US Airways Confident It Will Stay Independent

Wow. A cur. market cap figure of <$300MM really jumped out and hit me. If I remember correctly, USAir paid $1.6B for Piedmont Airlines 20 years ago. Scary.

Just think how much money DP could make on his investment "IF" he got the EAST pilots onboard his boat---naw that would be toooo easy .

Hey once they arm all of the flight attendants with hand held point of sale units this airline will SKYROCKET to victory and profitability. To debate who made money and who did not in the past is so irrelevant today. What IS relevant is the fact that we have a management team grabbing at straws to keep their heads above water. In a VERY difficult environment like today our management teams TRUE abilities are showing. Just how much did we pay in "retention fees" to keep people? :rolleyes:

The only side making money is the east, and that is dwindling with the international side with the poor planning in PHL...

Oh and by the way, it's the east side of the labor triangle that protects them, not the west...
You see, at least the east had fore-sight in protection from incompatance...

Just my opinion...

A couple of points. PHL as well as the entire USAir system never made money- let's revisit where the airline was in May, 2005- peering down the cliff of liquidation. In your world, perhaps you can believe USAir was a thriving and profitable company, but the real world is a little different.
Incompetence is spelled with two e's, so if you want to slam sombody maybe you should learn how to spell above a fifth grade level first.
And yes, you are entitle to your own opinions...
Peace.

Im not saying that HP would not have gone down without the merger due to the fuel increases...

Let me understand you....You're NOT saying that HP would NOT have gone down without the merger? So we take the end statement "HP would not have gone down without the merger" and review it. HP didn't go down, nor have they. So the statement "HP would not have gone down" assumes they went down, which isn't yet the case. Second, you said "not" which reverses the statement...so you meant to say "HP would have gone down without the merger." Wouldn't that have been easier to say?

They'd have gone down long before the fuel prices went into effect. The airline was (and still is) under total assault from Southwest on all fronts. They chose a business model that put them head-to-head with a better run company that offered a better product and better service. Attempts by AWA to diversify into other markets (Columbus) failed. The airline has a proud history of trying new things and failing 100% of the time. They like to try things and see how far they can take it. It's like they don't plan anything. They just do it and see what the results are. Imagine a car mechanic who just starts replacing parts without making any attempt to isolate and diagnose the specific problem. That's how AWA was run and how US is currently run

That's not how you run a business. That's how you run a business into the ground.

A couple of points. PHL as well as the entire USAir system never made money- let's revisit where the airline was in May, 2005- peering down the cliff of liquidation. In your world, perhaps you can believe USAir was a thriving and profitable company, but the real world is a little different.
Incompetence is spelled with two e's, so if you want to slam sombody maybe you should learn how to spell above a fifth grade level first.
Peace.

We're not descending into east/west hell. It just further divides everyone here. US Airways and America West are both equally worthless as airlines and no one will convince me otherwise

i just don't get it. I mean whats the plan here? Does US have one? A la Carte to save the day? What is the real HONEST long term business plan? Cutting a few flights to Vegas and Orlando? WHAT is the plan? Nobody will convince me that US isn't in serious trouble. We are getting creamed by Southwest and CANNOT compete with the "Majors" internationally. What gives? $2.00 sodas to Florida? :rolleyes:

Peace.

"Incompetence is spelled with two e's, so if you want to slam sombody maybe you should learn how to spell above a fifth grade level first.
And yes, you are entitle to your own opinions..."

Just FYI...whilst ranting about "maybe you should learn how to spell above a fifth grade level first" ...." you are entitle to your own opinions..." ....that's "entitled"..with a D at the end, not "entitle" :rolleyes: A small additional thought = "I R a Pylut" jess' t'ain't no dang guarantee of yur bein' nun too smart" so as to disrespect any others.

And..yes = we all know that AWA was the money making champion of all airlines throughout all time, and others were often struck dumb with awe, just from observing the overall brilliance of the operation....as all still are to this very day...especially our formerly enthusiastic frequent fliers and high yield customers. If they still actually flew on this superbly run operation...I'm sure they'd agree. Are we done now?

Hey once they arm all of the flight attendants with hand held point of sale units this airline will SKYROCKET to victory and profitability. To debate who made money and who did not in the past is so irrelevant today. What IS relevant is the fact that we have a management team grabbing at straws to keep their heads above water. In a VERY difficult environment like today our management teams TRUE abilities are showing. Just how much did we pay in "retention fees" to keep people? :rolleyes:

I think all but SWA are and WILL grasp at straws with $130 a barrel. It seems everyone forgets that AMERICAN started this round of penny, nickle, and diming. We have just mastered it! :huh: Until the dollar gets stronger, things will continue to get worse and the others will either follow or tag on another fee somewhere else.

i just don't get it. I mean whats the plan here? Does US have one? A la Carte to save the day? What is the real HONEST long term business plan? Cutting a few flights to Vegas and Orlando? WHAT is the plan? Nobody will convince me that US isn't in serious trouble. We are getting creamed by Southwest and CANNOT compete with the "Majors" internationally. What gives? $2.00 sodas to Florida? :rolleyes:

The plan hasn't changed: BUY TIME UNTIL WE MERGE INTO ANOTHER CARRIER. There is no long-term vision in anything they do. It's all about buying time. Developing a business plan and reinventing the airline with an emphasis on longevity and sustainability costs a lot of money and they're not prepared to spend even 1 cent on investing in the airline. Any investment they make in themselves is about buying time.

It is truly a temporary airline. And it shows.

The plan hasn't changed: BUY TIME UNTIL WE MERGE INTO ANOTHER CARRIER. There is no long-term vision in anything they do. It's all about buying time. Developing a business plan and reinventing the airline with an emphasis on longevity and sustainability costs a lot of money and they're not prepared to spend even 1 cent on investing in the airline. Any investment they make in themselves is about buying time.

It is truly a temporary airline. And it shows.

WTF is your deal Bobbie? You seem like a total B. Not everyone is responsible for mistakes that Tempe has made. If you hate US so much, jump off the board.

Latest posts