Us Cuts Flights At Phl, Fll, And Clt

Don't be too terribly surprised if these 11 737's are not the last planes to leave the fleet in addition to the 25 contained in the GE agreement......

There are 24 Boeings (18 737's, 3 757's, & 3 767's) in a motion to reject aircraft leases filed by the company. The hearing on the motion has been rescheduled a couple of times and it's now scheduled for 3/31/2005.

Jim

AA is turning up the heat too:

MIAMI, March 2 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Airlines today begins non-stop service between its Miami hub and Hamilton, Bermuda.
American's non-stop flight from Miami to Bermuda begins today Wednesday, March 2, and service from Bermuda to Miami will start on Thursday, March 3. Initially, there will be two weekly flights in each direction on Boeing 737 aircraft. Starting June 10, 2005, there will be five weekly flights in each direction.

700UW said:
AA is turning up the heat too:

[post="252123"][/post]​

And as a result, USAirways is not resuming FLL-BDA. They lost thier subisides to AA. Despite the fact that US Airways' FLL-BDA flight made a profit (and US Airways never recieved a dime from the Bermudan government's subsidy money), they refused to increase frequency or make it year-round. AA comes in, says "hey, we'll run MIA-BDA year-round, 5x a week", and the subsidies now go to AA.

Also, in May, Lauderdale-Providence is gone, and Hartford and Baltimore become Saturday-only, though this is expected to be a seasonal change.

Delta is turning up the heat too. FLL-NAS starts 1 May 2005.

delldude said:
it will be interesting to see the knee jerk when we get assaulted in PIT and CLT in may...
mayday...mayday...
[post="253107"][/post]​

At least USAirways sank slow enough to give enough warning to get the life rafts out and have other boats to come rescue. Seems the bilge pumps can't keep up anymore. It going to be a fast ride to bottom.

700UW said:
Looks like another failed Transformation Plan, no wonder they US did not file the POR on 2/15/05, they once again have shown they have no clue on how to run an airline.
Get Ready for ROUND FOUR!
[post="250848"][/post]​

The problem for FLL is that it is an essentially a one-runway operation. The airport is runway capacity limited and the operation reflects that. Jet Blue, Southwest, Song and Spirit all have a major presence and they are all attempting to operate significant capacity in this city.

It is obvious looking at the airport diagram in the jep chart. Don't they teach that at business school?

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." Groucho Marx

Groucho said:
The problem for FLL is that it is an essentially a one-runway operation. The airport is runway capacity limited and the operation reflects that. Jet Blue, Southwest, Song and Spirit all have a major presence and they are all attempting to operate significant capacity in this city.

[post="253155"][/post]​

Don't forget FLL's largest carrier, Delta, with seventy flights (only 16 are Song) to 23 cities. AA also has a significant pressence.

The runway issue is a major one, and FLL is getting too crowded. In may start to work in MIA's favour...jetBlue really can't add much more at FLL, and is looking at opening up MIA as their fourth hub/focus city this year.

Groucho said:
The problem for FLL is that it is an essentially a one-runway operation.
[post="253155"][/post]​
Amazing how NRT and LGW* can be such major operations on one runway...

* At least I think LGW is still a one-runway operation -- haven't been there in a while -- I'm more of an LHR kind of guy.

Those UP flts out of FLL are a laugh. It's not the company's fault but on a daily basis I get 5-10 pax going EWRFLLNAS US/UP the problem is that we cannot check them in on the connection. In the system it is showing as a 25 min connection which is illeagal.Worse is that when the get to FLL they have to be sent to the tkt ctr to have docs done and seat assigned. I know some of the bookings have been done by travel agents and these were the orig bookings and times. But I even got one from USAIRWAYS.com.
I have tried to convince some to go through CLT get there and hour later. If they miss the conx in FLL , the next one is about 8 hrs later. :shock:

Just for grins, I checked the loads starting tomorrow (7th) thru the end of the month. These are the average booked LF's:

FLL-SAL - 73%
SAL-FLL - 67%

FLL-PTY - 75%
PTY-FLL - 78%

Jim

Bear96 said:
Amazing how NRT and LGW* can be such major operations on one runway...
* At least I think LGW is still a one-runway operation -- haven't been there in a while -- I'm more of an LHR kind of guy.
[post="253214"][/post]​

LGW is, indeed, still a single runway operation. A couple of years ago the UK grovernment did an extensive study about where to site an additional runway in the SE UK (#2 at STN, #2 at LGW, or a new short 3rd parallel runway at LHR). I forget which was the recommendation (memory says STN followed by #3 at LFR -- but I could be very wrong), but the whole thing is still bogged down in discussions. I'll be amazed if a new runway is built at any of the 3 main LON airports in the next decade.

And you thought it was tough building runways in the US ...

BoeingBoy said:
Just for grins, I checked the loads starting tomorrow (7th) thru the end of the month. These are the average booked LF's:

FLL-SAL - 73%
SAL-FLL - 67%

FLL-PTY - 75%
PTY-FLL - 78%

Jim
[post="253287"][/post]​

Yep, something is up with that.

Well. In all fairness... We know that High Load Factor does not equal profits... But it does suggest that a profitable market could be built (if its not profitable already... probably not with the typical introductory fares, etc).