US Airways: Passenger revenue worse than post 9-11

Woe is me, woe is me. Humm, it must be pilot contract negotiation time again? Oh...it is.

If this place cannot survive as a business, while paying its employees a equitable wage, let 'er go away.

Woe is me, woe is me. Humm, it must be pilot contract negotiation time again? Oh...it is.

You think the company cares about pilot negotiations? At the rate they are going, I am certain the company does not have to worry about "negotiating" for quite some time, and they are loving every minute of it.

If this place cannot survive as a business, while paying its employees a equitable wage, let 'er go away.

Do you watch the news? :blink:

"Not only are there fewer business travelers, those that are traveling are more able to purchase leisure fares that they weren't able to purchase before because of restrictions," Kirby said, and that's depressing revenue further.

Well if you hadn't done everything in your power to drive away the business travelers, then you wouldn't need to be saying that would you?

"Not only are there fewer business travelers, those that are traveling are more able to purchase leisure fares that they weren't able to purchase before because of restrictions," Kirby said, and that's depressing revenue further.

Well if you hadn't done everything in your power to drive away the business travelers, then you wouldn't need to be saying that would you?

Ok, fair enough. The product sucks. So, if this problem is US specific, and totally related to their (US') product, what is the reason the business travelers have headed to the Y cabin (in droves), at CO? AA? UA? Take a look at the others and see how much their Premium traffic is hurting.

Ok, fair enough. The product sucks. So, if this problem is US specific, and totally related to their (US') product, what is the reason the business travelers have headed to the Y cabin (in droves), at CO? AA? UA? Take a look at the others and see how much their Premium traffic is hurting.

I really wasn't referring to a Premium product or the cabin the business people are traveling in. I was referring to the defections from US.

If you give that segment of flyers a decent product, a decent frequent flyer program and treat them like they are of value to you; you won't have them defecting to other carriers.

I was referring more to their treatment and sense of appreciation for having their business.

Getting some pilots ready to stand in line to give more back in benefits and pay??!?!?!
]
"The Sky is Falling....."

Wait. The airplanes are full. Can't they charge $10 more/ticket, accept the slight dropoff in load factor, and make more $$?
How about reducing the contract 'express' product that costs more than it produces?
Oh, I know, have mgmt buy some more worthless derivatives to the tune of $400 million!
I think Tempe has things under control...

I really wasn't referring to a Premium product or the cabin the business people are traveling in. I was referring to the defections from US.

If you give that segment of flyers a decent product, a decent frequent flyer program and treat them like they are of value to you; you won't have them defecting to other carriers.

I was referring more to their treatment and sense of appreciation for having their business.

Still doesn't make sense. If all these business travelers defected to other carriers, as you say, then I'll ask again: why are the other carriers seeing such steep falloffs in premium traffic? By your logic, the other carriers should be seeing increases in premium traffic, from the US defections.

And, can you provide hard numbers for the defections, and where they defected to? At least let me know where to find the data?

Wait. The airplanes are full. Can't they charge $10 more/ticket, accept the slight dropoff in load factor, and make more $$?
How about reducing the contract 'express' product that costs more than it produces?
Oh, I know, have mgmt buy some more worthless derivatives to the tune of $400 million!
They do charge plenty for a ticket. The problem is the flight doesn't fill up at that price. The used to fill the last 10% of the seats at the lowest fare. Now the prices drop so that they can fill the last 40% of the plane. Add a dollar to your flight and you end up as the last flight on Travelocity and that 40% goes empty. Dubinsky wasn't the only one that wanted every golden egg in the goose.

Or so they say.

Well USAPA won 38 million, due in the accounts of the LTD pilots next week they owe the East pilot group 35 million in Jan 2010. plus raises for the East when LOA 93 is up this Dec. Revenue is down due to America West management style, the way they treat the passengers and employees is terrible, so this is no suprise. Full pay till the last day!!!

Fly larger, more fuel efficient aircraft on a respectable schedule instead of a rickety regional jet that nobody enjoys flying on that are scheduled 15 minutes apart from one another on the same route.

The problem with contract Express flying rests on deals that were made with Repugnant and Air Wisconsin to extend their contracts in return for cash infusions when the company has faced liquidity crises. If I recall correctly, Air Wisconsin provided a significant sum of cash to US when they exited BK in order to retain their contracted flying through 2011 or 2013. Likewise, Repugnant (Wexford Holdings, ie. Repugnant and Chatauqua Airlines) recently loaned US Airways a large sum of cash for operations in return for extending their contract for several more years. With these agreements, US will never be able to get rid of contract express flights. It's a sick relationship that in the long run benefits the contract carriers more than it does US, who is continuously seeking short term cash infusions.

It's really ironic that US and all of the other major carriers brought the contract carriers into their fold in order to save money (ie. bust mainline scope), but it is costing them more money to keep the outsourcing than it would to run their own equipment on many routes.

Are Mesa's contracts coming up and perhaps being able to be slowly shown the door? That potentially might help, although I understand the situation with the other two East regional carriers.

Also, do I either understand or remember that AWA had actually purchased or leased the RJ's that are used in the West? If so could mainline pilots, or furloughees, be able to fly them if their was a LOA worked out regarding them? (I am not suggesting a J4J, but mainline flying the smaller aircraft.)

Feel free to educate me.