US Airways to Customers--NO IFE for You!

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
Well the IFE experiment is over. According to Joe Brancatelli, who is usually spot on, US has abandoned its plan to install a new IFE system in the fleet .. which is no surprise. US (mis)management has allegedly told employees that they couldn't raise the financing to install the systems.

They had no problem, however, wasting manpower and resources in ripping existing systems out of the fleet.......

If true, just another example of the disconnect between management and customers, and another example of the high cost of cheap.

I wonder if some of the exec salaries and bonuses would have paid for it..........

Ugh, this is such a terrible airline!

I feel bad for telling First Class customers who were complaining about no IFE that we had something good in the works and it would hopefully be implemented over the next year or so.

Just another blunder by our crackpot Management team to keep our airline at the bottom of the heap for Customer Satisfaction.

I'm somewhat hesitant to believe that "abandoned" is the proper word, since a week ago at the SOTA they said they want to do it when they are able to get financing for it. In fact, IIRC a LiveTV trial is supposed to begin soon, this time on an east aircraft.

Frankly, I don't know how you brush off the financing issue as "spin." Just flip on the TV or read the paper and you will see that the credit market has been absolutely non-existent since Sept/Oct. Heck, AA, CO, and US have had trouble securing financing for new aircraft which almost certainly would have a better shot at being able to get funds for than an IFE system.

Apparently it costs several hundred thousands of dollars to equip just one plane, so it would be a rather big expenditure. That said, I wish US would pony up the money to atleast equip its TATL and Hawaii B757/767s with a new IFE system.

Well the IFE experiment is over. According to Joe Brancatelli, who is usually spot on, US has abandoned its plan to install a new IFE system in the fleet .. which is no surprise. US (mis)management has allegedly told employees that they couldn't raise the financing to install the systems.

They had no problem, however, wasting manpower and resources in ripping existing systems out of the fleet.......

If true, just another example of the disconnect between management and customers, and another example of the high cost of cheap.

I wonder if some of the exec salaries and bonuses would have paid for it..........
I can never understand why you guys get so upset, this place has been run into the ground since America West management took over. You think it's bad, try working here. :angry:

I really, really doubt they would have done it anyway. Kirby just declared that the product is nothing more than flying people and bags at the same time and dearly wishes he could sell soda. They think they are the leader in reducing airline travel to the equivalent of subway travel and have no concept of the joke they have made the company in the eyes of customers, employees, and the industry. Depressing.

I thought I had read here that the vendor was paying for the installs in exchange for sharing revenue. So, is it USAirways that couldn't get financing or the vendor (Lumexis)?

The markets are tougher to get credit, but if that's the case you have to wonder how the other big 5 are undertaking all sorts of aircraft refurbs and enhancements.....

I may be wrong, but wouldn't it be a tad irresponsible for the company to move forward on this with the current environment, especially since it may cost hundreds of thouands of dollhairs per aircraft?

I would think that jetBlue would be enjoying a *HUGE* revenue premium over CO/AA etc, if the majority of people paid a higher average fare for IFE.

If/ when they are able to secure proper financing, go for it. For now, how about investing the $$ in your employees ( :lol: )

Although the STC is probably narrowly targeted to the A319/320, perhaps it would make more sense to install this in the Y cabins of the 762 and 752 fleet that is staying and/or being converted to ETOPS. Also the A321's since they seem to do a lot of transcons. The fleet is smaller and the revenue potential is greater since they are longer flights where people can really enjoy the system.

Some of you may recall I had some gut-feeling doubts about this program when it was announced. Anyone care to guess how much Tempe supported Lumexis beyond lip service?

I have nothing against startups, been involved in a few myself, but for Lumexis’ sake, I wish they would have been able to partner with another airline to launch with. By the accounts I’ve read, they seem to have a superior product.

I'm looking forward to my transcon on CO on Monday. AVODs on the 757 they use. Very nice. And this is before the Live TV switchover they are working on. I would tell people to bring a book on US, but I suspect that those left still flying them can barely read.

I'll second that on CO's IFE...pretty nice.

I'd say I work half the time, relax and so their IFE the other half.

Did AUS-EWR the other day...and it was a 6:30 am departure...and I enjoyed a nice breakfast and watched a movie, Marley and Me. Relaxing and enjoyable.

Just one more reason I have exactly 2 segments on US Airways this year...and am close to Platinum on CO and well on my way to Gold on DL...would still like to get A-List on WN too.

Oh...and the new "boarding procedure" for US....please.... No world on where *A gets on....nice.

I saw that Kirby still wants to be selling drinks...have fun Scotty Boy! You won't be selling me so much as a reservation!

Back