Us Airways Seizing The Day... Nope!

FLYLOW22

Advanced
Sep 8, 2002
As of this week AA will drop officially from 522 post TWA merger flights to 207. All but 53 of those flights will be in Replacement Jets. Below is a list of competetors who are increasing flight frequency and/or a/c size to take advantage of AAs inability to financially support a hub in STL.

Air Canada to YYZ +3 flights
America West to LAS +1
CAL to IAH and EWR upgrade to mainline from Replacement Jet
DAL to JFK +1 RJ
DAL to ATL +1 RJ
DAL to CVG upgrade to Replacement Jet 700 series aircrap and to mainline
DAL to SLC +2 RJ
F9 to DEN +2
NWA to DTW +1
NWA to MSP +1
YoNited to IAD +3 RJ
YoNited to DEN +2 RJ

And interestingly enough SWA will be removing one flight from
ABQ
CLE
CMH
OKC I guess less competition was better for the consumer there huh? riiiight.

The problem is that they turned STL into a mainline-express city. I believe they can only operate a maximum of 2 mainline flights a day under the terms of that contract, although it might only be 1 (as is the case in YUL and BTV) You would think with AA turning STL-PHL from mainline to all Eagle/Connection, US would put a mainline 319 at least to STL from PHL but nope. We still have Mesa CRJ's. ERJ's fly from PIT and CLT.

I find this funny!!!! :) U can't handle WN at BWI but would want to go into an airport like STL where there is a huge presence of them. It could work if U goes in and operates most of their routes that WN does not operate but the problem would be that the demand for thoes routes may be seasonal (e.g. Europe) or weak overall. Another reason why StL is being dumped by AA was the fact that the yields suck and they were getting better results from their other hubs. I know U should dump PIT and move the hub to the midwest or west coast but the best hubs are already gone and U right now is forced to be competitive by having an alliance with UA. TC

Andre-
I think the original poster was saying we should increase/upgrade service from our hubs and focus cities, not try and hub it.

But I agree with you, I wish they had a hub elsewhere- there would be a reason for a mainline. The current route structure is highly redundant and cannibalizes itself, and severly limits any growth possibilities.

FLYLOW22 said:
so what's wrong with using STL as the midwest hub??
Besides O/D numbers that are probably around PIT's (which US already does not really like) and the fact that LUV is there and has plenty of expertise kicking US to the curb (see BWI)?

Latest posts