Iraqi crude exports, and uncertainty over the fate
of Russian oil giant Yukos. Since June, oil prices have leapt to record
levels.

---MARKET NEWS---
On the New York Stock Exchange at 12:30 p.m. (ET),
AMR stock was at 8.15, down .11
DJ Transportation was down 1.95 at 3132.20
DJ Industrials were down 32.96 at 10146.20

Rusty Bullethole said:
American expands its world

Flights abroad a faster route to profit than battling discounters

11:42 AM CDT on Saturday, July 24, 2004

By ERIC TORBENSON / The Dallas Morning News

With low-cost carriers handing them their hats, the big traditional airlines are boosting their international routes.

Fort Worth-based American Airlines Inc. has expanded its international capacity nearly 19 percent during the first six months of the year, compared with the same period in 2003.

That's six times the rate that American added seats to its domestic schedule.

"I think our desire would be to continue to look for ways to grow our international presence," said Henry Joyner, senior vice president of planning at American.

"We're not going to grow it at the expense of our domestic operations, but our domestic flying is going to grow a lot slower," he said.

International revenue was the star of American's second-quarter earnings last week, as parent AMR Corp. turned a profit of $6 million.

Each global region showed big gains over last year in average fares, while domestic fares fell slightly. Full-fare passenger traffic rose 129 percent for American's Tokyo routes over the same time last year.

Currently, nearly 69 percent of American's schedule is for domestic flights, and 31 percent is international. (The carrier includes Canada as part of its U.S. schedule.)

American, like most traditional network carriers, faces low-fare competition on eight of every 10 domestic routes it flies.

With higher costs than discounters such as Southwest Airlines Co., American often loses money when it matches a low fare – in many cases taking only $299 for a one-way ticket that once went for more than $1,000.

The situation may get worse for traditional carriers, executives at Delta Air Lines Inc. and Continental Airlines Inc. warned last week when they reported quarterly results.

One reason is that discount airlines are growing faster and ordering new planes. Southwest, JetBlue Airways Corp., AirTran Airways Inc. and their low-cost cohorts are expected to double their fleets within four to five years.

That's good news for passengers, but not so good for the traditional carriers.

An opportunity

So far at least, U.S. discounters have treaded lightly on international routes. Dallas-based Southwest has no plans to expand beyond the continental United States.

Traditional airlines such as American see an opportunity. Although they haven't been able to raise domestic fares in an improving economy, they have had more success doing so on international routes. Industrywide, international revenue rose 9.5 percent in May over the same month last year across seat miles flown. A seat mile is equivalent to one seat flown one mile.

In contrast, domestic revenue per seat flown fell 2.1 percent in the same month.

The international figure presents an easier comparison because many overseas trips were canceled last year over the Iraq war and fears of severe acute respiratory syndrome.

Some wonder whether American will follow the model of its alliance partner, British Airways, in becoming a primarily international carrier.

"The network carriers have far fewer places to hide," said Robert Gordon, an economics professor at Northwestern University, at an April airline conference.

British Airways made a handsome profit of nearly $1 billion in the last 12 months despite stiff low-fare competition from carriers such as Ryanair that sell some tickets for less than $10.

By emphasizing international flights and keeping enough domestic traffic to feed those flights at hubs, financially strapped big carriers could improve their margins, Mr. Gordon said.

Struggling giant airlines such as American might want to think about changing their flight mix to avoid all-out brawls with low-cost carriers on transcontinental routes, said Ray Neidl, an analyst at Blaylock & Partners.

"I've always wondered why they don't do more of that and perhaps try to set up alliances with some of the low-cost guys," he said. "It doesn't make sense for them to keep throwing more capacity at low-cost carriers."

The revenue strength of international flights may help offset the weak domestic market for traditional carriers, Mr. Neidl said.

But American officials say it's unlikely the world's largest carrier will try to look like British Airways.

"I don't think you're going to get to see American transition into a carrier that is predominantly international," Mr. Joyner said.

About 70 percent of American's $14 billion in revenue comes from domestic routes, which the airline relies on to feed into its more lucrative international service.

Emphasis on Asia

The airline has been particularly focused on Asia, if only because the fast-growing region is the smallest part of its global network. American was unexpectedly shut out in the last round of air rights applications to China. The carrier will apply for rights to fly to Shanghai in 2005, and many analysts expect the effort will pay off this time.

