Us Airways: All Out Weekend Effort

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
US Airways: All out weekend effort to avoid repeat of service trouble, Philadelphia gets extra attention

Interesting article comments:

• The first day of the year turned into a breeze of airline efficiency.

• As of yesterday, a few dozen bags had still not been returned to their owners.

• Jerry Glass, senior vice president of employee relations who is based in Arlington, Va., strolled through Philadelphia International yesterday.

• The company's presence at Philadelphia International went far beyond the norm yesterday. US Airways employees distributed complimentary coffee and chocolate cupcakes to travelers. Workers wore large name tags and tried to answer every travel-related question, even if it had nothing to do with the airline.

• Unseasonably warm weather yesterday helped holiday travel go smoothly.

• Comair, a Cincinnati-based carrier, canceled more than 1,000 flights. Many of those travelers were rebooked on US Airways and routed through Philadelphia International.

• As part of its fight for survival, US Airways cut its employment base during the past year, Glass said. So the percentage of people calling off this Christmas was greater than last, contributing to flight problems and passenger dissatisfaction.

Complete Story

Regards,

USA320pilot

• Comair, a Cincinnati-based carrier, canceled more than 1,000 flights. Many of those travelers were rebooked on US Airways and routed through Philadelphia International.

I think if you would investigate a little further you would find that a MAJORITY were rebooked on Delta who is their affiliate and not USAIR. Where was Mr Lakefield this holiday weekend? Thought he might have been spreading goodwill among the troups at Philly?

Hey guys we should cut a little slack for 320. He didn't post anything implying that everyone else should give up more of their pay to save his job. Let's give him a little credit when we can.

Cheers,

• Jerry Glass, senior vice president of employee relations who is based in Arlington, Va., strolled through Philadelphia International yesterday.

I heard he strolled thru the airport with a certain lap puppy pilot on a leash.

Jerry has finally admitted that they cut the staffing, therefore, they were short considering wather, increase traffic etc....

Finally mangment admits they were running the airline on the "cheap" and risked much needed revenue to decrease any losses this quarter.

So. was it worth the risks? Did managment hear about the lack of staffing in PHL long before xmas holday?

What do you think?

zonecontroller said:

[post="234667"][/post]​

ROFLMAO,ASMB

For that, I don't mind blowning beer out my nose!

PITbull said:
Finally mangment admits they were running the airline on the "cheap" and risked much needed revenue to decrease any losses this quarter.
So. was it worth the risks? Did managment hear about the lack of staffing in PHL long before xmas holday?
What do you think?
[post="234669"][/post]​

I don't think he is saying that at all. He said because the work force has been reduced and the same number of people called in sick, percentage wise the number is greater.

I truly do not understand how you can defend approximately three hundred of your peers not being at work over the holiday. As I stated in a previous post, is USAirways supposed to keep 200 extra bodies on the F/A payroll in order to protect two weeks of the year? Is that cost effecient? Does the AFA keep extra bodies on the payroll at national or local levels.

I also find it interesting that your heroines, Pat Friend and Teddy, go before the local and national press and state that the sick calls were the same as last year. True, they were. What lead to the cancellations was that very few, if any, flight attendants went on the bid sheet for that stretch of days. Your associates left that part of the equation out of the interview.

Lindy

"I don't think he is saying that at all. He said because the work force has been reduced and the same number of people called in sick, percentage wise the number is greater."

Lindy.... So because the work force has been reduced, that changes management responsibility to maintain enough personnel to ensure a staffed operation?... I am not saying that people who did call out needlessly (if any) do not have some responsibility in this fiasco , but I surely lay most of it on managements inability to comprehend to ramifications of them cutting the work force to such dangerous levels.... again I am not saying that we should have extra personnel hanging around, but when you cut to close to the bone and something does happen, well than whose fault is that?.... a good example would be in my station....on Thursday the 23rd we have 6 people schedule for the tkt counter total... and of those 6 people 2 of them did not start until 6pm... ( I work the night shift )... this company thought (and wrongfully i might add) that their wonderful Kiosks would be able to handle this malfunction but they were wrong again... In my station which is a focus city ( DCA )for most people the kiosks fail becuase their was some kind of change made to their tkt so they must see a human, which cause the line to back up at the ATO... now add that to any cancellations and you can see the lines back of further and further... you would think the 24th would have been better but the staffing was at the same level... and the on Xmas day we were down to 4 people and of those 2 people came in at 6pm.... Now armed with the facts can you see where the company and the ifinite wisdom sucks.......

For some reason I cannot get the Quotes to work...

usairrwe said:
"
Lindy.... So because the work force has been reduced, that changes management responsibility to maintain enough personnel to ensure a staffed operation?...
[post="234696"][/post]​

I was not referring to what happened in the stations. Vacancies that go unfilled, for whatever reason, is the responsibility of management. To rely on mandatory overtime, day-in/day-out is never a viable option.

I do have a problem with certain AFA elected officers believing that a spike of 200 sick calls over the holiday period is acceptable. As I stated before, it does not make economic sense to keep 200 bodies on the payroll to protect a two week period.

Lindy

I'm so glad Jerry made it back from his Christmas trip to NAS. I'm sure his "stroll" through the airport, along with chocolate cupcakes, put PHL back on track. We can all sleep better tonight. ( 'Bout a week late, Jer :down: )

quote=USA320Pilot,Jan 1 2005, 11:42 PM]

• The company's presence at Philadelphia International went far beyond the norm yesterday. US Airways employees distributed complimentary coffee and chocolate cupcakes to travelers. Workers wore large name tags and tried to answer every travel-related question, even if it had nothing to do with the airline.

Regards,

USA320pilot
[post="234649"][/post]​
[/quote]

lindy said:
I do have a problem with certain AFA elected officers believing that a spike of 200 sick calls over the holiday period is acceptable. As I stated before, it does not make economic sense to keep 200 bodies on the payroll to protect a two week period.

Lindy
[post="234700"][/post]​

Lindy, I don't think she/they saw a spike... it was the same number and since so, in thinking of terms of people, its the same number, its just management refused to accept or think of any consequeces,,,,... but don't want to banter back and forth with you, but I will leave you with this.... "If I thought like you did, then we both would be wrong" hahahaha :p

I finally got the quotes to work.... yeah yeah....

zonecontroller said:

[post="234667"][/post]​

Heard he peed on the carpet though...

lindy said:
I also find it interesting that your heroines, Pat Friend and Teddy, go before the local and national press and state that the sick calls were the same as last year. True, they were. What lead to the cancellations was that very few, if any, flight attendants went on the bid sheet for that stretch of days. Your associates left that part of the equation out of the interview.

Lindy
[post="234691"][/post]​

I find it interesting, your hate for labor leaders and especially Teddy, this has been going on with you for some time now. You seldom post but when you do it’s to only slam those associated with labor. You are deathly quiet on the abuse employees have and are suffering under the Glass régime, but a few employee call offs and you rant righteously and loudly, how come, what’s up with that? You block posters who don’t think like you on these boards, what’s up with that Lindy, hmmm? Your colors are showing and as U’s demise gets closer they not only show but glare. How do I “know†these things and that they are true? Because I was many different names on these boards several of which where designed to stir the pot until as cavalier I was forever banned, so the party is over for me but still interested although retired. My journey thru these boards has shown the true identities/motives of many posters, including you Lindy and your sense of repugnance and pure contempt for labor.

how about this Idea, if the same amount of people called in sick as last year, maybe these are the folks who hose their fellow employees at holiday time every year. they just have enough seniority so they were not affected by layoffs. most of your good workers were laid off. and this is what you were left with a few good workers and a lot of slackers