Us Airways Enhances Offer To Machinists

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
US Airways enhances offer to machinists

Around the company's Arlington, Va., headquarters on Tuesday, there seemed to be a sense of optimism about the future, said US Airways board member Bill Pollock, leader of the pilots' union.

Although the company faces urgent financial deadlines, Pollock said he met Tuesday with CEO Bruce Lakefield and three other senior officers to discuss improving the scheduling of flight crews -- changes that might not take effect until March or April.

"I do get the sense they see us as being close to being able to do it, to beat the odds and overcome the pundits who have been pretty quick to write us off, and to succeed and provide jobs," he said. "I am encouraged by the sense of optimism and determination to see this company succeed."

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:

Around the company's Arlington, Va., headquarters on Tuesday, there seemed to be a sense of optimism about the future, said US Airways board member Bill Pollock, leader of the pilots' union.

Although the company faces urgent financial deadlines, Pollock said he met Tuesday with CEO Bruce Lakefield and three other senior officers to discuss improving the scheduling of flight crews -- changes that might not take effect until March or April.

"I do get the sense they see us as being close to being able to do it, to beat the odds and overcome the pundits who have been pretty quick to write us off, and to succeed and provide jobs," he said. "I am encouraged by the sense of optimism and determination to see this company succeed."

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="238310"][/post]​
:shock: What does this have to do with machnists getting a better deal??? :blink: :unsure:

I was a bit amused when I saw "Enhances" in that title.

Over in the CO section of FlyerTalk, the longstanding joke was that every time CO had a press release about "Enhancing" the OnePass program, it was a euphamism for BOHICA.

Perhaps US has learned from them...

Since the CLT Observer is a subscription (free) site, here's the relevant part:

"If they accept the contract, the company says, laid-off employees will receive three additional months of health benefits, can sell accrued sick leave up to $5,000 and be entitled to lifetime travel privileges if they have 15 or more years of service."

I'm sure that someone can explain how this somehow makes the "pain" worse and results in the "ask" getting bigger, but it sounds like an improvement to me.

Jim

It is obvious, by the current offer before the IAM M&E, that we finally have the leverage that we've been hoping for.

With the Company having to make side deals, excusing them from previous covenant obligations. And the general sad state of affairs the Company finds itself in. It is amusing to the M&E membership, that the company has decided to "keep" 50% of the work they were so emphatic on relieving themselves of, and to give us benefits that were not offered to any of the other groups.

It is just this desperation, that should encourage us to press our advantage.

If we should press our advantage and vote no, there is a good chance that the creditors will have had enough and file chapter 7 on us.

Is this the right thing to do?

Certainly justice would demand it. This company has lied to, and stolen from the M&E group for years. Why? Because they could, with relative impunity. Because the leadership has so little regard for the people who work for them, that they can lie and steal from them, and comfort themselves with the assurance that we, their employees, are nobodies.

So we, the M&E employees, are left with the fate of the company in our hands.

The question becomes, are the benefits:
-severance pay,
-additional medical coverage,
-cash for your sick bank,
-extended flight benefits,
-and the freedom from having to work for thugs and theives,

truly enough recompense for the injustices perpetrated upon us?

And,

if passed, will the company then run to the judge and beg for relief from these very benefits? Truely playing us once again as fools.

These are the questions that each M&E member must wrestle with. And wrestling with them we are!

BoeingBoy said:
Since the CLT Observer is a subscription (free) site, here's the relevant part:

"If they accept the contract, the company says, laid-off employees will receive three additional months of health benefits, can sell accrued sick leave up to $5,000 and be entitled to lifetime travel privileges if they have 15 or more years of service."

I'm sure that someone can explain how this somehow makes the "pain" worse and results in the "ask" getting bigger, but it sounds like an improvement to me.

Jim
[post="238360"][/post]​
:lol: Enjoyed your last sentence.....Have you and "Captain Chaos" ever been lucky enough to fly together ? I'd PAY to see that. :lol:

BoeingBoy said:
[post="238360"][/post]​
It does to me, too. I just had a chuckle over the "enhance" word.

