Us Airways Names James Schear Restructuring Vp

EyeInTheSky said:
I've flown with Jim a fair amount. This guy isn't coming back to make a short term killing. His only motivation will be to fix this mess.

He knows what needs to be done to streamline this company and get it firing on all cylinders again. Too late for many of us but great news for those remaining.

FOForevere said:
EyeInTheSky said:
I've flown with Jim a fair amount. This guy isn't coming back to make a short term killing. His only motivation will be to fix this mess.

He knows what needs to be done to streamline this company and get it firing on all cylinders again. Too late for many of us but great news for those remaining.
[post="175469"][/post]​

The real question is whether he will be given the necessary tools to get the job done. He reports directly to Lakefield, but will he have enough of Lakefield's confidence to wield Lakefield's clout as CEO?

having flown with/knowing captain (admrial) schear, i would say he has the respect of most of the pilot group.

now ask yourself why, hire an ex-pilot/manager for this job?

is it there is no confidence in who is supposed to turn the airline around but having lost the respect of the employees finds himself unable to manage anything .....

i look for the 'supposed aire apparent' to be terminated shortly . in much the same way Dave lost the respect and confidence of the employees thus rendered unable to manage therefore his employment was terminated.

i suspect this person will be gone before oct31

VP of transformation? Puleeze. The VP of transformation should be Bruce Lakefield. He should be working on the transformation issue 24/7. In fact, every VP should be a VP of transformation. This seems a bit over the top. I don't like this news. My gut tells me its bad. Either there is dissention at CCY to be taken care of, or not enough folks to answer Lakefield's phone, or too many unions to talk to at once. I am not sure, but what it does tell me is that management cannot handle the job, and they need outside help. I.e. things are starting to get out of control.

That's my take. Hope I'm wrong.

USA320Pilot said:
Jim has an in-depth knowledge of US Airways, his appointment is best news I have heard at our company in recent memory, and I believe bodes well for the company's transformation.

USA320Pilot
[post="175425"][/post]​

That is the most correct statement you have made on these boards in a long time. Hard to believe....this is, indeed, good news. Greeter.

Jim is a no nonsense guy and if the company was going to be liquidated after next week's bankruptcy filing, then why would Jim leave a secure high-level government position?

I believe Jim will have broad power and will be Lakefield's right hand man. Then as he grows into the position Jim will become the next COO. In addition, Jim will clean house and the dead wood better watch out.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

The " Dead Wood" should have been shown the door long ago......
Why are they just getting around to this now?

ITRADE said:

They have been talking about the transformation plan for months saying how they desperately need cost savings. It is fact they have been hiring managers and foreman like crazy, and in fact they are shops with a 12 men and two foremen to over see them.

The IAM's suggestions fell on deaf ears, instead they are doing the opposite of what the IAM suggested.

Gee if I were looking for a job U would be the first place I would apply....sure it would.

They must be making some big promises to get the bodies they are finding.

Jim Shear's appointment is exactly what those who live on this board have been
demanding for years: a leader with operational experience.
You should give him a chance instead of marching lockstep into the
usual boring anti-company tirades.

It may be a move to "shore up" the management team, which is KNOWN to have zero experience running an airline. It does make one wonder why someone with the credentials of Admiral Schear would come back to UAIR in the first place. I would bet he didn't resign his other job, but is merely on a leave of absence or something. I am encouraged by this move to increase management's credibility, as it probably indicates that they really do plan to run an airline. It may be something which was done to appease the creditors and encourage them not to call the loans or take the assets of the company. Just my thoughts.

Again, I think it's telling that:

a) this guy has acknowledged that he left a high profile, secure job for U

B) his title is vp of Restructuring (and it's reported that he'll oversee U's judicial restructuring if it occurs)

c) he's an operations guy in charge of a possible judicial restructuring, but restructuring none the less.

d) sounds like U has a need to change its operations regardless of what labor does or does not do. I hear U2 in my head 'with or without you'

cavalier said:
The IAM's suggestions fell on deaf ears, instead they are doing the opposite of what the IAM suggested.

[post="175574"][/post]​

Cav -

I disagree that the huge list of cost savings that the IAM proposed fell on deaf ears. The problem with the list was that they did not encompass the labor-slamming that the company thinks is necessary.

When the company files Chapter 11 and the judge asks the CCY nitwits "what about that $700 million in non-labor savings?" the company will parade out the IAM list as their idea.

It's about time an operator was brought in.

Will he have the portfolio to look at the board, and say, "we can transform this company, with less pain to the employees?"

Time will tell.

And, for the man to establish some creds, I'd like to see some top-flight deadwood excised, like, YESTERDAY.

Latest posts

Back