Us Airways Watch – 9/28/04

USFlyer said:
Well, FWIW, I have sympathy yet don't. I hated my job, found a new one and got a nice salary bump and stability out of it. It can be done, but sitting around and taking the crap being dished out is ridiculous. Honestly, if I were to ever have worked for US, it would have been in CCY given my background. And, given that, I would have bolted about 6 months ago if I had not been laid off before then.

As for my miles, I openly admitted above I think the show is over, and I've already given up on ever redeeming them. So I'm not preaching as much as recommending people stop taking the B.S. and simply move on. In my opinion it will only continue to get worse before the ATSB pulls the plug, which I see as inevitable regardless of what labor does. I do think labor should agree to concessions, but not as a long term solution. Only as a short term solution to give each employee more breathing room to find something else (and better).

And, also, this board is not an employee only board. If you don't like my meddling, just ignore my posts. I think the web site even has a mechanism for you to automatically do that.
[post="185739"][/post]​

USFlyer, for heaven's sake cash in your miles on a Star Alliance partner or better yet DONATE THEM to the Make A Wish Foundation http://www.usairways.com/dividendmiles/pro...rityprogram.htm.
As for the employment situation, believe me, I think everyone is working on that. I happen to realize it may take up to a year or more to find alternate employment; hence, I've set the wheels in motion last spring. Sadly, as someone else pointed out on this board, there is a bias against US Airways employees at some of the other carriers. Things aren't as simple as they seem.

I love the stuff about "being along for the ride and not being in control," and "if the judge rules this way or another, I'm gonna be in the poor house." Are some of you that unintelligent such that you do not understand that there is a free market labor system here in the United States? If you believe that your job will not render compensation and benefits commensurate with your employment potential, why not leave???? It is even more amazing when folks are willing to ride the horse into the ground first, before seeking alternatives.

My first job paid very little - about $19,500 a year. After sticking it out a while and getting virtually no raise, I left, got another job, went to graduate school, and now command substantially better wages.

I didn't wait to be handfed the pablum from the local union rep who one day professes that we're going to not negotiate, and then decries the purported "unfairness" of the game once the game is commenced.

USFlyer said:
Huh? Are you saying that you are unable to find a good job until US goes away?! If so, that is ludicrous and you are making excuses. Accept reality, your ability to find your next job is only dependent on US in that it's easier to find a job when you already have one. US going away will not suddenly make finding a job easier.
[post="185704"][/post]​
What is ludicrous is your inability to comprehend that as long as Usair operates using (use PHL as an Example) 45 main line gates and continues to evolve into a more "competitive competitor" with historically low wages, benefits, fares etc... then no one will be able to expand appreciably and operate from all of those 45 gates. That is the crux of the problem. Usair needs to take their plans for poorly treating their employees and customers to the great airline junkyard in the sky so that others and I can work in the city where we live and would like to live. So unless labor relations get better don't expect to see many workers happy to put in a hard days work, because many want Usair to end. Get it now? Some no longer care about your investment nor loyalty to Usair.

PineyBob said:
You know they have this little piece of paper over in PHL. Perhaps you've seen it. I know my uncle landed on Normandy to preserve the principles espoused on it. That document codifies my God given right to have an opinion different than yours as well as the right to express it pretty much wherever and whenever I choose, whether you like it or not. It's the United States Constitution!

Get used to some of your customers exercising our rights. Unhappy? to bad! When and where I spend my money is determined by many factors and i spend a heck of alot of dough with your employer and if I want to post here I'll post here. US Flyer, myself and others neither seek or desire you approval. In fact it's irrelevent.

My apologies to all of the really nice people who put in a honest days labor for US and me as a customer. It's a shame that some of your co-worker view customers as the enemy and here I thought that only CCY took that view.
[post="185778"][/post]​

PB,

When you come on any public forum, you have no more rights or privileges than anyone else on this board. Whether customer, employee, executive, clergymen, or politician....

"Eye in the sky" had stated in their post.."no offense". He/she is exercising their right in the same constitution to free speech and the freedom to assemble on this forum.

UNHAPPY? TOO BAD!

When you come on this board you will recieve the same respect, SAME attitude you so freely dish out. I don't give a damn if you spend $1million on U, or $1!

UNHAPPY? TOO BAD!

PS: my appoligies to all the really wonderful, respectful, nice customers who fly us. I know that most of you don't view the employee as the enemy..