BoeingBoy said:

Jim
[post="238360"][/post]​

Just like they did with the UA FA's, Retire early and we'll pay your health care, not. I doubt many have enough sick leave to even come up with $1,000. Maybe enough for a months rent. And the big one "lifetime travel"....wow, what a deal, who's it going to be on??

Borescope,

I'd be the last person to suggest that Glass, etc, won't use every bit of imagination they have when they start "interpretating" the provisions of this offer if it passes.

Jim

USA320Pilot said:

[post="238310"][/post]​

Excuse me, but Bill Pollock has so many conflicts going between his duties as a Union president and a BOD member of US Airways that he should not be quoted in any context.

Boeingboy,
I agree that they will use their imagination. But if that is their vision...........good luck. I hope the union comes up with something that they can put on the table better than some sick leave and passes.

Optimism???? Huh??? How long is U going to able to go on with GOFARES and the price war started by Delta, even after completely raping the employees and putting obedience collars on the unions?

January 11, 2005
Mr. William O’Driscoll
President and Directing General Chairman
IAMAW-District 142
Dear Mr. O’Driscoll:
The IAM has been in continued discussion with the Company since the Union agreed to
submit to membership ratification the final Company proposal dated January 6, 2005.
During these discussions the Union and the Company have discussed certain additional
enhancements and/or clarifications. This letter will document and formalize these
enhancements and clarifications to the Company January 6, 2005 proposal as follows:
A. Employees who are furloughed as a result of the outsourcing on or before June 1, 2006
will:
1. Be entitled to an additional three months of health and welfare benefits at
employee contribution rates (beyond those applicable under normal CBA
furlough provisions).
2. If not retirement eligible, be entitled to sell accrued sick leave at the rate
described in attachment A of the Company proposal, not to exceed a total
dollar amount of $5,000. An employee who elects to sell their sick leave under
these provisions and subsequently returns through a bid or recall they will have
any remaining sick leave accrual not sold.
3. Be entitled to lifetime travel space available travel provided they have fifteen or
more years of service.
4. Be entitled to Company-provided outplacement services, including resume
writing, interviewing skills career counseling and job fair opportunities.
B. The current Company plan is that the transition to outsourcing for utility work will
take place over approximately a three-month period following the effective date of the
agreement. PHL will be the first city outsourced, and utility employees in PHL will be
offered a fleet service full-time or part-time position in PHL under the specified terms of
attachment B of the Company proposal, prior to being involuntarily furloughed as a result
of the outsourcing of PHL utility work (This option is possible due to the large number of
fleet vacancies in PHL, combined with the increases due from the February flight
2345 Crystal Dr., Arlington, VA 22227 703-872-6234 FAX 703-872-7821
schedule and the fact that fleet in PHL will have exhausted their recall list).
Other utility or mechanic and related employees who are furloughed as a result of
outsourcing will continue to be subject to the provisions of the Company final proposal
under attachment B-Preferential Hiring.
C. The Company agrees to meet and confer with the union in order to establish rules
regarding the implementation of targeted selection for lead mechanic and inspector
vacancies. Additionally, any panel interview process set up under targeted selection will
include participation by a lead mechanic or inspector from the existing complement.
D. The Company will meet and confer with the union within five days following the
ratification to decide the applicable holidays under the agreement.
The Company recognizes that outsourcing will result in some furloughs. It is our
expectation that by delaying any outsourcing until after 3-1-05 that additional vacancies
may be created as a result of an increase in retirements. We further believe that this event,
combined with current vacancies, will materially reduce the need for involuntary
furloughs.
These additional provisions in this letter are offered contingent upon ratification of the
agreement. As indicated in the original January 6, 2005 cover letter, if the agreement is
not ratified the Company will implement terms and conditions as it considers appropriate.
It is safe to assume that the additional provisions included in this letter will not be
implemented. In fact, it is possible the Company’s condition in the event of a failed
ratification would deteriorate to the point where it might not be economically possible to
pay any furlough pay and benefits whatsoever to employees severed as a result of
outsourcing.
Sincerely:
E. Allen Hemenway
Vice President, Labor Relations
US Airways, Inc.

Back