US Airways MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE - December 5, 2006

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
US Airways ALPA MEC code-a-phone update - December 5, 2006

This is Arnie Gentile with a US Airways MEC update for Tuesday, December 5th, with four new items.

Item 1. The US Airways members of the JNC wish to address the subject of US Airways President Scott Kirby’s recent offer of placing all pilots under the AWA contract. This offer reportedly was first made during last week’s “crew news event†at the CLT Training Center. Two days later, Kirby clarified his offer on a conference call with both MEC Chairmen, where he offered the AWA contract cover to cover - with no cherry picking.

Your JNC will endeavor to learn more about this offer during Kirby’s planned address to the Joint MECs in CLT tomorrow and during our next face-to-face negotiation session next week in Washington, DC with the company’s chief negotiator, Jerry Glass.

After learning more details of the specifics of this offer, the JNC will formulate a recommendation for both MECs.

It should be noted, that in the JNC’s original analysis of both contracts in our preparations for negotiations last summer, the current AWA agreement, forged in a non-bankruptcy environment, offered some improvements over the AAA agreement with some exceptions. Accordingly, it was no surprise that management has pushed hard for the East AAA contract bankruptcy provisions for the past year. One of the exceptions mentioned above is Section 1 of the Contract, Scope.

The existing East AAA Contract Scope section was developed over many decades and is a mature and fair labor contract that offers enhanced protection for the pilot group in any transaction or merger that management wishes to pursue. It is no surprise, given current events, that this radically new direction in negotiating strategy from management has surfaced. We will not agree to use the AWA contract scope sections now or in the future. As always, your JNC stands ready to study all offers from management, make recommendations to your MECs, and negotiate on the behalf of what is best for our collective pilot group.

Item 2. The MEC reconvened its fourth quarter meeting today in Charlotte. The First order of business was to hear from pilots in good standing. After Calvin Dilks, the Piedmont MEC Chairman, addressed the MEC on Piedmont issues, The MEC then dealt with a union issue concerning J4J PSA Pilots.

The US Airways MEC has been informed that PSA J4J pilots have not been represented equitably by the PSA MEC and its committee structure and furthermore, have been subjected to what has been termed "cultural harassment."

Additionally, PSA is the only Jets For Jobs participant that requires its J4J pilots to serve a probationary period. Mark Stanley, the PSA MEC Chairman, addressed the MEC, at which time the MEC told Captain Stanley in no uncertain terms that they will not tolerate the disparate treatment that our pilots are facing, and reminded him that every jet PSA flies has come from the sacrifices of the J4J US Airways pilots.

The MEC then passed a resolution saying that until the representational interests of J4J pilots on the PSA property are resolved to the satisfaction of the US Airways MEC, the PSA MEC chairman will be denied any further access to the US Airways MEC.

The MEC then received reports from the Communications and Strike Prep committees.

The meeting's remaining schedule is as follows:

Tomorrow, Wednesday, December 6th, US Airways President Scott Kirby will address the joint AAA/AWA MEC in closed session.

This will be preceded and followed by consideration of items in subcommittee and plenary.

For Thursday, December 7th, a joint AAA-AWA MEC meeting is scheduled to convene. The JNC will then present their report to the joint MECs. The MEC is also scheduled to receive an Aeromedical/HIMS and a Grievance Committee report.

The meeting is scheduled to reconvene at 9 a.m. tomorrow and Thursday.

The meeting is being held at the Charlotte Marriott Executive Park Hotel. Pilots are encouraged to attend the meeting, but please be advised that portions may be in closed session.

Item 3. Day 2 of the AAA/AWA seniority arbitration was held at the Wardman Park Marriott in Washington, DC. The hearings began today at 10:15am as the US Airways pilots continue to present their case during this phase of the arbitration. Today’s witnesses for the US Airways pilots included merger committee members Capt. Bob Kirch and F/O Kevin Barry. F/O Dean Colello also testified for the US Airways pilots. All three of these witnesses were questioned by AAA merger counsel, Dan Katz. Several binders full of exhibits were entered into evidence supporting our position—a date of hire integration that preserves our attrition based advancement. These witnesses consumed the full day of the hearing giving direct testimony and undergoing cross examination. The hearing was recessed until 0930 am tomorrow.

An excellent article written by a PHL based First Officer summarizing the first day of this hearing is posted on the Pilots’ only web site under “What’s New.†Notes of today’s proceedings prepared by the Communications Committee can also be found under What’s New. Any US Airways pilot and their spouses can attend these hearings. The Wardman Park Marriott is located in 2660 Woodley Rd. NW; Washington, DC. It is directly across the street from the Woodley Metro stop on the Red Line. The fare from DCA is $2.10.

Item 4. America West MEC Chairman Kevin Kent resigned his position, effective yesterday. MEC Vice-Chairman, John McIlvenna, will act as AWA MEC Chairman until a new Chairman is elected.

