Us Airways Seeking Relief From Union Contracts

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
US Airways seeking relief from union contracts
Wed Sep 22, 2004 08:14 PM ET
(Recasts with airline threat on contracts)
By John Crawley

WASHINGTON, Sept 22 (Reuters) - Bankrupt US Airways (UAIRQ.OB: Quote, Profile, Research) sought consent from its big unions on Wednesday for temporary relief from contracts and threatened to go to court to force changes if workers did not voluntarily agree.

Click here for Story

I have tremendous respect for my fellow union brothers and sisters at US Airways. Though the various unions have taken different approaches to beat back this obvious attempt on management’s part to break the back of organized labor at US Airways, each has demonstrated a commitment to earnestly represent the interests of their individual memberships. I applaud those efforts. Now more than ever, it is time to circle the wagons.

The latest announcement by management of their intention to run to a judge to circumvent their responsibility in the collective bargaining process, in my opinion, signals the end of the "war". Undoubtedly, a few battles will still be fought, but US Airways is finished if management follows through on their ultimatum. In a service industry, there is no hope under these conditions.

My thoughts are with you,

Hunter
17 years TWA/AA
Furloughed

Unions asked for interim relief

Complete Story

US Airways pilot talks could resume by weekend

Complete Story

There is an extensive airline and US Airways report available for review at www.chipsplace.com. Click on Rumor Control then Daily Airline News for the report.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Unions asked for interim relief

Complete Story

US Airways pilot talks could resume by weekend

Complete Story

There is an extensive airline and US Airways report available for review at www.chipsplace.com. Click on Rumor Control then Daily Airline News for the report.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="183310"][/post]​
can you provide any record of management stepping up with 20% givebacks too?
:shock:

What makes everybody think the judge will agree with the company..??

Also, what makes people think the judge will impose worst concession on the employee's..!!

Theres a good argument to be made here on behalf of labor.

I don't think there is a good argument on labors behalf. While the judge may sympathize with labors plight his job is to get the most money for the creditors. If cutting wages and benefits will help achieve that then that's what he'll do.

Nah. The present management has too little credibility to wield their swords effectively. While the judge may or may not sympathize with labor's plight, previous management malfeasance...and by extension their likelyhood of same in the future, will surely have a dulling effect on management's requests.

I think if that was the case then the creditors committee wouldn't be as quiet as they are. Lakefield is a respected guy in the business world.

i think the time has come for the unions to say to the judge, we need an outside court appointed trustee to run this airline as we have lost faith in this incompetent mgmt! if the judge imposes a new temp work wages, what will the new wages look like at mainline express although already topped at 13 an hr?

I don't know..."Quiet" is a relative term. Not shreiking on front page of the WSJ, or even the business pages of local rags? Any more or less quiet than the previous bankruptcy? I don't see it.

Plenty of non-employees in the business media scathing the management team/business plan for squandering the previous concessions.

While temporary cuts in pay only may be granted, the whole gutting of the present agreements ( and most of mainline ) is one helluva long shot, given the reasons above.

I'd say liquidation is more possible...and for most employees the actual result for them would be the same as the company getting their land-grab, either in "negotiations" or court approved: Out of the door.

This is what happens when you force people into lose-lose situations.........

• Banned
Lakefield has no airline experience and all the executives who made the failed POR are still employed except Siegel and Cohen, but Davis was Cohen's assistant.

The current management team has shown they have no idea on how to run an airline, they only know to threaten employees and take from their wallets.

Back