Us Airways Watch – 9/28/04

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
US Airways watch – 9/28/04

 U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Stephen Mitchell agreed yesterday to consider US Airways' request for $38 million per month in temporary labor cuts on Oct. 7.

 US Airways met yesterday with its pilots union and passenger service workers union about a permanent package of concessions. The airline said in bankruptcy documents that the last comprehensive proposal offered by passenger service workers would actually cost US Airways $42 million next year.

 Charlotte, N.C., pilot union representative Lance Svendsen said he planned to introduce a resolution this week or next asking for the four Pittsburgh and Philadelphia representatives to resign. Before US Airways filed for bankruptcy, the four representatives blocked a company cost-cutting proposal from reaching a vote of all rank-and-file pilots. One of the Pittsburgh reps, Fred Freshwater, said he would not seek re-election to the post.

 US Airways disclosed in bankruptcy documents that Hurricanes Frances and Ivan cost the airline $20 million in lost revenue.

 To preserve cash, US Airways said yesterday that all "nonessential" business travel, including conferences and seminars, was no longer allowed for management employees.

Complete Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Court to hear pitch for 23% wage cut

"U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge Stephen Mitchell yesterday gave labor unions and other parties opposed to US Airways' plan until Oct. 5 to file motions."

"The company comes in with a petition that's a 23 percent cut, while inviting (negotiations) that could lead to a smaller concession," said William Lauer, chairman of Allegheny Capital Management, Tarentum. "The smart union will see that as an attempt to work these things out."

Complete Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

 U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Stephen Mitchell agreed yesterday to consider US Airways' request for $38 million per month in temporary labor cuts on Oct. 7.
WHAT ELSE DOES HE HAVE OPTION WISE , ALL HE DID WAS AGREE TO A HEARING WHERE BOTH SIDES WILL PRESENT THEIR CASE....
QUIT TRYING TO "SCARE PEOPLE" YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED..... <_<

According to todays Charlotte Observer , Management cuts and abolishments are going to be in the arena of $40 Million.

57 in CCY have already been furloughed or abolished...and more system wide are coming.

I do not take any pleasure in seeing anyone losing their jobs , regardless of whom they might be? Yet I still think the honcho's in CCY need to be shown the door in favor of court appointed trustee's with a background in something other than union busting.

The final issue should be the fact that labor is being asked to become the source of U's DIP financing again. What is being asked of the masses far overshadows what the RSA contributed to gain control of U 2 years ago...and with that said , it's time to bid our media hound Chairman of the Board a hardy adios...and then get a real airline guy from somewhere/anywhere. I'd settle for anyone whom can keep their trap shut long enough to stop damaging our advanced bookings during the lean months. This too will have to be overcome with employee sacrifices...and Judge Mitchell needs to understand this..or be made to understand these facts when the unions file their side of the case.

The "topped-out" senior f/as is going down to $30,866, at 80 hours flying, the 10-year LTO reserve is going down to $24,000 and the 6-year LTO reserve is going down to $21,000.

My daughter graduated from college in May and is taking a job "entry level" in Coraopolis that pays MORE than the "topped-out" senior f/a. (topped-out senior f/as is from 14 years-45 years).

Again, I will vote NO, fight like hell with "like minds", and then leave.

The "market place" dictates survivability, not the courts or the government.

The airline job for many is "transforming" into "entry level", no education needed type of employment for many. One airline does it, domino effect begins.

The majors will eventually have employees with "quick turnover", like the regionals. The Industry will have to hire many, as they won't be able to keep them long enough to finish trips.

I find it unfair, disengenuous cruel to change the rules on folks midway or nearly at the end of their careers just because its the "business thing" to do.

What happened after 9/11 for the employees of this industry is horrific, and they continue to be victims. And if Labor doesn't make every attempt to protect Labor, then no one else will help us.

We are union. We have a vote to cast. Let the "chips fall" where they will.

Pitbull, You scare me with your PIT mentality... This is not about you. You have a duty, an obligation, and a morale responsiblit y to make sure the f/a's who want a job have a job, not just with highest pay. This is one of the times i truely believe unions are worthless. You have reminded me of that with your spouting :) Thanks

...and then get a real airline guy from somewhere/anywhere how about robert crandall, he was an DELTED but he would at least lay all the cards on the table.

usfliboi said:
Pitbull, You scare me with your PIT mentality... This is not about you. You have a duty, an obligation, and a morale responsiblit y to make sure the f/a's who want a job have a job, not just with highest pay. This is one of the times i truely believe unions are worthless. You have reminded me of that with your spouting :) Thanks
[post="185390"][/post]​

Unions have responsibility to strive for a "standard of living" and maintain a profession.

With that comes self-respect, pride, commitment and didication, to the professon to make it even better.

If you want McDonalds wages; go work at McDonalds. Plus, they're non-union. :up:

"The "market place" dictates survivability, not the courts or the government."

The marketplace also dictates your wages. Unfortunately, many thousands of people are willing & waiting to come in as F/A's at entry level, and the company cannot grow at a fast enough rate to balance new hires with old timers. When the company is not growing (or shrinking) there are likely only two choices. Greatly more productive (fewer) employees or reduced wages for everyone.

usfliboi said:
[post="185390"][/post]​

Yo go Pitbull...... She ia absolutely right. And by the way, if US had an honest and forthright management team in CCY that could deal and negioate with their employees, we wouldn't be in this mess.

blueoceans said:
"The "market place" dictates survivability, not the courts or the government."

The marketplace also dictates your wages. Unfortunately, many thousands of people are willing & waiting to come in as F/A's at entry level, and the company cannot grow at a fast enough rate to balance new hires with old timers. When the company is not growing (or shrinking) there are likely only two choices. Greatly more productive (fewer) employees or reduced wages for everyone.
[post="185413"][/post]​

The market place will dictate...

At least it places both parties on an "even playing field" for negotiations.

Government and court involvement slants the negotiation process and places labor at a disadvantage. That is why THIS managment uses it.

U went into BK just to kill labor, throw out contracts and pensions. They knew that labor would be disadvantaged, and I call that cheating, unfair, and there needs to be legislative reform for the purpose of "fairness" to all parties.

If the market place is permitted to dictate my wage, then give labor an opportunity to "give and take" and reach "fair" compromise along this spectrum.

Otherwise, you risk, anarchy, revolt, protest, strike.

Latest posts