"Given its growth in trade and its prospects for the future, China is an area we'll look at aggressively growing our own flying," Mr. Joyner said.

If granted, American's Shanghai service may fly from Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, Mr. Joyner said.

Chicago's O'Hare International Airport was thought to be American's first choice for flights to Shanghai. But rival United Airlines, which already serves China, is planning Chicago-Shanghai service.

"I think D/FW has a chance," said Joe Lopano, executive vice president of marketing and revenue management at the airport. Shanghai "would be a jewel for us."

American added a second daily flight to Tokyo's Narita International Airport, which shows D/FW has the strength to support Asian routes, Mr. Lopano said. Plus, local traffic through the airport has already exceeded levels before 9-11, he said.

The airline already serves 33 foreign destinations – including cities in Canada – from D/FW and could increase that easily with its gate space in Terminal D, which will open next year.

American should hear from U.S. Department of Transportation officials later this year on whether it can fly to China.

"We think we'll be the best choice," Mr. Joyner said.

The carrier has also added flights to Latin America that have been dropped by competitors, Mr. Joyner said. Its new Buenos Aires service, launched last fall, is "off to a terrific start," he said.

As American and others scout the globe for international routes, they're also spending money on the in-flight service for business- and first-class passengers.

This month, American upgraded amenity kits with spa products. United Airlines made a similar move a week later. American may also invest in new seats to appeal to high-dollar international travelers.

All this contrasts sharply with the airline industry's approach to domestic service, where the free meals that passengers long took for granted have practically disappeared.

"We feel fairly comfortable with our in-flight offerings going forward," Mr. Joyner said of American's international service. "It's an extremely competitive market."

E-mail [email protected]
WOW, I can't believe it took 2+ pages, to get to the "point", of the original post !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I love when someone posts a good topic, that leads right into my favorite AA subject)

(drum roll please)

"Robert L. (uncle Bobby) Crandall"

(Yup, the same SOB that was always "OUR SOB")

RLC told Wall Street, dam* near 10 years ago that AA would be better served flying International, transcon, and hub to hub ONLY.

He stated publicly that he could'nt/would'nt be bothered chasing "domestic nickles + dimes" (My words).

Well lo and behold, here we are almost a decade after his prediction, doing what he (RLC) advocated. -------- AND, doing it with "uncle Bobby's" hand picked protege, Gerard Arpey !!!

Love him, or hate him, we will ALL go to our graves, BEFORE we see another US commercial airline CEO like "UNCLE BOBBY" !!!!!!

NH/BB's
RETIRED(Thank GOD)

AAStew said:
:p :D B)
Yep, that's what we are a bunch of fruits!!! Some of us more than others.

JSN, yes we do have all those rights to fly into those cities, but apparently AA felt they weren't profitable enough to keep flying them. Please don't be so angry, I really meant it when I said this wasn't meant to offend anyone, but it really was a bad, awful, debilitating business decision for AA.
And BTW, yes I am a joy to work with, I have a great attitude, I get along with everyone , I like my passengers and appreciate them, and I like what I do! If I left anything out, please feel fre to fill in those compliments in too!
Don't be such a sour apple!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hind sight is always 20/20

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
NH/BB's
RETIRED(Thank GOD)
I will be joining you after I get my 777 payout! :up:

I can't wait until I don't have to work for this Sky NAAzi airline anymore. If they gave me my 777 payout today, I would be gone at this very moment.

LiveInAHotel said:
I will be joining you after I get my 777 payout! :up:

I can't wait until I don't have to work for this Sky NAAzi airline anymore. If they gave me my 777 payout today, I would be gone at this very moment.
Do you think many people will be leaving after the payout LIAH?

SkyLiner said:
Do you think many people will be leaving after the payout LIAH?
It's hard to say, but I would guess yes. I have been here for almost 27 years. I started flying at the age of 21 and it will be nice to retire before 50. This career has changed 110% for the worst over the past 3 years and it's not going to ever be the same again.

LiveInAHotel said:
It's hard to say, but I would guess yes. I have been here for almost 27 years. I started flying at the age of 21 and it will be nice to retire before 50. This career has changed 110% for the worst over the past 3 years and it's not going to ever be the same again.
Yeah it sucks...the world, this country everything has changed. Hopefully "Help is on the way!"