ITRADE said:
I love the stuff about "being along for the ride and not being in control," and "if the judge rules this way or another, I'm gonna be in the poor house." Are some of you that unintelligent such that you do not understand that there is a free market labor system here in the United States? If you believe that your job will not render compensation and benefits commensurate with your employment potential, why not leave???? It is even more amazing when folks are willing to ride the horse into the ground first, before seeking alternatives.

My first job paid very little - about $19,500 a year. After sticking it out a while and getting virtually no raise, I left, got another job, went to graduate school, and now command substantially better wages.

I didn't wait to be handfed the pablum from the local union rep who one day professes that we're going to not negotiate, and then decries the purported "unfairness" of the game once the game is commenced.
[post="185814"][/post]​

No... :shock: say it isn't so, joe? Free market labor system here in the United States? Duh, whaz, tat? Iz'at dere a-nother Union or som'em?

Ahhh, get out-a-tahhn.......

I'm PITbull, and I approve this message.

Was the company not asking for cuts 6-12 months ago? Your plan the entire time has been to shut down the company and take a year off with unemployment (something you labeled a vacation).

You have never been for reaching a market driven contract, only for shutting the company down.

Let me guess, you were against parity too, right. You are an embarassment to all of us, and only an impediment in the process of working a way towards a deal.

You are right in that it is sad that this profession is turning into a job; however, what we do at US Airways to survive will have no influence on industry standards, this trend is much BIGGER than that.

For those of us who look at our kids, or others out there getting other jobs that pay more...well, I would recommend putting in an application, you might get lucky and get hired...then again maybe not.

Might be a smart choice for most here to have a job while looking for a new one if this no longer works for them (myself included)

I know your mind is already made up, but then, that was true a year ago....

PITbull said:
The market place will dictate...

If the market place is permitted to dictate my wage, then give labor an opportunity to "give and take" and reach "fair" compromise along this spectrum.

Otherwise, you risk, anarchy, revolt, protest, strike.
[post="185422"][/post]​

"Duh, whaz, tat? Iz'at dere a-nother Union or som'em?"

I guess when you can't muster a valid response, there's always mindless babble.

UseYourHead said:
Was the company not asking for cuts 6-12 months ago? Your plan the entire time has been to shut down the company and take a year off with unemployment (something you labeled a vacation).

You have never been for reaching a market driven contract, only for shutting the company down.

Let me guess, you were against parity too, right. You are an embarassment to all of us, and only an impediment in the process of working a way towards a deal.

You are right in that it is sad that this profession is turning into a job; however, what we do at US Airways to survive will have no influence on industry standards, this trend is much BIGGER than that.

For those of us who look at our kids, or others out there getting other jobs that pay more...well, I would recommend putting in an application, you might get lucky and get hired...then again maybe not.

Might be a smart choice for most here to have a job while looking for a new one if this no longer works for them (myself included)

[post="186130"][/post]​

What? Take a vacation? Find the post your quoting Ace... :angry:

There is not one post that ever said "shut the place down". Not one.

MOD NOTE: DON'T QUOTE THE ENTIRE LONG POSTING IF IT IS ON THE SAME PAGE-2ND WARNING

PITbull said:
There is not one post that ever said "shut the place down". Not one.
[post="186203"][/post]​

Now, pay attention to the following equation, dear.

To some people...
Not rolling over and giving in to every outrageous demand the company makes = a desire to "shut the place down."

It's the same math the company uses, 1 + 1 = whatever we want it to be. :lol:

UseYourHead said:

Correct me if I'm wrong... but aren't there more issues on the table besides pay cuts? Would be simple enough to negotiate just the one issue, but there are far more issues then just wage cuts to consider during this process. :blink:

Well at least one union has some sense--"Under the circumstances, it was the absolute right thing to do and we stand ready in support of the company, especially during these difficult times," said Don Wright, president of TWU Dispatchers Local 545 These folks got to vote---pilots havent got to yet and I think the F/A's will get to vote---right PITBULL B) --- for all the pilots I'am hoping the RC4 dudes gets a little sense and turn it over to the pilot group for a vote--no more gangster tricks. my .02$

UseYourHead said:

[post="186130"][/post]​

The company has been demanding concessions for 2 years.

And, for for clarity sake....my mind has been made up for TWO years. :p