Us Airways Announces 'gofares,'

RowUnderDCA said:
Could he have meant that about 9 million people fly in any given day? That seems high. But a little less than 9 million people would be about 3% of the population.

How about 3% of the adult population flies in any given day?
That would be closer - since about 2 million people (2/3 of one percent) of the total US population flies every day. And I doubt it's the same 2 million people each and every day of the year. B)

sfb's source notes 638mil annual passengers in 2000... that means 1.7mil passengers per day, consistent with FWAAA, and making my "guestimate" extremely high...

Based on those numbers... About 0.5% of the US population flies on any average day... So I guess you could reasonably assume less than 1% of the population flies even on a peak day such as Thanksgiving Wednesday and Sunday...

How about 3% worldwide? I could see that seeing as many parts of the world don't have air service and there are still cultures that don't even realize that the airplane exists. But it is impossible that only 3% of the US population has ever flown.

But maybe that explains why it's so hard to fill those planes :D It has become so clear now...

PineyBob said:
Well I'll get a clarification, He MAY have meant more than once a year or something I failed to hear or ask for clarification. He could have said "regularly" Frankly I don't recall. I just remember "3% is really low", maybe I just heard it wrong.

Sorry For the clearly bogus info. My apologies
I've finally received word back from my contact at the ATA (vacations)....."The only data that we have is from a poll taken in 1997. That's pretty out of date for something like this -- since the real price of air travel consistently falls, more people can afford to fly each year. Let me know if you would like the 1997 data, though I really don't think it is relevant anymore."

Latest posts