Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
US Airways may find silver lining

Complete Story

Lufthansa, US Airways sign cargo cooperation deal

Complete Story

Pilots Ratify

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - The Master Executive Council (MEC) PSA's pilots union early this morning ratified an agreement that resolves all outstanding contractual issues to operate the 70-seat Canadair CRJ-701 regional jet aircraft. The agreement was ratified by an eight-to-one vote and becomes effective immediately. PSA, a US Airways Express carrier and a wholly owned subsidiary of US Airways Group Inc., has been the sole operator of US Airways' CRJs, and currently operates 26 50-seat CRJ 100-200s and four CRJ 701s. “I want thank the MEC for their hard work in reaching this extremely important agreement, as it will bring benefits to our pilots, our company and most importantly our customers, and it is a wonderful airplane to fly,†said Richard Pfennnig, PSA president and chief executive officer. In addition to the regional jets, PSA also operates eight Dornier 328 turbo-prop aircraft, which are being retired from their fleet. By Sept, 7, 2004, PSA will be an all regional jet airline.

Cargo Agreement

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - US Airways and Lufthansa Cargo have entered into a transatlantic cargo marketing and freight handling agreement covering select routes from Europe to the U.S. Under the agreement, beginning Sept. 1 2004, Lufthansa Cargo will assume responsibility for marketing US Airways’ freight capacity on flights originating in Europe destined for the United States. Customers can then rely on established products and processes of Lufthansa Cargo.

In addition, the carriers will consolidate operations and plan to move under one roof at all European airports served by US Airways and in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Charlotte, N.C. This will enhance the carriers’ synergies and cost efficiencies at those locations. The carriers will endeavor to consolidate other operations throughout their networks.

The initial phase of the agreement will include all US Airways flights from Amsterdam, Munich and Paris (Charles De Gaulle) to Philadelphia International, as well as routes from Frankfurt to Charlotte, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. With Phase II, which will begin Oct. 1 2004, Lufthansa Cargo will begin marketing and handling US Airways’ freight capacity from London (Gatwick) to Charlotte, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and from Madrid, Manchester and Rome to Philadelphia. Beginning in the summer of 2005, services to Philadelphia from Glasgow, Dublin and Shannon will be added to the cargo-service agreement.

“Through this agreement with Lufthansa Cargo, we expect to increase our operational efficiency and marketing exposure to better serve our customers,†said Ben Baldanza, senior vice president of marketing and planning. “We are pleased to be able to expand the breadth of services that we share with our Star Alliance partner Lufthansa.â€

For Dr. Andreas Otto, member of the Lufthansa Cargo Executive Board responsible for Marketing and Sales, the partnership is a win-win situation. “Lufthansa Cargo customers will benefit from an even more attractive network in the future. Lufthansa Cargo products and enhanced interline processes plus seamless interlinking of both companies’ IT systems will also deliver a high degree of reliability throughout the transport chain.â€

Somber Report

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - Standard & Poor’s yesterday said the long-term viability of US Airways “remains uncertain given the company’s weak financial profile, geographically concentrated route network, and increasing exposure to low-cost competition.†The credit rating agency also said these concerns leave the airports at Charlotte, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh vulnerable to the airline’s long-term prospects because of the amount of US Airways connecting traffic at each.

The only major union still boycotting talks is the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, which represents 5,000 mechanics and 4,500 baggage handlers.

and some ;) :lol: :up:

Lakefield recently told Pennsylvania officials that he would like to preserve the company's 1,700 maintenance jobs at Pittsburgh International Airport. It remains unclear whether IAM's refusal to negotiate will affect that commitment.

The company is seeking $295 million in concessions from pilots; $116 million from flight attendants; $122 million from CWA; and $267 million from the machinists' union.

ohhhh, now Lakefield has jumped into the same old retorhic of threats and blackmail.
Good Job, Lakefield :down:

PITbull said:
Lakefield recently told Pennsylvania officials that he would like to preserve the company's 1,700 maintenance jobs at Pittsburgh International Airport. It remains unclear whether IAM's refusal to negotiate will affect that commitment.

The company is seeking $295 million in concessions from pilots; $116 million from flight attendants; $122 million from CWA; and $267 million from the machinists' union.

ohhhh, now Lakefield has jumped into the same old retorhic of threats and blackmail.
Good Job, Lakefield :down:
If you don't trust him Pitbull, then why is AFA deciding to go into negotiations????Remember your earlier post?????

ktflyhome said:
If you don't trust him Pitbull, then why is AFA deciding to go into negotiations????Remember your earlier post?????
kt,

What's your point???

I was responding to his quote!

Seems like "same old, same old". My previous post regarding Lakefield had to do with what the MAJORITY of the elected MEC members thought and elected to go to the table...NOT ALL OF THEM. You need to reread my earlier post.

I highly recommend that the IAM strikes a deal soon or they could be on the outside looking in. At least the AFA & CWA are ready to strike a deal soon.

Attachments

• burn.jpg
    burn.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 171
Smoke and Mirrors said:
I highly recommend that the IAM strikes a deal soon or they could be on the outside looking in. At least the AFA & CWA are ready to strike a deal soon.
No one cares what you strongly recommend, nor do they care about your arrogant predictions. Take the weekend off. Or, better yet, why not begin to address the things that were mentioned here by ELP_WN_Psgr?

Smoke and Mirrors said:
Looks like most of them will be on the outside looking in regardless....and in any case, what good is striking a deal with those that have shown no compunction about breaking deals already signed?

TheLarkAscending said:
No one cares what you strongly recommend, nor do they care about your arrogant predictions. Take the weekend off.
No one cares? I do. What's so hard about allowing others to express opinions without being an a$$ about it?

Smoke and Mirrors said:
Strike a deal soon?

Where do you get your info. Going to the table and coming up with a Tentative agreement (deal) is WAY WAY contrasting.

We shall see....

And then there is the other barometer....RATIFICATION!

KT:

If I recall, Pitbull said the decision of AFA to negotiate was not unanimous. The tone of that message that I perceived was that Pitbull did not support that decision. I may be wrong, but that is what I perceived.

Latest posts