Please remember we still have 1,683 pilots on furlough with 176 of those pilots working at Jets for Jobs carriers.

Fly safe and thank you for listening.

Additionally, PSA is the only Jets For Jobs participant that requires its J4J pilots to serve a probationary period. Mark Stanley, the PSA MEC Chairman, addressed the MEC, at which time the MEC told Captain Stanley in no uncertain terms that they will not tolerate the disparate treatment that our pilots are facing, and reminded him that every jet PSA flies has come from the sacrifices of the J4J US Airways pilots.

The MEC then passed a resolution saying that until the representational interests of J4J pilots on the PSA property are resolved to the satisfaction of the US Airways MEC, the PSA MEC chairman will be denied any further access to the US Airways MEC.

It's amazing to me that grown men, who are licensed to fly transport class aircraft can actually act like this.

Because cutting off the wholly owned is useful. Send more guys to Republic. And I'm quite sure this behavior will improve the lot in life for the J4J guys at PSA.

History dictates that if the same group of leaders had not kicked the regional flying to the curb at every chance prior to the beginning of the decade they would not be faced with a position where they are trying to dictate what another pilot group's representation should do.

I agree 100% cue. From what I can see there is zero difference between how J4J pilots are treated and "original" PSA pilots are treated. There may be a large number of complaints due to the high percentage of J4J pilots on reserve however: A. that is the direct result of the bidding structure placed here by the US Airways MEC's LOAs, and B. Reserve is just as horrible for "regular" PSA pilots. It's pure torture due to really bad contract language.

I don't know what type of investigating was done by the mainline MEC on these complaints but if they did I would guess they come from the several (VERY small number) J4J pilots who are just plain mean, angry, demeaning people. The VAST majority of J4J pilots are fantastic people who are a joy to fly with but that small number can ruin a lot.

Now, if they are talking about us fighting the CEL pilots coming here then I think I can speak for most PSA pilots when I say intimidation will not work and we will not willingly accept these pilots at PSA.

Hold on now just a minute----give the PIT and PHL reps time to recall the thing about 10 times and then let us vote---ooops sorry--age again showing.

Now, if they are talking about us fighting the CEL pilots coming here then I think I can speak for most PSA pilots when I say intimidation will not work and we will not willingly accept these pilots at PSA.
Now there is the problem in a nutshell. The EX CEL pilots are no longer PDT pilots, its obvious that many can not face the reality of this. They left PDT went to the 170 division of US AIRWAYS. Because they were at the 170 division of US AIRWAYS they were placed on the US AIRWAYS system seniority list. This happened the day they showed up for class. They were then furloughed from US AIRWAYS and placed on the APL. As offensive as you may find this, it is reality.
Now you have a choice,
you can jump up and down and make life as miserable as possible for these guys, or you can just let it go, and maybe get a flow thru going. Its only a handful of pilots. The PSA mec has chosen this to be the battle they want to fight, well you see the result.

Now you have a choice,
you can jump up and down and make life as miserable as possible for these guys, or you can just let it go, and maybe get a flow thru going. Its only a handful of pilots. The PSA mec has chosen this to be the battle they want to fight, well you see the result.

I choose option A. They are there via technicality and they know it. They were supposed to flow back to their respective carriers yet they did not. We can argue this forever but they do not belong here. We even have one of them running around this place telling everyone they should get their old piedmont seniority here at PSA! :rolleyes:

As far as flow through goes, if the Delta merge happens a flow through is about as likely as Dougie giving us a fair wage to fly mainline replacement aircraft (CRJ-900's). It ain't gonna happen and you know what? That's fine by me.

I speak for me and not my MEC or any other pilot at PSA. I highly doubt you speak for anyone other than yourself so you can take your intimidation (choose this or else) home because it won't work.

Does mainline MEC even know what it is like to work at a regional airline? No fault of PSA's MEC but we get treated like crap each and every day. The company breaks the contract multiple times a day.
Just for a second try to understand why people think the new batch of J4J's do not belong. We have a lot of people at PSA that deserve the upgrade. Piedmont pilots are preventing that, And rubbing it in. Our company is loving it. First year Captain pay. F/O's quitting in record numbers. Just a great place to work. What did you expect?

If I was PSA I wouldn't even care! WOW, no access to the US Airways MEC!!!! Who cares! What has US Airways MEC done to help PSA or PDT?

We have a lot of people at PSA that deserve the upgrade. Piedmont pilots are preventing that, And rubbing it in.

How in the hell is PDT preventing upgrades? Your MEC in 2002 signed on J4J!!! PSA fleet doubled in size! Sorry, but I don't think PDT is the fault for whats happening to you! It was your old union leaders!!!

I think he was referring to the PDT CEL guys here now and how they didn't flow back to where they came from. It's only 8 (well, 7 now I think) but when you have a total of 8 in house upgrades in a year, 8 spots would be doubling the upgrades.