Us Airways News For July 19, 2004

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
While I appreciate the consolidated view, I do have one suggestion that would make things tidier.

Instead of creating links that say "Complete Story," why not have the link be the headline itself. That would cut the size of your post in half. We already know that they're links anyway, so the separate link is redundant.

He also might want to read the other threads since several of the articles he posted have all ready been posted.

More waste of bandwith.

Lakefield urges union leaders to get deals done quickly

Dateline: Tuesday - July 20, 2004

NEW YORK (ATWOnline.com) - Fearing that US Airways' financial partners might soon "run out of patience," CEO Bruce Lakefield last week told employees that the airline's labor leaders and negotiators must get to the negotiating table and do so quickly.

"We have talked about the need for change for so long I know we are all sick of hearing about it," Lakefield said in a message to staff. "So let's get to the table, cut the deals and get to the other side…before the other legacy carriers do, so that we can get to the business of making money."

The airline has said it needs to shed a further $1.5 billion in expenses in order to compete in today's low-fare environment. Of that total, $800 million would come from labor. US Airways' pilots are reviewing a cost-cutting proposal and last week its flight attendants and the union representing its reservation agents, ticket counter workers and gate agents agreed to begin talks with management (ATWOnline, July 16). This leaves the International Assn. of Machinists as the only major union that has not agreed to begin negotiations with management.

"For those labor groups that haven't yet started talking to us, we need your labor leaders to get to the table and stay there until we get deals," Lakefield said. "This isn't a typical labor negotiation where we can spend months passing pieces of paper back and forth or worse, tossing rhetorical hand grenades at each other in order to soften up the other side for negotiations. There are too many people with a stake in this."

Lakefield said he is committed to preserving as many jobs as he can and would like to grow the airline. "But given our current cost structure, we can't preserve any jobs with any certainty and we certainly cannot grow," he said. "Furthermore we cannot control our destiny if we waste the entire summer without reaching labor agreements because then we are going to be faced with even uglier choices."

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Oh please stop! Your scaring all of us again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again. :lol:

Attachments

• scared.jpg
    scared.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 104
I see things havent changed.. The same people have their jands in the sand! In the mean time, the airline industry continues to falter. I guess all major airlines have horrible leaders, or the outside is dictating what we do, pay, and achieve. Nah, second thought, keep your heads in the sand !

usfliboi said:
I see things havent changed.. The same people have their jands in the sand! In the mean time, the airline industry continues to falter. I guess all major airlines have horrible leaders, or the outside is dictating what we do, pay, and achieve. Nah, second thought, keep your heads in the sand !
I see that things have not changed, that the same skinny pale faced cowards are begging everyone to bend over and have their insides ripped wide open, WILLINGLY no less.

To all the whackos on here with that mentality and to CCY and all the team leaders who IMO deserve to be publicly tar and feathered for all the dirty deeds they pulled and got away with, got away with because right now the GOP lets them do it.

All you sickening wipes can: KISS MY HUNKY HIND END

'ol doc bronner has been unusually silent....
shouldn't he be popping up on cue to fire off several volleys of threats?
maybe force some ticket sale cancellations w/BK diatribe? :lol:

usfliboi,

"In the mean time, the airline industry continues to falter. I guess all major airlines have horrible leaders"

If by "the airline industry" you really mean the legacy carriers, you're right - none is doing particularily well right now. But that's not the airline industry.

As far as "all major airlines have horrible leaders" (again assuming you really mean all legacy carriers since WN is a major airline), maybe you should look around at what's happening in "the airline industry" before making such broad-brush statements. There are legacy carriers making what could be called fantastic progress in getting their costs in line - without repeated calls for more concessions. Will any legacy carrier get costs down to levels that allow them to compete with the LCC's? Time will tell, but I suspect so. And they will be the ones that have managements that realize they must attack every inefficiency in their operation, not those that depend on only employee concessions to "save" them.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
Will any legacy carrier get costs down to levels that allow them to compete with the LCC's? Time will tell, but I suspect so. And they will be the ones that have managements that realize they must attack every inefficiency in their operation, not those that depend on only employee concessions to "save" them.
This is exactly right on the money! All labor groups here have given and given and given to the various management leaders that seem to come and go thru the doors at Chrystal City. They all managed to squander away the give backs and not make any realistic progress to eliminating the waste and non productive operations within the company. After coming back again and again asking for more from the employees, it's time they do their job....run this company in an efficient manner and get rid of all the excess waste. Any of us can look around and see it daily, but for some reason, they just can get it. I am in no mood to give any more. Either run this company or shut the damn thing down. NO MORE CONCESSIONS.

BoeingBoy:

BoeingBoy said: "Will any legacy carrier get costs down to levels that allow them to compete with the LCC's? Time will tell, but I suspect so. And they will be the ones that have managements that realize they must attack every inefficiency in their operation, not those that depend on only employee concessions to "save" them."

USA320Pilot comments: I agree that "every inefficiency in their operation" must be attacked to match LCC costs across-the-board. The big difference between LCC and legacy carrier employee labor expense is productivity/work rules, retirement plans, and meaningful stock incentive and profit sharing plans. I suspect when this is all said and done, employees will be able to keep their gross pay about the same, but there will be changes to work rules, pay rates, and retirements plans.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Latest posts