Us Airways To Open El Salvador

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
US Airways to open El Salvador Passenger Baggage Call Center next week

US Airways ties to off-shore work is deepening. Currently the company has about a half-dozen people who work the help desk in San Salvador for the airline's Web site who conduct technical work.

On March 19 US Airways will close its Pittsburgh Centralized Baggage Service Office and this work is being outsourced to San Salvador too. Baggage-related calls will be directed to a new call center operated by an El Salvador company called Atento. Atento has begun the training for the new US Airways operation and they will be servicing calls beginning this week.

Atento will be servicing 25 percent of the baggage calls on Thursday, February 24 and Friday, February 25 and then the following week they will increase the call volume to 50 percent. Atento will function like the company’s Pittsburgh Call Center does today and will contact baggage delivery companies as well as US Airways stations to receive updates for our customers on lost, delayed or pilferage claims.

Meanwhile, US Airways has sent a handful of reservation staff supervisors, managers and workers to San Salvador to train reservation call center workers. Some reservations workers in San Salvador now handle calls for travelers coming from Latin America to the United States.

According to news reports the State Department's Web site said the country's average yearly per-capita income is $2,258 and earn about $6 per hour with no traditional U.S. benefits.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Now what the company needs to do is move its operating certificate to El Salvador.. Then they can hire pilots locally for $6000 a year.. Outsourcing of pilot jobs will begin shortly.

USA320Pilot said:
US Airways to open El Salvador Passenger Baggage Call Center next week

US Airways ties to off-shore work is deepening. Currently the company has about a half-dozen people who work the help desk in San Salvador for the airline's Web site who conduct technical work.

On March 19 US Airways will close its Pittsburgh Centralized Baggage Service Office and this work is being outsourced to San Salvador too. Baggage-related calls will be directed to a new call center operated by an El Salvador company called Atento. Atento has begun the training for the new US Airways operation and they will be servicing calls beginning this week.

Atento will be servicing 25 percent of the baggage calls on Thursday, February 24 and Friday, February 25 and then the following week they will increase the call volume to 50 percent. Atento will function like the company’s Pittsburgh Call Center does today and will contact baggage delivery companies as well as US Airways stations to receive updates for our customers on lost, delayed or pilferage claims.

Meanwhile, US Airways has sent a handful of reservation staff supervisors, managers and workers to San Salvador to train reservation call center workers. Some reservations workers in San Salvador now handle calls for travelers coming from Latin America to the United States.

According to news reports the State Department's Web site said the country's average yearly per-capita income is $2,258 and earn about $6 per hour with no traditional U.S. benefits.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="250960"][/post]​

justaumechanic said:
Now what the company needs to do is move its operating certificate to El Salvador.. Then they can hire pilots locally for $6000 a year.. Outsourcing of pilot jobs will begin shortly.
[post="250963"][/post]​

No. No. 320 thinks it's imperative for the company to outsource YOUR job, not his.

I've seen a bunch of our old DC-9's (now flying freight) in El Salvador and mostly Costa Rica. Whoever owns them never bothered to change the old logo colors.

A320,

Your post reads like a news article. Where did you find this information?

Because.....it is wrong. Atento has been taking the website tech calls for quite a while, and there are more than "a half dozen." They also give fake English names, and refuse to tell passengers where they are located.....if pressed they will only say "offshore." The passengers are NOT happy with the service they are providing, I'm sure they will like it even less when they can not speak to someone in the US about their lost baggage. THAT will go over like a.....well.....like a lost bag, but magnified!

So, where are you getting your numbers, and your dates?

Danette Troiani, Manager- System Baggage Services, sent the Passenger Baggage Service information to each station manager in an email yesterday.

In regard to the Web Site and Reservations information, that came from other sources.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

A320,

FYI, Atento is not an El Salvadorian company. They are global, check out their website if you can tear yourself away from this site.

Also, passengers never reach a live person on the baggage service line, it is always automated Mr. Alex, or they are told "we are too busy to take your call, please call back later." Click, it then hangs up on them. Then they call us screaming and yelling and not having a fabulous customer experience. Since you have all the 411, is Alex going to still be employed, and will he be renamed Alejandro?

Baggage call center as it is today in the US, does not call anywhere to check for bags, they teletype. Now, keep in mind they are responding to email requests off of USAirways.com, which they are referred to right before they are hung up on.

So again, where are you getting your 411?

US Airways Watch - Saturday, February 26, 2005

By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

US Airways, which plans to close a 44-person Findlay baggage call center March 19, is beginning to route some calls to Atento, a San Salvador-based call center company that also handles calls from customers having problems booking tickets on www.usairways.com. Once the Findlay center, located inside RIDC Park West, closes next month, all calls from passengers seeking their lost luggage will go through Atento. Some US Airways employees from the Findlay facility are helping train the Atento workers.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

As I posted in another topic

OUTSOURCING AT IT'S FINEST!! Now we'll have to learn spanish if we loose our luggage and make future reservations.

If your luggage is lost in PHL please call 1-800-SCREW-U. Press 1 for Spanglish, 2 for Engish, and 3 because no one will find your bag ever!

When will US Management WAKE UP? This is not good for the company. Only someone pocket. And we all know it's not the employees. If you all were smart, the next time an irrate customer has issues with their luggage, hand them a card with Lakefield and Bronner's home phone number on it. Let them do the work in finding people's lost luggage.

I know who I'm going to call from now on.

It's Ok, 'cos the calls will just come through to res and we will look up the baggage record, attempt to read it as best we can and then proceed to get yelled at because it is with the delivery company.

BIG NEWS!

Shuttle America is being shut down and replaced by a new subsidiary, Shuttle Salvador, which will use crews contracted from El Salvador flying Saabs for USX. The crews won't speak any English, so pax will be handed welcome cards upon boarding that list the FA's name and ask that they respect the fact that he/she's only there for safety.

Here's an example of a card that will be handed to passenger upon boarding the aircraft:

"Hello, my name is Rutelina. I do no speak English - I am only here for your safety. I will serve you drink once we take of. When I come through aisle please nod your head if you want drink. have a flight good."

Shuttle Salvador is a key element of the US Airways Transformation Plan. The Company expects to save millions in costs annually from this move.

There will be a TREMENDOUS customer backlash, especially when Res is outsourced. Do they know that there is legislation pending in states which will prohibit the states from doing business with companies which outsource?

Do they also know that many companies which had outsourced are now bringing the work back because the errors and customer dissatisfaction are MORE costly than the projected savings?

The backlash will be strong...

My best to you all.